We're 2-3 years

OrangeAllDay

From being competitive and that's alright. The Donnie Tyndall fiasco cost us, but Barnes is a good coach. I saw a good coach with no size and no consistent scorer today. If Jordan Bone turns into the beast we think he'll be by the time he's a junior will back being competitive. Love the effort today but the talent is young and not there yet

Reactions: 8 people
I would like to give Barnes time to recruit and work his system, but im afraid I will never feel the same enthusiasm and joy as I did when we beat #1 Memphis in 08.

Reactions: 3 people
From being competitive? Pretty sure we were just competitive with 2 top 20 teams. I know what you mean, but I wouldn't use the word competitive.

We're 2-3 years from being the real deal.

Reactions: 4 people
I disagree completely. No reason we can't be a tourney team next year

Reactions: 1 person
I really like what Barnes is doing. They play hard all the time. I believe they will win several games this year that they are picked to lose.

I disagree completely. No reason we can't be a tourney team next year

Pretty much where I stand. We should also see an uptick in recruiting.

There is NO reason a basketball team can't turn it around with any two of the following

1. Solid coaching
2. Solid talent
3. Gritty play
4. Solid defense.

5 on 5 means that effort and talent are amplified in the results. I expect to be in the NCAA each year.

I need to see 16+ wins this year to think they have a chance at a NCAAT next season...I don't see a team making a 7-8 game jump in wins when they're 99% the same team.

I need to see 16+ wins this year to think they have a chance at a NCAAT next season...I don't see a team making a 7-8 game jump in wins when they're 99% the same team.

It is very possible to do so. You may lose 5 or 6 games a year in the last few possessions. With experience they may not make those mistakes that cost them the game. Or they may make shots they didn't make the previous year. It's very possible.

It always takes a team a couple of seasons to fully reflect the system and philosophy of the coach. I truly like what I see. I agree with z and others, there's enough there to tell me the tourney is possible next season. My qualifier is needing one more big man for the rotation that can contribute some good minutes by mid-season next year. Can't play small ball every game and be a tourney team IMO.

It always takes a team a couple of seasons to fully reflect the system and philosophy of the coach. I truly like what I see. I agree with z and others, there's enough there to tell me the tourney is possible next season. My qualifier is needing one more big man for the rotation that can contribute some good minutes by mid-season next year. Can't play small ball every game and be a tourney team IMO.
So true. But I wish we could land two big guys. Maybe a grad transfer that isn't a project or emergency body to fill a spot.

It doesn't always take a couple of seasons to reflect the system and philosophy of a coach. Example, it took Eric Musselman at Nevada half the season in his first year there. He took a team that had 3 guys sitting out that transferred in and 2 freshman. He lost the all conference player AJ West who quit 8 games in. They went from 9 wins with previous coach to 24 wins with only 2 freshman added to the roster from the previous season and his freshman now sophomore Cam Oliver is being projected to be drafted in the upcoming NBA draft.

Last edited:
It is very possible to do so. You may lose 5 or 6 games a year in the last few possessions. With experience they may not make those mistakes that cost them the game. Or they may make shots they didn't make the previous year. It's very possible.

How many teams in the last 5 years have returned the same head coach, 11/13 scholarship players, not added a top 100 recruit, and increased their win total by 8+?

I'm thinking more likely 2 years rather than 3. Depending on recruiting of course. By the time these freshmen are junior they just might be pretty awesome. I wonder what the ceiling for Fulkerson is. He has flat out impressed me so far. He puts on some muscle weight he could be a beast.

How many teams in the last 5 years have returned the same head coach, 11/13 scholarship players, not added a top 100 recruit, and increased their win total by 8+?

How many people care enough to research that? Not me. But it is possible. It's not like Tennessee is getting blown out. This team has talent. I can't believe some of you focus on the downside so much. These recruits are quiet capable of improving. And if a good graduate transfer becomes available you never know what could happen. I would rather focus on the coach improving this team than worrying that they will suck before this season is over.

I could see 14-16 wins this year and 16-18 wins next year which puts you on bubble for NIT and maybe bubble for NCAA. The reason I say that is the SEC needs to get stronger and last year 3 SEC teams went to the NCAA but 9 teams had 18-28 wins. That's a lot of teams in a conference with at least 18 wins but very few tourney bids.

We're a coach who cares (about more than his retirement) away from being a tourney team.

Just your typical "Barnes is only padding his 401k" drivel. The man doesn't want to jump up and down screaming, paint his chest, or anything like that, and people immediately conclude that he doesn't care.

Please show me where I've ever said anything like that...

I'm patiently waiting

You just did. Name another coach that had success that wanted this job that wasn't an up and comer.

I don't care if a guy paints his chest and jumps up and down. I just want a guy who gives a :censored: about the school and program. I don't think Barnes really does. I understand why he was hired, but I don't have to like it (I did at the time).

I do want a coach who actually tries to recruit (I don't think anyone is impressed with Barnes recruiting).

And yes Barnes has "had" success. Not that much recently though. There's a reason he was fired.

I don't care if a guy paints his chest and jumps up and down. I just want a guy who gives a :censored: about the school and program. I don't think Barnes really does. I understand why he was hired, but I don't have to like it (I did at the time).

I do want a coach who actually tries to recruit (I don't think anyone is impressed with Barnes recruiting).

And yes Barnes has "had" success. Not that much recently though. There's a reason he was fired.
What makes you think Barnes doesn't care? Do you know him personally? Are you present when he speaks to recruits? I'm sick of fans thinking they know what Barnes thinks. He is out there getting the non conference schedule tougher. He isn't recruiting one and done players so everyone thinks he can't recruit. I'm sick and tired of you guys coming in basketball forums and downing the coach based on your opinions. Barnes wouldn't be at Tennessee if he didn't want to be here.

What makes you think Barnes doesn't care? Do you know him personally? Are you present when he speaks to recruits? I'm sick of fans thinking they know what Barnes thinks. He is out there getting the non conference schedule tougher. He isn't recruiting one and done players so everyone thinks he can't recruit. I'm sick and tired of you guys coming in basketball forums and downing the coach based on your opinions. Barnes wouldn't be at Tennessee if he didn't want to be here.

Barnes isn't the self-promoter like Pearl is and TN fans aren't used to that. I agree... just because Barnes is quiet doesn't mean he's not working. IMO with only two total open scholarships in the next two recruiting cycles a better use of his time is teaching the 7 freshmen and 3 sophomores.

VN Store

Back