Plan is to redshirt Jalen Johnson (and other notes from Barnes)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
As mentioned in the redshirt predictions thread, Rick Barnes said tonight that he plans to redshirt freshman guard Jalen Johnson.

Jalen Johnson Bio - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paZQbsmRU6U[/youtube]

Rick Barnes:

"We've decided here the last few days to talk with him and his people -- we're going to redshirt him. He along with Jacob Fleschman, we're going to redshirt both of those guys."

"We obviously have a lot of numbers. We wouldn't do that, I've never believed in redshirting guys that you didn't have a great belief in to be really good."

"I'll tell you this, I believe Jalen is one of our more skilled players and I think he is a talent, but the last 10 days leading up to the games he really wore down physically, because he's worked really hard at trying to get his weight up. He's been a real pleasure to coach."

"It was a tough decision, and we didn't know what we were going to do -- we really weren't even thinking about, until really the last 10 days where you could tell he'd really worn down some."

"We're excited because we think he's a guy we project as being a guy a year from now when Robert Hubbs leaves that would be a position that we'd see him stepping in. So I think it's going to be a great year for him."

"I think it's going to be a great thing for Jalen because we think he's got a great, great future ahead of him."

Other notes from Barnes:

-We can be a good offensive team but right now we don't rebound well enough and we don't defend well enough.

-Detrick Mostella out-rebounded three of four frontline guys. That's a problem.

-Jordan Bowden can score and he's made a conscious effort to defend better. He was out there tonight for more offense.

-We need John Fulkerson to give us more. He can rebound the ball but picked up four fouls.

-Our energy dropped tonight a couple of times after getting a lead.

-The team will leave Thursday for Maui.

-We're asking Jordan Bone to use his speed and quickness for us in transition but he really struggled defensively tonight.

Box Score:

CxWXF9uWEAAEVBP.jpg

Full size link: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxWXF9uWEAAEVBP.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Why did we take Evans as a grad transfer if he can't see the floor more than 9 minutes? I dont understand this at all.

Why did we take Evans as a grad transfer if he can't see the floor more than 9 minutes? I dont understand this at all.

Best available?
Needed to mix in mature, experienced player? More senior leadership?
Good goon mentality to have when needed off of the bench?
Can push Alexander, Williams, Schofield, Fulkerson?
Adds depth in the paint when A, W, S, and/or F get into foul trouble?

Best available?
Needed to mix in mature, experienced player? More senior leadership?
Good goon mentality to have when needed off of the bench?
Can push Alexander, Williams, Schofield, Fulkerson?
Adds depth in the paint when A, W, S, and/or F get into foul trouble?

I was excited about this guy coming in and maybe getting 7 to 10 rebounds a game. But he seems lost on the court. Maybe he has jet lag. LOL

Reactions: 1 person

Experience in the locker room with a bunch of young guys. He was a role player wit a bad team. I don't know why people thought he would be a big time player here.

Jalen Johnson should be a good one. I was surprised they're slapping the RS on him. However injuries tend to always happen so I wouldn't be surprised to see them take it off him halfway through the season.

What evidence did you have that suggested he'd be a big time rebounder for us?

Don't know if he meant "big time rebounder" or just "rebounder", he grabs one about every four minutes of court time. Williams and Hubbs only had one each in about 50 minutes of PT last night.

Don't know if he meant "big time rebounder" or just "rebounder", he grabs one about every four minutes of court time. Williams and Hubbs only had one each in about 50 minutes of PT last night.
KTOWN brought up the not knowing why people thought he would be a big time player. I just thought maybe he could give us some rebounds because of the way he played for Utah state. He seems like a kind of guy that would battle on the boards. But he can't even find the court. I honestly just thought he would be that kind of role player. Never expected points from him.

Why are using BIG TIME. I never said BIG TIME. I said I was hoping he could give us 7 to 10 rebounds a game. I never once said he would be a BIG TIME rebounder.

Ok, well what evidence did you have to suggest 7-10 rebounds per game? I thought he would contribute more than he has, but I definitely wasn't thinking a double digit rebound type guy.

KTOWN brought up the not knowing why people thought he would be a big time player. I just thought maybe he could give us some rebounds because of the way he played for Utah state. He seems like a kind of guy that would battle on the boards. But he can't even find the court. I honestly just thought he would be that kind of role player. Never expected points from him.

That's what I don't get, his scoring has always been ahead of his rebounding, he was never known as a rebounder. I would've been more likely to expect 8ppg from him than 8rpg.

Well right now your best rebounders per minute are: Fulkerson, Mostella, Alexander, Williams and then Evans.

Well right now your best rebounders per minute are: Fulkerson, Mostella, Alexander, Williams and then Evans.
Barnes wasn't happy that Mostella out rebounded all of his bigs last night.

Some of these guys might want to try a little pine tar. never seen so many fumble fingered attempts while Evans stands and watches.

Barnes wasn't happy that Mostella out rebounded all of his bigs last night.

Some of these guys might want to try a little pine tar. never seen so many fumble fingered attempts while Evans stands and watches.

Good for Mostella but bad for the other guys. Thoughts on Johnson red shirting?

Ok, well what evidence did you have to suggest 7-10 rebounds per game? I thought he would contribute more than he has, but I definitely wasn't thinking a double digit rebound type guy.

Hints the word hoping. At 6'9 we needed someone who could help Alexander on the boards.

Good for Mostella but bad for the other guys. Thoughts on Johnson red shirting?

I have to take Barnes at his word. Said he doesn't normally red shirt role player type guys but thinks Johnson will develop into an out standing all around player. who am I to question that?

IMO, Evans seems like a better version of Steven F'ing Pearl. He can catch and pass the ball at the top of the key and he will give the occasional after the whistle shove in the back to piss off an opposing player. I hope he's not in the doghouse and just hasn't been an advantageous matchup so far.

I have to take Barnes at his word. Said he doesn't normally red shirt role player type guys but thinks Johnson will develop into an out standing all around player. who am I to question that?

I think it's smart, not gonna play 13 players deep, why burn his year for maybe 5-8 games and a total of 25 minutes played in garbage time? Let the kid get stronger which he desperately needs to and also help space the classes.

VN Store

Back