The Smoky Mountains Are Actually On Fire Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. Rick Barnes talked about being more aggressive in shot taking during his presser and I definitely agree. Definitely more of an emphasis on drive and kicks and more off ball movement leading to easier shots.

2. It's only been two games and I'm beyond impressed with Jordan Bone. Friday he was definitely the best player for Tennessee but he didn't get the ball out to teammates and get others involved. Tonight he did a great job looking for teammates and I will take a 4 to 1 ast/to ratio from my starting point guard. He has an NBA level first step also and I like his explosiveness.

3. On the comeback by Appalachian State, I think it's mostly on the players but also I am going to put a little bit of blame on Rick Barnes here. With a team this young you can't play prevent which is what they did offensively and defensively. They went back to default on offense and lack intensity on defense. Young team, so that kind of let down isn't shocking but as a coach you have to continue to attack on both ends with a team this inexperienced.

4. I'm not giving up on John Fulkerson or anything like that, so don't take it this way. I love his hustle and athleticism and I believe he has what it takes to be an SEC level player but I just don't know what role he will have going forward. He doesn't really have one discernible skill other than dunking that can really get him to another level. He hustles his ass off and he has great athleticism so there is something there. However, I think it's going to take awhile.

5. Get ready you guys, because it's going to posted a good amount this year...#LetTheAdmiralSetSail. Schofield needs to play more.

6. Appalachian State was 10-26 from three. I'm so sick of seeing teams light us up from deep. It's been an issue since like 2014. Just super annoying. I know i'm exaggerating some but it feels like this has been going on forever.

7. Really like what Jordan Bowden brought today offensively. His release reminds me some of Jordan McRae and that body type also brings up memories but I like his confidence. You need an irrational confidence guy and Bowden has that kind of mindset.

8. Love what Kyle Alexander is becoming but he should have 12-14 boards tonight. He has to have more want to down there. 17 offensive rebounds against a team like Appalachian State is upsetting.

9. It's only game two and we have so much more to go but can you imagine what a Bone/Turner/Phillips backcourt will look like in two years? Dear Lord that is going to be something special. You know how it seems like there's always one Big East team a year that has three veteran guards that can do everything and they are super consistent and everything clicks but they all have that one thing that separates them and brings a unique skill set? I think those three will eventually become that. And that doesn't even include Kwe Parker.

10. Overall, it was a positive night. Tennessee played a very solid game for 34 minutes. The last six sucked but I'm mostly chalking that up to a young team that hasn't been there yet. The backcourt looked better tonight and I love the potential that group has. Hubbs did what he had to do (despite the fact he needs 15 shots a game) and thought he was consistent tonight. I really liked the pressure defense Barnes showed and he needs that for Maui. It's going to be a very difficult trip. Wisconsin is the first game, then either Oregon or Georgetown the next day. Getting a win in the first two days will be a huge success. This will be growing pains (a lot like when Cuonzo took his first team down) but I think we are going to see who is really ready to become part of the rotation and ready to become a player on this team. The fun thing about young teams like this is from night to night different guys are going to show up (like Jordan Bowden tonight). Should be a very good challenge for this young team.

Reactions: 7 people
Barnes called out Hubbs for his lack of rebounds while giving Mostella props for grabbing a bunch of them. He called out another weak rebounder too... can't remember who. Probably Williams.

Barnes called a time out and spent most of it telling off Bones.

TN played best before Schofield entered the game. I wonder if he's been sick or has an issue. Maybe hitting a sophomore wall. I think he entered 8 minutes into the game.

Last edited:
This team is beyond horrible. If they win 10 games they should consider that amazing

Give this team time to jell, a lot of youth.......they'll get it.

I would love to see them in Maui.....going to see if my points will get me there :0)

I don't care what anybody says about Fulkerson. Mark it down the kid will be very successful here at UT.

Reactions: 2 people
lots of rotation...trying to find the best fit I guess and/or showing in order to compete we're going 7-10 deep playing fast break all the way ...rebounding going to be a big issue down low...Bone is real deal...and,

GO VOLS!

Very pleased with the freshmen minus Fulkerson. I don't see that one working out.

Evans is beyond lost.

1. Rick Barnes talked about being more aggressive in shot taking during his presser and I definitely agree. Definitely more of an emphasis on drive and kicks and more off ball movement leading to easier shots.

2. It's only been two games and I'm beyond impressed with Jordan Bone. Friday he was definitely the best player for Tennessee but he didn't get the ball out to teammates and get others involved. Tonight he did a great job looking for teammates and I will take a 4 to 1 ast/to ratio from my starting point guard. He has an NBA level first step also and I like his explosiveness.

3. On the comeback by Appalachian State, I think it's mostly on the players but also I am going to put a little bit of blame on Rick Barnes here. With a team this young you can't play prevent which is what they did offensively and defensively. They went back to default on offense and lack intensity on defense. Young team, so that kind of let down isn't shocking but as a coach you have to continue to attack on both ends with a team this inexperienced.

4. I'm not giving up on John Fulkerson or anything like that, so don't take it this way. I love his hustle and athleticism and I believe he has what it takes to be an SEC level player but I just don't know what role he will have going forward. He doesn't really have one discernible skill other than dunking that can really get him to another level. He hustles his ass off and he has great athleticism so there is something there. However, I think it's going to take awhile.

5. Get ready you guys, because it's going to posted a good amount this year...#LetTheAdmiralSetSail. Schofield needs to play more.

6. Appalachian State was 10-26 from three. I'm so sick of seeing teams light us up from deep. It's been an issue since like 2014. Just super annoying. I know i'm exaggerating some but it feels like this has been going on forever.

7. Really like what Jordan Bowden brought today offensively. His release reminds me some of Jordan McRae and that body type also brings up memories but I like his confidence. You need an irrational confidence guy and Bowden has that kind of mindset.

8. Love what Kyle Alexander is becoming but he should have 12-14 boards tonight. He has to have more want to down there. 17 offensive rebounds against a team like Appalachian State is upsetting.

9. It's only game two and we have so much more to go but can you imagine what a Bone/Turner/Phillips backcourt will look like in two years? Dear Lord that is going to be something special. You know how it seems like there's always one Big East team a year that has three veteran guards that can do everything and they are super consistent and everything clicks but they all have that one thing that separates them and brings a unique skill set? I think those three will eventually become that. And that doesn't even include Kwe Parker.

10. Overall, it was a positive night. Tennessee played a very solid game for 34 minutes. The last six sucked but I'm mostly chalking that up to a young team that hasn't been there yet. The backcourt looked better tonight and I love the potential that group has. Hubbs did what he had to do (despite the fact he needs 15 shots a game) and thought he was consistent tonight. I really liked the pressure defense Barnes showed and he needs that for Maui. It's going to be a very difficult trip. Wisconsin is the first game, then either Oregon or Georgetown the next day. Getting a win in the first two days will be a huge success. This will be growing pains (a lot like when Cuonzo took his first team down) but I think we are going to see who is really ready to become part of the rotation and ready to become a player on this team. The fun thing about young teams like this is from night to night different guys are going to show up (like Jordan Bowden tonight). Should be a very good challenge for this young team.

Seems like that's Villanova every year.

Reactions: 1 person
#FreeAdmiral will be similar to #FreeArmani a few years back. I'm kind of shocked that he's not rebounding the ball well like he was last year?

Glad to see Kyle Alexander really progressing. I got tired of hearing everyone say that he was a waste of a scholarship. It's been a long time since we have had a rim protector with his length and height. He will be special here.

Jordan Bowden and Lamonte Turner are our best 3 point shooters. Bowden's game really does remind me of JMac's. He is a further along than JMac was his freshman year too, so that's promising. Turner can really shoot the ball.

Grant William's was a little disappointing on the boards tonight, he will need to step it up. He reminds me of Stokes a lot. He will be a great player here.

I love what Phillips brings on the defensive side of the ball. One of our best on ball defenders. He brings a ton of pressure. Him and Kwe Parker will cause A LOT of TO's.

Mostella can really rebound the ball...when he wants to.

Hubbs...like Z said, he needs 15 shots a game and needs to crash the boards hard.

I'm glad to see that Jalen Johnson is redshirting. He is super talented and athletic, but needs to put on weight. This well also split up this huge freshman class.

Fulkerson will need some time, yes he isn't the really great at one thing, but he gives something that you can't coach and that's hustle, which will get you in games. He will be fine here. In the ideal situation he probably should have redshirted, but we really need him to play this year. He's a taller, but weaker version of what Armani Moore was. The good news is you can add strength.

Last edited:
Bone has that stutterstep-and-go quick move the likes of which I can't recall ever seeing in the program. I think we're just getting a taste of how explosive he can be getting to the basket, either to score or get the assist. Apparently he's in Barnes doghouse because of defense; if he can fix those issues I think he could be our most dynamic player.

Bone has that stutterstep-and-go quick move the likes of which I can't recall ever seeing in the program. I think we're just getting a taste of how explosive he can be getting to the basket, either to score or get the assist. Apparently he's in Barnes doghouse because of defense; if he can fix those issues I think he could be our most dynamic player.

Sick and tired of Barnes doghouse act. Let Bone and the others learn on the floor and coach their ass up in practice.

Sick and tired of Barnes doghouse act. Let Bone and the others learn on the floor and coach their ass up in practice.

Well he did play 18 minutes which is a lot if he's failing on defense. Turner had a better game and had 20+ minutes. Plus Bowden had 20+ minutes.

Schofield is who really seems to have found the doghouse unless he's been sick or hurt.

Well he did play 18 minutes which is a lot if he's failing on defense. Turner had a better game and had 20+ minutes. Plus Bowden had 20+ minutes.

Schofield is who really seems to have found the doghouse unless he's been sick or hurt.

Bone played very little in the second half. That's when Barnes was on the power trip.

I have no problem using the bench as a motivator but when all else has failed. It's to damn early in the year to have tried all else for Barnes in this case

Evans is in the doghouse bad as well

Bone played very little in the second half. That's when Barnes was on the power trip.

I have no problem using the bench as a motivator but when all else has failed. It's to damn early in the year to have tried all else for Barnes in this case

I don't think Bone was solely in the dog house, I think a part of it was we had the lead and Turned didn't get much run in the first game. It was pretty clear that Bone could get the offense rolling and was one of the better players out there, yes Barnes was upset with his defense, but I think it had something to do with trying to get Turner some minutes too.

Barnes shows some fire and emotion and he's on a power trip. Barnes stays calm and he's sleeping, doesn't care, and has one foot out the door to retirement. SMH.

Reactions: 2 people
Should also be mentioned that a lot of great coaches use taking away playing time as a motivator for better defensive effort. During the Duke/Kansas game last night Coach K and Self were pulling certain players and sometimes for long stretches. And Bilas specifically said that would continue for those guys until they started buying in better defensively.

I can see why Barnes doing it might grind our gears a little more, cause we're more in tune with this team, Barnes pressers etc. But it happens and it happens early in the season.

I'm not as surprised as most seem to be on Admiral, he's just not playing well and we have options where as last year we didn't. I mentioned last night that him and Williams are very similar players in terms of height/weight/position, so naturally they're gonna battle for minutes, well...

Fg%
AS 22%
GW 54%

3pt
AS 0-2
GW 2-2

RPG
AS 2.5
GW 5.5

BPG
AS 0
GW 2

SPG
AS 0
GW 0.5

Right now Grant Williams is just playing better basketball, and like I said those 2 are competing for minutes. Admiral is gonna have to start playing better and finding ways to contribute when his shot isn't falling if he is gonna see his minutes increase. It's a little bit like what's going on with Phillips and Mostella, same position and right now the underclassmen is simply playing better.

Last edited:
I'm not as surprised as most seem to be on Admiral, he's just not playing well and we have options where as last year we didn't. I mentioned last night that him and Williams are very similar players in terms of height/weight/position, so naturally they're gonna battle for minutes, well...

Fg%
AS 22%
GW 54%

3pt
AS 0-2
GW 2-2

RPG
AS 2.5
GW 5.5

BPG
AS 0
GW 2

SPG
AS 0
GW 0.5

Right now Grant Williams is just playing better basketball, and like I said those 2 are competing for minutes. Admiral is gonna have to start playing better and finding ways to contribute when his shot isn't falling if he is gonna see his minutes increase. It's a little bit like what's going on with Phillips and Mostella, same position and right now the underclassmen is simply playing better.

Except Williams is an absolutely dreadful defender right now and Admiral is above average

Except Williams is an absolutely dreadful defender right now and Admiral is above average

I don't feel as though Schofield is much of an upgrade defensively...and right now Williams is giving you 2.5 turnovers defensively a game Schofield is not, so that helps make up for it, add in the much better offensive game and I get it.

Also...Barnes going small and playing Hubbs at the 4 cuts into the available minutes for Schofield, just the way I see it.

I don't think Bone was solely in the dog house, I think a part of it was we had the lead and Turned didn't get much run in the first game. It was pretty clear that Bone could get the offense rolling and was one of the better players out there, yes Barnes was upset with his defense, but I think it had something to do with trying to get Turner some minutes too.

This
Especially important if Kwe's injury lingers.

Tony Harris had that quick step and blow by as well.

If you watched any tape on Evans at all, you knew coming in he was strictly a pick and roll offensive minded guy that rarely played defense or rebounded. a little late in the game to be developing that side of his game.

Alexander is our best hope for rim protection and rebounding this season and he seems to improve every time out. Williams will be number 2 when he gets his confidence built up.

VN Store

Back