Barnes hater or sheep?

Should Barnes be fired now?

• Total voters
Let this year play out. Year three needs to be a winning record. Year four we need to challenge for the SEC title.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess throw me in the hater group. He never should've been hired in the first place. Recruiting has been my biggest concern. I want to get back to the success we had during the Pearl era. It won't happen with RB based on his recruiting.

More than anything, I hope he proves me wrong. A winning record and any postseason, and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Reactions: 5 people
Let this year play out. Year three needs to be a winning record. Year four we need to challenge for the SEC title.

IMO a year 4 title isn't possible, but challenging for it or at least competing with every team in the SEC is reasonable. I'd set the "goals" as year 2 NIT and year 3 NCAA. I'd make those requirements in years 3 and 4 respectively (not taking into account injuries and other uncontrollable factors).

Reactions: 2 people
I guess throw me in the hater group. He never should've been hired in the first place. Recruiting has been my biggest concern. I want to get back to the success we had during the Pearl era. It won't happen with RB based on his recruiting.

More than anything, I hope he proves me wrong. A winning record and any postseason, and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

After the Pearl situation, the way CCM left, and the DT fiasco, we weren't going to immediately have the success of the Pearl Era regardless of who was hired. Barnes was hired to stabilize the program after all that happened. Not saying I wouldn't of rather had Will Wade for example.

I will admit his recruiting has left me a bit disappointed, but that may be slightly from the perception of the program. He has thru at least next season IMO.

Recruiting is also my concern. I'm okay with the foundation class, but if he misses on Stokes and Kent his rebuilding scheme will be set back another season.

Reactions: 3 people
after this year we should be able to see if he is just mailing it in or if he has a plan that involves picking up and developing players with less stars but potential. +

The thread title is misleading BTW. The poll questions don't define anybody as a "sheep". It does pretty much nail it for the "hater" faction though. I'll be surprised if there are overwhelming votes to fahr him now. Nothing wrong with taking that stance though.

I love having Barnes as the coach. Finally a big name. Recruiting has been lack luster I admit. But the recruits we have I feel are quality 4 year players. Next year is when I will start really judging his recruiting. Seems he has been targeting the 2018 and 19 recruits the hardest. I can't wait for the season to start. Games against some nice big name schools for a change. I never thought we would ever get a home and home with Carolina.

Reactions: 4 people
I love having Barnes as the coach. Finally a big name. Recruiting has been lack luster I admit. But the recruits we have I feel are quality 4 year players. Next year is when I will start really judging his recruiting. Seems he has been targeting the 2018 and 19 recruits the hardest. I can't wait for the season to start. Games against some nice big name schools for a change. I never thought we would ever get a home and home with Carolina.

Right now he only has 1 scholarship available in 2018. That would change if one or both of the 2017s are given to grad transfers. IMO 2019 is by far the year to judge whether the program is on track or chronically off the rails.

After the Pearl situation, the way CCM left, and the DT fiasco, we weren't going to immediately have the success of the Pearl Era regardless of who was hired. Barnes was hired to stabilize the program after all that happened. Not saying I wouldn't of rather had Will Wade for example.

I will admit his recruiting has left me a bit disappointed, but that may be slightly from the perception of the program. He has thru at least next season IMO.

That's fair. And I agree on Wade. Big failure on the AD for not getting him.

Reactions: 1 person
Right now he only has 1 scholarship available in 2018. That would change if one or both of the 2017s are given to grad transfers. IMO 2019 is by far the year to judge whether the program is on track or chronically off the rails.

If we miss on Stokes I'd rather keep the Scholarships and offer 2 Grad transfers to spread out the classes. They should be able to propel us to the tourney year 3.

If we miss on Stokes I'd rather keep the Scholarships and offer 2 Grad transfers to spread out the classes. They should be able to propel us to the tourney year 3.

That's not a bad strategy. Kent doesn't sound like a bum though, I wouldn't mind signing him with or without Stokes. I don't think we need another average rated perimeter player unless they're a grad transfer and even that might do more harm to team chemistry than be beneficial by adding more experience and depth. I'm in the camp of only using those two for recruits with height and/or bulk or grab a perimeter player only if a very highly rated one magically appears.

Last edited:
Literally none of you have any idea of how to build a D-1 basketball team or what it takes to maintain it. Rick Barnes doesn't need your advice.

Reactions: 3 people
Really to soon to oust Barnes. Need to give him at least two more recruiting classes. My biggest concerns is the lack of quality Bigs. Maybe that will change if Stokes comes on board.

As they say, "time heals all wounds." For better or worse Barnes is the coach. Short of some titanic meltdown or NCAA trouble I would give him this year and next as a minimum just to promote stability.

Financially it's the right thing to do as well.

And he may surprise us.

Neither; I'm a Vol fan.

If Barnes is our head coach and we win, great. If he's not getting the job done, move on.

I wasn’t in favor of hiring Barnes to replace Tyndall, mostly because his glory days were behind him and he seemed to just be idling his way into eventual retirement from coaching as his tenure at TX was coming to an end. I was hoping for a coach who would hit the ground running at UT, ala Bruce Pearl, and impress the fan base with his coaching acumen and recruitment abilities from the get go. In many ways, Barnes is the antithesis of Pearl, most notably when it comes to charisma and recruiting ability. I’m willing to give him a fair chance, but if he can’t lock onto anything more than a succession of 3-star recruits for the foreseeable future, then his ouster from UT will surely come sooner than later. So far, I'm underwhelmed, but hoping for a reversal of misfortune in Vol basketball.

Literally none of you have any idea of how to build a D-1 basketball team or what it takes to maintain it. Rick Barnes doesn't need your advice.
Might have needed some advice his first season. Recruited one guy he couldn't coach, another that couldn't play and one with 2 years of organized ball that wasn't sure if you kicked it or threw it.

Follows that with a class with no true big men that can dominate imeejetly.

Has struck out on most of his targets for 2017. Still some hope though.

Maybe u should advise him on how to land some bigs..

Let it play out. Give the ole boy more than a season to turn things back around.

VN Store

Back