Robert Hubbs is Ready!!

This article should not have been written now.

If, by the middle of January, Hubbs has demonstrated that his game has improved and he is a "step forward" leader then go ahead and write the article.

I dislike these goofy articles written before games have been played.

Does the writer need to prop up the enthusiasm of the fans before the season begins?

It would seem that Vol fans have fragile psyches. It doesn't take all that much to burst their bubbles and knock them off course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

If, by the middle of January, Hubbs has demonstrated that his game has improved and he is a "step forward" leader then go ahead and write the article.

Does the writer need to prop up the enthusiasm of the fans before the season begins?

It would seem that Vol fans have fragile psyches. It doesn't take all that much to burst their bubbles and knock them off course.
Information about this team is hard to come by to say the least. Readers may be interested in the attitude change that Hubbs has undergone and the extra work he is putting in. How is that propping up enthusiasm or how is that bad?

Reactions: 4 people

Can't make money if you don't release anything.

Information about this team is hard to come by to say the least. Readers may be interested in the attitude change that Hubbs has undergone and the extra work he is putting in. How is that propping up enthusiasm or how is that bad?
Here's a quote from Robert from Media Day:
"“All the pressure is on me,” Hubbs said. “I have to lead these guys. We’re a very young team, so I have to show them the ways to go about approaching games and practices, everyday being on the road because they don’t know. I’ve been here for a couple years, so it’s all on me. I’m willing to take on that challenge.”

Hasn't he said before that he was going to step up his game? I'd like to see a demonstration of it in meaningful games before puff pieces are written about him.

I may be putting Scottie Hopson's words in Hubbs' mouth?

I tend to view and remember them as being more alike than different.

We already know what we are going to get out of Hubbs. He has thoroughly underperformed and 4 years in still hasn't developed a 3 point shot. He could come out guns blazing and make me eat crow but he should be coming off the bench and we should play the young guys because they are the ones who need the playing time.

We already know what we are going to get out of Hubbs. He has thoroughly underperformed and 4 years in still hasn't developed a 3 point shot. He could come out guns blazing and make me eat crow but he should be coming off the bench and we should play the young guys because they are the ones who need the playing time.

Barnes has already told him 'We're not waiting on you'.
If he doesn't come out guns blazin, he'll ride the pine.
Information in the article talks about efforts to develop the 3 pointer.

Hubbs is one of the most inconsistent players in recent memory...I'll believe it when I see it

Vol fans need to get off of Hubbs. His freshman season was cut short due to a shoulder injury that required surgery. He was hurt last year as well and for all we know has been playing hurt his entire career. He was recruited by Cuonzo and RH3 DID NOT QUIT when CCM did. Then his second coach at UT was fired and Hubbs again DID NOT QUIT.

He was probably rated too highly coming out of high school. Wasn't he at a small school and played in the paint? That's not his fault.

He's had a productive career... he just hasn't lived up to the fan's expectations. I won't be at all surprised if he doesn't have a great senior season after being in the same system for back to back years for the first time in his UT career.

Also, has he ever been in any trouble at all while at TN? I don't remember him ever being a knucklehead while representing UT.

TN fans should take their shots at the dozen or so players and commits that have quit in the last 3 or 4 years rather than one that has stuck it out for them through all of his setbacks.

Reactions: 12 people
Vol fans need to get off of Hubbs. His freshman season was cut short due to a shoulder injury that required surgery. He was hurt last year as well and for all we know has been playing hurt his entire career. He was recruited by Cuonzo and RH3 DID NOT QUIT when CCM did. Then his second coach at UT was fired and Hubbs again DID NOT QUIT.

He was probably rated too highly coming out of high school. Wasn't he at a small school and played in the paint? That's not his fault.

He's had a productive career... he just hasn't lived up to the fan's expectations. I won't be at all surprised if he doesn't have a great senior season after being in the same system for back to back years for the first time in his UT career.

Also, has he ever been in any trouble at all while at TN? I don't remember him ever being a knucklehead while representing UT.

TN fans should take their shots at the dozen or so players and commits that have quit in the last 3 or 4 years rather than one that has stuck it out for them through all of his setbacks.
Truth.:lolabove:

Reactions: 2 people

I've never attacked his character because he's a great person to have on the team but as far as his performance on the court, it's much easier to grade a recruit in basketball than in a sport like football. Very rarely do you see a top notch highly rated recruit be such a non factor in basketball like you see in football all the time. Basketball is one sport where it shouldn't really matter what system you are in, the good ones figure out how to score the ball when the opportunity presents itself. He is just so timid and never gets into attack mode. He's got all the talent to be the best player on the floor most nights but never shows up. And there's a difference between being hurt and being injured. If he were truly injured he shouldn't have been playing. If he's been hurt then he's got to suck up it because everyone else gets banged up too unfortunately. He just doesn't seem to have that dog in him. I wish Jauan Jennings from the football team would've decided to play basketball too. I bet he would give Hubbs hell in practice. If he had Jennings attitude along with his talent then we would have an ALL-SEC caliber player on our hands but he's just missing that confidence in himself that you need to be playing with the big boys.

Scout had a good article about him this week as well. He admitted he didn't work hard last year and that was why he played poorly. I was impressed he owned up to that.

I've never attacked his character because he's a great person to have on the team but as far as his performance on the court, it's much easier to grade a recruit in basketball than in a sport like football. Very rarely do you see a top notch highly rated recruit be such a non factor in basketball like you see in football all the time. Basketball is one sport where it shouldn't really matter what system you are in, the good ones figure out how to score the ball when the opportunity presents itself. He is just so timid and never gets into attack mode. He's got all the talent to be the best player on the floor most nights but never shows up. And there's a difference between being hurt and being injured. If he were truly injured he shouldn't have been playing. If he's been hurt then he's got to suck up it because everyone else gets banged up too unfortunately. He just doesn't seem to have that dog in him. I wish Jauan Jennings from the football team would've decided to play basketball too. I bet he would give Hubbs hell in practice. If he had Jennings attitude along with his talent then we would have an ALL-SEC caliber player on our hands but he's just missing that confidence in himself that you need to be playing with the big boys.

Hubbs was definitely injured as a freshman and that's the term that I used in the earlier post. He may or may not have been injured since his shoulder surgery, but he's no doubt been playing hurt (a term that I also used).

Hubbs hasn't been a bust by any means. I remember he had a game winning shot from the corner probably two years ago. He's simply not played up to his rating. Maybe much of that is because of his shoulder injury and playing for 3 different coaches in 3 years. He also played with his back to the basket in high school. I really doubt that his temperament has turned mellow since he's arrived.

I believe that he's not made a bigger splash since he's transitioned from a high school post to a collegiate wing. And again, learning 3 systems in 3 years.

He has a nice pull up 12-15 foot jump shot which is a rate skill these days.

Also, he hasn't exactly been surrounded by fantastic, team oriented offensive players other than the brief time with Richardson. Punter could score, but his game didn't exactly involve a lot of participation from his teammates. Hubbs might excel this year as there won't necessarily be one guy to focus on by opponent's defenses.

lol.

"arrogance

Lol.
Perhaps more gloom and doom was needed. Hell last year I was downing Barnes and this board fought me. Even I now am tired of the negativity and glad to hear Hubbs may have changed his ways

Hubbs is such a laid back guy. If Barnes can keep a fire lit from game to game consistently he will have done a hell of a coaching job. IMO.

late bloomer...or, just one weird career at UT...you be the judge...maybe he'll be more consistent this year...we're definitely gonna need him to step up...believe he will...GO ROBERT, and...

GO VOLS!

late bloomer...or, just one weird career at UT...you be the judge...maybe he'll be more consistent this year...we're definitely gonna need him to step up...believe he will...GO ROBERT, and...

GO VOLS!

He's probably questioned his decision to stay at UT through two coaching changes many times. I'm really pulling for the guy because he hasn't quit on the Vols when most of those around him have.

For various reasons Hubbs just hasn't met expectations. Whether he will in his final year remains to be seen.

VN Store

Back