It will be interesting to see how these guys do with their post TN careers:

Quinton Chievous - Hampton
Darius Thompson - Virginia
A.J. Davis - Florida Directional
Tariq Owens - St. John's
Ray Kasongo -Iowa State
Jabari McGhee - WKU
Willie Carmichael - WKU

Is Chievous still playing in college? I thought he was a senior last season. Who do think will end up being the best player of the two at WKU in Carmichael & McGhee? I think it will be McGhee.

Still researching.

Rawane Ndiaye isn't listed on the University of Regina's roster.

Chievous was a GR at Hampton last year.

Am I missing any that are still playing somewhere?

Last edited:
Is Chievous still playing in college? I thought he was a senior last season. Who do think will end up being the best player of the two at WKU in Carmichael & McGhee? I think it will be McGhee.

Carmichael gained a lot of experience starting for Donnie Tyndall in several games. He'll be playing in November and McGhee has to sit out until around Christmas, so Willie might have a better 2016-17. I liked McGhee's motor, he just needs to not foul which is possible to achieve versus the slower, smaller opposition.

Davis and Thompson are solid, I doubt others do much of anything. I hope they are successful, but McGhee, Carmichael, Kasongo, and Owens showed very little while here. I cannot see CBP or CCM even offering them scholarships. They were all reaches for coaches trying to put together last minute classes.
They will have to be greatly improved to be solid contributors anywhere in D1. I hope I am wrong and maybe a couple of them will develop. They are still young so there is hope.

I'm still researching all of them. I'm pretty sure Chievous has used up his eligibility and is a free agent. One search brought him up with his class being graduate student.

Edit: I'm deleting Chievous. Hampton's official website does not have their 2016-17 roster posted, but his class is listed as GR on the 2015-16 roster.

Does anybody have a comprehensive list of commitments that opted out after Martin and Tyndall left?

Larry Austin and Jordan Cornish transferred/given releases after CDT took over.

Carmichael gained a lot of experience starting for Donnie Tyndall in several games. He'll be playing in November and McGhee has to sit out until around Christmas, so Willie might have a better 2016-17. I liked McGhee's motor, he just needs to not foul which is possible to achieve versus the slower, smaller opposition.

McGhee's motor is what makes me think he will end up being better than Carmichael. I forgot about him having to set out though. Carmichael never showed much of anything while at UT except for flashes of rebounding.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Chievous graduated last season. He was a 5th year senior. I remember the announcers talking about him during the NCAA tourney. Thanks!

I loved Darius as a point guard (great passer, but too many turnovers and he couldn't find his 3 point shot) but when I saw him last year he looked bulked up and seemed to be more of a post player.

Davis and Thompson are solid, I doubt others do much of anything. I hope they are successful, but McGhee, Carmichael, Kasongo, and Owens showed very little while here. I cannot see CBP or CCM even offering them scholarships. They were all reaches for coaches trying to put together last minute classes.
They will have to be greatly improved to be solid contributors anywhere in D1. I hope I am wrong and maybe a couple of them will develop. They are still young so there is hope.

Of the above mentioned players, the ones I think that has the best chance to contribute to their teams are McGhee, Carmichael, & Owens. Kasongo I'm sorry but he couldn't play for the league of the blind.

That doesn't sound nice & God may get me for saying that as a man of faith but he wasn't good enough to play at UT. I can't believe he's playing even at Iowa State myself.

He wasn't very good at all. He's good enough to play for a school like Tenn Tech or UT-Martin but not a major D1 school. He only has one skill & that's blocking shots. Thanks!

Of the above mentioned players, the ones I think that has the best chance to contribute to their teams are McGhee, Carmichael, & Owens. Kasongo I'm sorry but he couldn't play for the league of the blind.

That doesn't sound nice & God may get me for saying that as a man of faith but he wasn't good enough to play at UT. I can't believe he's playing even at Iowa State myself.

He wasn't very good at all. He's good enough to play for a school like Tenn Tech or UT-Martin but not a major D1 school. He only has one skill & that's blocking shots. Thanks!

Kasongo surprised me with some offensive moves around the basket in a game or two, but I think he's 2 or 3 inches too short to be effective (Twss). I find Iowa State an odd choice since Kasongor claimed he was upset with the amount of playing time that he was getting at UT. However I would think that the guys he practices against at ISU should help him improve more so than versus the TN post players.

Was you thinking of Dominic Woodson that left after Tyndall was fired? He was a transfer in from Memphis. He didn't even last to December I believe. He left after the first semester.

Was you thinking of Dominic Woodson that left after Tyndall was fired? He was a transfer in from Memphis. He didn't even last to December I believe. He left after the first semester.

No, I think he was a senior during Donnie's year.

Chris Clarke had committed along with Schofield and Phillips. Trying to find the guy visiting the day Donnie was fired.

I wished Owen's would have stuck around and gained some weight. He may have been a contributer this season.

No, I think he was a senior during Donnie's year.

Chris Clarke had committed along with Schofield and Phillips. Trying to find the guy visiting the day Donnie was fired.

So, are you saying he didn't actually make the team as a player & just came to Knoxville for a visit? He never committed to UT is what you're saying or he did & just didn't play much?

Last edited:
So, are you saying he didn't actually make the team as a player & just came to Knoxville for a visit? He never committed to UT is what you're saying or he did & just didn't play much?

Donnie kicked Woodson off of the team. I think he played a couple of games... but he was a senior so he's not playing anywhere now.

That's him. May not technically be a commitment but I think he was close.

I don't even remember him so he must not have committed. :p I remember the other Gray player that we had that was a star player but never panned out in the NBA.

Can't think of his 1st name though. He was a SG/SF combo. I want to say his first name was Eddie but that doesn't sound right & too long for his 1st name. Dang it!

I don't even remember him so he must not have committed. :p I remember the other Gray player that we had that was a star player but never panned out in the NBA.

Can't think of his 1st name though. He was a SG/SF combo. I want to say his first name was Eddie but that doesn't sound right & too long for his 1st name. Dang it!

Ed Gray (I can't believe that it was 20 years ago).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gray

Reactions: 1 person
Rob Gray wasn't a commit, but Donnie was pretty close getting the commitment when he was blown out for cheating.

Donnie wasn't necessarily going to get Iverson but he made a push. Khalil signed with Wisconsin a month after Tyndall was fired.

Still researching.

Chievous was a GR at Hampton last year.

Am I missing any that are still playing somewhere?
You are missing Braxton Key at Alabama and Mario Keglar at Mississippi State, two 4* who were coming to Tennessee. Braxton Bonds was Key's best friend back in Nashville. There was a reason he was walk on at Tennessee.

VN Store

Back