Robert Hubbs off-season shooting

Stoked

I believe that Hubbs' shooting ability will take the next step this year. CRB gets a bad rap around here about recruiting and in game coaching ability, which is understandable...but we know for sure that he has the ability to develop a players shot. Kevin Punter is proof of that. In the presser yesterday CRB mentioned that he wanted Hubbs to make 350 NBA threes a day. He said at first it was taking him 600 or more shots to accomplish that, but here recently he was getting it done in less than 500 shots. Can Hubbs' shot improve like KP's did last year?

Has to improve. Less than 24% last season. Barnes best teams thrive on high percentage 3pt shooting.

Hubbs needs to improve not only his shot but his consistency as well.
If he can do both, he might finally live up to the potential he seemed to have coming in as a 5-star recruit.

Has to improve. Less than 24% last season. Barnes best teams thrive on high percentage 3pt shooting.

I agree. I think we have some capable of shooting 30%+ which is where we really need Hubbs to be. Phillips, Mostella, and Schofield all shot above that. I think Turner and Bowden are capable as well. KP was around 36%, which is where Phillips was as well. We need a couple others to shoot close to that.

Villanova seems to always be guard heavy and successful. Maybe Tennessee can be to. I know they also have 1 or 2 quality bigs. But hey. We got magic on our side. Oh wait. That's football. Well maybe it rubs off on hoops.

I agree. I think we have some capable of shooting 30%+ which is where we really need Hubbs to be. Phillips, Mostella, and Schofield all shot above that. I think Turner and Bowden are capable as well. KP was around 36%, which is where Phillips was as well. We need a couple others to shoot close to that.

Barnes best teams had about 4 guys that shot 35+. We need it to keep defenses from being able to sag on our front court guys.
One on one I think we have some big guys that could do well around the rim.

I'm pumped for Hubbs. He's been one of my favorite players year in and year out. Hope he goes off this year and gets drafted.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm pumped for Hubbs. He's been one of my favorite players year in and year out. Hope he goes off this year and gets drafted.

You're in the minority there. I like Hubbs I just wish he had a little more passion because he is really talented. He has the Scotty Hopson-syndrome.

You're in the minority there. I like Hubbs I just wish he had a little more passion because he is really talented. He has the Scotty Hopson-syndrome.

Yes, Scotty was probably twice as talented and a better perimeter shooter. Hubbs is bigger and thus a better player around the basket. Very similar players though in style and especially their laissez-faire attitude.

Yes, Scotty was probably twice as talented and a better perimeter shooter. Hubbs is bigger and thus a better player around the basket. Very similar players though in style and especially their laissez-faire attitude.

Barnes says he's working harder than he ever has in his life. cross your fingers.

He should be a guy that scores like Punter did for us last season. He should give us 18-20+ points/game. Also 3-5 rbs./game, & 2-3 assists/game as well.

He has a decent chance at being drafted if he's committed now like CRB says he has done this off-season. This senior season is his last chance to prove the NBA scouts his game is good enough. We need him even more though than just an NBA thing.

It didn't help Barnes didn't use him correctly either.

Also funny is that Robert was putting up 16/game before he hurt his knee. Then Barnes is out here questioning his love of the game when he was playing on a bum knee when we needed him.

It didn't help Barnes didn't use him correctly either.

Also funny is that Robert was putting up 18/game before he hurt his knee. Then Barnes is out here questioning his love of the game when he was playing on a bum knee when we needed him.

Barnes, just about every VN BB forum poster, and most everybody else has been questioning his love of the game.

Barnes, just about every VN BB forum poster, and most everybody else has been questioning his love of the game.

And that's stupid. It's dumb coachspeak. I think you can question his mindset and his confidence but it's dumb to be like "oh he doesn't love the game." If he didn't love the game he wouldn't have put in the work this summer.

And that's stupid. It's dumb coachspeak. I think you can question his mindset and his confidence but it's dumb to be like "oh he doesn't love the game." If he didn't love the game he wouldn't have put in the work this summer.

Here's what Barnes said about Hubbs if he's going to make it at the next level. I'm not sure what you expect a coach to say... but no matter what Barnes says some on here will criticize him like they know better how to motivate a player than a guy that's been coaching for decades in the NCAA.

Hubbs asked Barnes 350 NBA 3's?
Barnes: "Well, if you're as good as you think you are it won't take very long."

Barnes told Hubbs he needed to get in the gym everyday and make 350 NBA 3's. Said he didn't care how he did it.

Barnes told Hubbs he would have to increase his love, passion for the game. Can't just come in and go through motions. Needs pro mindset.

Barnes on Hubbs again, his progress: "It started at the end of last season, when I sat down with him." Told him they're not waiting on him.

I just find it funny Barnes is questioning his love of the game when he ran hubbs out there when he wasn't 100% BC he needed him

I just find it funny Barnes is questioning his love of the game when he ran hubbs out there when he wasn't 100% BC he needed him

To be fair, it seems like Hubbs is only 100% the first 2 or 3 games of the season. Not his fault, but whether the injury is severe or not, he is prone to it.

He did exactly the same thing with Kevin Punter. Punter should never have had to have the surgery. He should never have been allowed to be in the gym working out with that stress fracture which both he and Barnes knew about.

Last edited:

I think it's a fair question. Do you get the impression that Robert Hubbs plays each game like it's his last? I think we have seen enough of him at this point, both playing healthy and playing hurt, that it's clear his passion and desire are lacking on any given night. Passion/desire/burn/competitive fire/love of the game; trying to disect those words or phrases to create a difference is really splitting hairs.

True, Barnes ran him out there when he needed him, but he also benched him when he could have used him too IIRC.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it's a fair question. Do you get the impression that Robert Hubbs plays each game like it's his last? I think we have seen enough of him at this point, both playing healthy and playing hurt, that it's clear his passion and desire are lacking on any given night. Passion/desire/burn/competitive fire/love of the game; trying to disect those words or phrases to create a difference is really splitting hairs.

True, Barnes ran him out there when he needed him, but he also benched him when he could have used him too IIRC.

Totally agree chris. :good!:

He did exactly the same thing with Kevin Punter. Punter should never have had to have the surgery. He should never have been allowed to be in the gym working out with that stress fracture which both he and Barnes knew about.

Lol, so you think Kevin Punter had no say in the matter? You're a trip. Punter, a SR playing in his last season, wanted to be out there badly and was willing to risk further injury to help his team. It's unfortunate that his injury required surgery, but he didn't have to be out there playing. That was a choice HE made, and Barnes supported.

Reactions: 2 people

I'm calling bull**** on this. No coach is going to put any of his players health at risk. Where is your proof to support this accusation?

Punter did not play another minute after it was determined that he had a stress fracture. Barnes said that he was day-to-day which is coach speak for he might play so y'all opponents need to prepare for him being in the lineup.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back