Barnes Presser (Monday)

Blah Blah Blah - Barnes should take Debord's old job considering he is in semi-retirement now.

Reactions: 2 people
Thought for sure Turner would be starting pg...

I think he will be. Now you may see Turner actually play more minutes at the 2 than 1, but I think he'll be your starting PG.

The only way I see him not is if they go ultra small and start: Bone/Turner/Mostella/Hubbs/and then whoever at the 5.

I think he will be. Now you may see Turner actually play more minutes at the 2 than 1, but I think he'll be your starting PG.

The only way I see him not is if they go ultra small and start: Bone/Turner/Mostella/Hubbs/and then whoever at the 5.
Barnes quote:
"Bone will pretty much play the point. That would be the one guy where that will be the (lone) position he’ll play. And those other three guys are more combo-type guards."

other 3: Turner ,Qwe and Phillips

I guess you could take that as bone is the only one position guy of the 4.

From what he said, I'd also expect to see Fulk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Need both those dudes to be better than we thought they would be, this year. Without listening(not ready to get sleepy yet), I'm guess Turner still starts, but his and Bones minutes there are pretty equal. Seems like Bone has had quite a bit of media love recently, so maybe theres something to him being ready early. And also several other combinations would allow Turner to slide to the 2 and stay on the floor.

Just looking forward to not seeing a forward at the pg spot.

Ready for the first game. Glad to see Parker has stepped, and will get some minutes. #parker4heisman... Oh, wait. My bad :)

Really want to see Bone and Turner in together when teams are pressing.

Bring. It. On.

Question is, when Fulk posterizes a few guys and those posters start being made. How long you gonna hold out?

I really do hope I'm wrong on fulk. Just don't see it. Would never be so happy to be wrong.

I really do hope I'm wrong on fulk. Just don't see it. Would never be so happy to be wrong.

I believe that buddy, just giving you heck for earlier posts. Physicality will be what determines if he sees the minutes or not to show those leapers. Hopefully he don't want to settle for red shirting.

Remember how I said no way he would see many minutes playing for UT? I've changed my tune a bit since watching film of him from Prep School. He's gotten quite a bit better now. I think he makes the rotation now & gets 10-15 minutes a game.

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey

Barnes: "If we get the right guys, we won't have (open) scholarships."

Barnes on grad transfer: "This is the first one I can remember ever having. I don't think it's something we'll count on every year."

Barnes: "The fact is, we weren't a very good team last year. I don't think we would've lost 19 games if KP stayed healthy."

Barnes on Lew Evans, continued: "We do think his experience will help us early ... games here and then in Maui."

Barnes on Lew Evans: "He understands how to play. The big thing right now is getting himself in the shape he needs to be in to play."

Hubbs asked Barnes 350 NBA 3's?
Barnes: "Well, if you're as good as you think you are it won't take very long."

Barnes told Hubbs he needed to get in the gym everyday and make 350 NBA 3's. Said he didn't care how he did it.

Barnes told Hubbs he would have to increase his love, passion for the game. Can't just come in and go through motions. Needs pro mindset.

Barnes on Hubbs again, his progress: "It started at the end of last season, when I sat down with him." Told him they're not waiting on him.

Barnes said Lew Evans "has to guard better" and has to "defend better, in terms of what we want." Said he's been good setting ball-screens.

Lew Evans told Barnes this is "most definitely" the hardest he's ever had to work in his college basketball career.

Barnes: "The way we can open up the court, we're expecting our guards to do a lot as well."

Barnes: "John Fulkerson has impressed us because he does the dirty work. Terrific rebounder, can block shots, he can run."

Barnes on the 5 spot: "I look at all (the forwards). Admiral has had some good days. He can score around the basketball."

Barnes: "Between Jordan and Lamonte, I think (point guard) is what everyone thought it would be." Lamonte also playing off ball at times

Barnes on Kwe Parker: "He's probably surprised us as much as anyone, with his ability to play (point guard)."

Barnes on his point guard play: "We're more settled there because we have more players that can play it." (Lamonte, Jordan Bone, Kwe Parker)

Barnes: "This year we think we have a chance to be a much, much better team defensively."

Barnes: We think we can be a good defensive team this year. Last year we told KP and Armani to be good defensively, but you can't foul.

Barnes: "I think we're a better defensive team right now. But that's not saying a lot. I didn't think we were very good last year."

Barnes talking football: "The SEC is getting kind of like the NFL. Whoever has the ball last wins."

Barnes kind of throwing shade at Georgia: "Without that extra 15 yards, I'm not sure (Tennessee) can get it to the end zone"

Barnes on Tennessee's Hail Mary: "That's the way they draw it up. I don't think I've ever seen two teams score like that, in 10 seconds."

Barnes joked that he's in a sling because of his Hail Mary situation.

Barnes said outside of Robert Hubbs, every player on roster is looking for day in and day out consistency in practice.

Barnes: "I think we have a good group of players, but we need some guys that really separate themselves."

Barnes said Grant Williams has learned how to channel his energy in the correct way, in terms of on and off the floor.

Barnes on his six freshmen: "I do think some are ahead of others. Grant Williams has lost 25 pounds since he got here."

Barnes: "That's the biggest thing when you have a young group, teaching them how to work and work efficiently."

Barnes: "We've got some guys in the program that can lead." Names Admial, Kyle Alexander, Detrick Mostella as gym rats.

Barnes: "We have a terrific environment here because guys want to work, they've bought in."

Barnes on Robert Hubbs: "We believe if he can truly stay healthy, he'll have a great year for us."

Barnes: "It won't be as big of a drop off when we go to the bench as a year ago."

Barnes: "We're going to be a different team, just simply because I think we're more talented. But we're young."

Barnes on this preseason: More numbers, more depth, move quicker, more understanding from the get go.

Barnes on Admiral: "We're trying to make him understand he doesn't have to hit 3-point shots."

Barnes: "We need five, six guys to separate themselves and be consistent. One of those guys has been Robert Hubbs"

Reactions: 3 people

Seems to me like Bone may be the guy after what Lanier said is confirmed by Barnes. He is the natural point guard just like the other disagreement we had, Brandon Lopez. Usually those naturals play the position. The last two years we've had to convert a shooting guard to play the point. Maybe we don't have to do that this year and that's definitely a good thing.

Seems to me like Bone may be the guy after what Lanier said is confirmed by Barnes. He is the natural point guard just like the other disagreement we had, Brandon Lopez. Usually those naturals play the position. The last two years we've had to convert a shooting guard to play the point. Maybe we don't have to do that this year and that's definitely a good thing.

He's already said we won't have to do that. Bone and Turner are more natural PGs than anything we've had since Bobby Maze and Melvin Goins.

Bone may be the most natural PG, but it doesn't necessarily mean he'll start there from the get-go.

He's already said we won't have to do that. Bone and Turner are more natural PGs than anything we've had since Bobby Maze and Melvin Goins.

Bone may be the most natural PG, but it doesn't necessarily mean he'll start there from the get-go.

It feels good for once that we actually have options this year at the point guard position.

“I don’t like to say ‘center,’ because I think in our system our post guys are interchangeable. Admiral has had some good days. If you’re talking about guys around the basket, we think he can score there. Hubbs certainly can do it. John Fulkerson has impressed us because he does a lot of the dirty work. He’s a terrific rebounder and really has shown that he can block shots. And he can run. No doubt, he can score down there. Kyle has gotten better, as you would certainly hope and expect. Lew Evans is a guy… even he surprised us. The other day he went down there and scored a little bit. (The four and five) positions are really interchangeable. And the way we open up the court, we’re expecting our guards to do a lot for us around the rim as well.”

I think this is the key to our season.
If our big guys can hold their own in the paint, we'll do better than expected. We had pretty much nothing there last season except for Armani.

he didn't mention Williams. At 225 he could be a much more aggressive/effective player. Seemed to fade at 240 in games last season.

Going by what Barnes said, Hubbs should really have a very improved game. That's what we need as our leader as a senior on this team full of a bunch of young guns. Let's hope so.

Hubbs has the talent & Barnes told him that he needed to work harder to become the type of player he wants to be & needs to be for this team. He needs to be the Kevin Punter from last season.

I mean putting up that type of numbers as Punter as well. He's more than capable of doing it with his athleticism. He's arguably more athletic than Punter around the the same height but with quite a bit more weight. Thanks guys!

Going by what Barnes said, Hubbs should really have a very improved game. That's what we need as our leader as a senior on this team full of a bunch of young guns. Let's hope so.

Hubbs has the talent & Barnes told him that he needed to work harder to become the type of player he wants to be & needs to be for this team. He needs to be the Kevin Punter from last season.

I mean putting up that type of numbers as Punter as well. He's more than capable of doing it with his athleticism. He's arguably more athletic than Punter around the the same height but with quite a bit more weight. Thanks guys!

I would love to see him step up to be the senior leader but from what we have saw from him in the past 3 years he's not very vocal. I hope that changes because we need someone to step up like JMac did, Richardson the year after that, and KP did last year. We need you Hubbs this can be your team this year!

I would love to see him step up to be the senior leader but from what we have saw from him in the past 3 years he's not very vocal. I hope that changes because we need someone to step up like JMac did, Richardson the year after that, and KP did last year. We need you Hubbs this can be your team this year!

He doesn't have to be vocal. Lead by example & allow somebody else to be the vocal leader if that doesn't fit his personality. I think Schofield should be the vocal leader on this team myself.

As the vocal leader? Nah! He's only a freshman(RS) so they normally don't take that kind of leadership role. Schofield is a big dude & he's now experienced. I'd go with him for that role.

And who would talk back or question him if they were called out or motivated by Admiral.? Dude looks like hes wearing shoulder pads out there. :)

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back