Coach Lanier: Bone 'the most natural point guard we have'

kamoshika

"There's definitely a difference from last year. We went from a situation where we asked (departed senior) Kevin Punter basically to play a position that was foreign to him--and he did it admirably--to a situation this year where we've got two guys who play the position by trade and another who is a good combo-guard type who has some point guard skills. So we basically have three people who play the position, where last year we were asking one person to do it almost out-of-character.

"When you have (more natural options) at the point-guard position, other guys can play to their natural strengths. It kind of trickles down to the rest of the team when you have someone who is natural at the position. I would say the most natural point guard we have is Jordan Bone. Jordan does play the game with a pass-first mentality. He's the kind of player who, as he grows and develops, he'll be that guy that other guys really enjoy playing with because they know he's going to get them the ball. He's got the speed, athleticism and instincts that translate to the SEC level. So it's just a matter of experience for him, and just adapting to the competitive level that he's going to face. But we're excited about what we've seen from him."

Vol Hoops Report: Sept 30 - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Reactions: 3 people
So he didn't say explicitly which is the combo guard. Is he suggesting that Kwe is the combo and Lamonte (and Bone) are the two point guards "by trade" ?

That article was poorly written and the format was weird. There was a second column to the right. (Not scolding down) When you get to what looks like a new subject look to the right column.
It went on to talk about Lamont Turner being a scoring point guard and them teaching him how to score. The combo guard was Kwe Parker and it talked about him being the most passionate about defense etc and being known for his highlight reel and dunk contests. Said he had a good basketball iq and was learning to be a good basketball player.

Last edited:
The question was asked elsewhere if Bone might be pushing Turner for the start at PG. Definitely a possibility.

So he didn't say explicitly which is the combo guard. Is he suggesting that Kwe is the combo and Lamonte (and Bone) are the two point guards "by trade" ?

My guess is that Turner and Bone are the PGs and that the 3rd he is referencing is Shembari Phillips. Kwe has always seemed more like a natural off-guard to me.

Edit: Looks like both Kwe and Shembari were referenced.

Last edited:
Bone and Williams have both consistently impressed since stepping on campus, I would say both guys are gonna see good minutes this year.

I think your 10 man rotation will be:

Hubbs
Mostella
Turner
Phillips
Schofield
Evans
Bone
Williams
Alexander
Bowden

That also being my guess for most minutes to least

My guess is that Turner and Bone are the PGs and that the 3rd he is referencing is Shembari Phillips. Kwe has always seemed more like a natural off-guard to me.

The 3rd is Kwe Parker and the 4th/emergency is Shembari. It was later in the article on the side.

I think Phillips is better off ball anyways. I like him spotting up than being the main ball handler.

Bone and Williams have both consistently impressed since stepping on campus, I would say both guys are gonna see good minutes this year.

Hubbs
Mostella
Turner
Phillips
Schofield
Evans
Bone
Williams
Alexander
Bowden

My guess:

Turner 25/Bone 15
Mostella 20/Phillips 20
Hubbs 30/Bowden 10
Schofield 30/Williams 10
Evans 25/Williams 10/Alexander 5

I also think Fulkerson redshirts and maybe Jalen Johnson if everyone stays healthy

I think Phillips is better off ball anyways. I like him spotting up than being the main ball handler.

I agree. Kwe seems like a better penetrator and can do that from either position. Shembari is the better shooter of the two.

My guess:

Turner 25/Bone 15
Mostella 20/Phillips 20
Hubbs 30/Bowden 10
Schofield 30/Williams 10

Mostella should lead in minutes and points this year. He's our best scorer imo.

Reactions: 1 person
My guess:

Turner 25/Bone 15
Mostella 20/Phillips 20
Hubbs 30/Bowden 10
Schofield 30/Williams 10

Unless Alexander made zero progress in the off season, I would think he's going to play a lot of minutes. I think that Turner has a few more at PG. Unless Mostella and Hobbs are really consistent Parker might be too good to not play.

Hubbs
Mostella
Turner
Phillips
Schofield
Evans
Bone
Williams
Alexander
Bowden

So, you don't think Fulkerson makes the rotation at all? I think he does & Bowden either redshirts or doesn't play much at all. Johnson is another possibility at a redshirt too. Thanks!

So, you don't think Fulkerson makes the rotation at all? I think he does & Bowden either redshirts or doesn't play much at all. Johnson is another possibility at a redshirt too. Thanks!

Sorry I know u didn't ask me, but I think Fulk will demand minutes. Guessing bto just forgot him in that rotation. He may not be seeing it tho.

Reactions: 3 people
I wouldn't be shocked if we have a wing rotation of Hubbs/Phillips/Bowden/Mostella with two wings being out at all times.

Sorry I know u didn't ask me, but I think Fulk will demand minutes. Guessing bto just forgot him in that rotation. He may not be seeing it tho.

I doubt BTO forgot him because Barnes' wants 8-10 man max rotations. That's why there could be guys like Fulkerson, Parker, Bowden and Johnson out of the regular rotation.

I doubt BTO forgot him because Barnes' wants 8-10 man max rotations. That's why there could be guys like Fulkerson, Parker, Bowden and Johnson out of the regular rotation.

I hear that 8 man rotation thing every year, but it seems like we're always going 11 deep. Typically 1 or 2 of those 11 may not see the court a lot in specific games, but then they play 10-15 minutes in another. Maybe it's because several of the preferred 8 have regularly ended up in foul trouble.

If I was coaching, with wha little we know, my lineup would be

Turner
Stella
Hubbs
Schofield
Williams

Lew Evans
Bone
Parker
Bowden
Alexander

I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody.

No one taller than 6-5 will red shirt.
And with the youth of this roster you could see everybody getting time on the floor.

Reactions: 1 person
Congrats on your first rational and sane thought of the year.
Glad you liked the comment. Here's a little challenge that should provide some interesting commentary. Hope some of you are brave enough to answer. We'll see who wins in the first game of the season.
Who will be the starting 5 when Tennessee takes the floor against Chattanooga?

Glad you liked the comment. Here's a little challenge that should provide some interesting commentary. Hope some of you are brave enough to answer. We'll see who wins in the first game of the season.

Yes, we know you want Chattanooga to win, you pathetic fake Vol fan.

Yeah, we all know who you'll be pulling for.

I would think Turner would start at the 1 since he's had the most practice with the team.

VN Store

Back