Rick Barnes history at UT

mackievol

nothing...................... This guy is a fraud. Someone needs to tell him he is the head basketball coach at a school that cares about hoops. :loco:

Reactions: 5 people
nothing...................... This guy is a fraud. Someone needs to tell him he is the head basketball coach at a school that cares about hoops. :loco:

Man he just came here to get a pay check and retires after 2 or 3 years i dont think he will try to recruit a kid from the state of Texas because he doesnt want to hurt the feelings of anyone at Texas, his heart is still with the LONGHORNS.

Yes, this job is is nothing more than a very nice boost to his retirement account. That's all.

It's pretty evident Barnes can't recruit at a level to elevate Tennessee as a top 3 SEC program.

Too bad. Just a couple years ago we had a top 3 SEC coach behind Donovan and Calipari. Hmm.

To be fair, Barnes did do a pretty good job of coaching them up this year. He just isn't doing anything at all to elevate our program other than being a decent coach.

Reactions: 2 people
Agreed--very disappointed with his performance as a recruiter. I believe we have reached a new low point since Pearl's departure. The excitement behind the basketball program has completely dissipated. I would have rather hired yet another up-and-coming coach who actually can attract talent, rather than a tenured coach on the verge of retirement.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, an up and comer like Buzz Peterson or Cuonzo Martin or Donnie Tyndall would have been home run hires. Why won't TN hire one of those guys?

Reactions: 3 people
Yes, an up and comer like Buzz Peterson or Cuonzo Martin or Donnie Tyndall would have been home run hires. Why won't TN hire one of those guys?
I would have taken two more years of Cuonzo than the dumpster fire we've encountered these past two years. Cuonzo was recruiting better and performing better. 3rd winningest in the SEC behind Donovan and Calipari. Don't care about the bad performances or how "stacked" we were.

Can you name the last kid Tennessee ever pulled from the state of Texas? Also he is selling Tennessee basketball not Texas basketball - Texas is a Mercedes and Tennessee is a Honda - I think holding judgment on recruiting until we see what happens with signing day. We are competing with UNC for Stokes and Sterling Manley and we lost Polley to UCONN so I wouldn't really say the staff is sitting back playing connect 4 in the office...

Man he just came here to get a pay check and retires after 2 or 3 years i dont think he will try to recruit a kid from the state of Texas because he doesnt want to hurt the feelings of anyone at Texas, his heart is still with the LONGHORNS.

Reactions: 3 people
I would have taken two more years of Cuonzo than the dumpster fire we've encountered these past two years. Cuonzo was recruiting better and performing better. 3rd winningest in the SEC behind Donovan and Calipari. Don't care about the bad performances or how "stacked" we were.

I'll be the dick here and say that he was "only" 60%. He was still miles behind Calipari and Donovan in that time frame. And I'm pretty sure Anderson won a higher percentage, it's just that UT played more games.

All that said, Martin was trending up no doubt.

Can you name the last kid Tennessee ever pulled from the state of Texas? Also he is selling Tennessee basketball not Texas basketball - Texas is a Mercedes and Tennessee is a Honda - I think holding judgment on recruiting until we see what happens with signing day. We are competing with UNC for Stokes and Sterling Manley and we lost Polley to UCONN so I wouldn't really say the staff is sitting back playing connect 4 in the office...

We have a Texas walk on that shoots 45% from the perimeter. does that count?

Wow, that was fast!!! He's only in his 2nd year. Let's at least give him a sporting chance to quench this "Dumpster Fire"...Oh, say, maybe 2 to 3 years.

Did something that not many coaches have done here in just one year...built quality pg depth. His recruiting has been questionable but it hasn't been as bad as everyone makes it out to be. He laid a solid foundation with this years class.

Brandon Crump and Stanley Asumnu are the last 2 players from Texas that have played with UT recently.

Way to blame the dumpster fire on someone besides yourself, that is, if you were one of the petitioners!

Donnie was as an effective coach in the OVC as Steve Prohm and Billy Kennedy and as effective in C-USA as Mike White. They are all doing quite well so far in their P5 jobs. Donnie would have done the same here.

Way to blame the dumpster fire on someone besides yourself, that is, if you were one of the petitioners!

Donnie was as an effective coach in the OVC as Steve Prohm and Billy Kennedy and as effective in C-USA as Mike White. They are all doing quite well so far in their P5 jobs. Donnie would have done the same here.

I used to think that you were SeniorDrill...but now I have my suspicions that you are really Tony Basilio. I don't know who has a bigger man crush for a cheating coach than the 3 of you. You 3 have an unhealthy obsession with the dude.

So you have 3 nba players on campus and one with a ring but we didn't have any recruits in town this weekend? Seems like a huge wasted opportunity to me!

I used to think that you were SeniorDrill...but now I have my suspicions that you are really Tony Basilio. I don't know who has a bigger man crush for a cheating coach than the 3 of you. You 3 have an unhealthy obsession with the dude.

I can't speak for Basilio or SD, but I have a crush on winning bb, which is something RB will not have here. If he has a season above .500, then the athletic budget needs to have the money for a CBI run.

Now, for you and all of the others, who don't care about winning in bb, ya'll must prefer mediocrity everywhere except fb!

I can't speak for Basilio or SD, but I have a crush on winning bb, which is something RB will not have here. If he has a season above .500, then the athletic budget needs to have the money for a CBI run.

Now, for you and all of the others, who don't care about winning in bb, ya'll must prefer mediocrity everywhere except fb!

Yet you pitch a tent and proclaim that Tynall would have won an NC based on 1 .500 season.

GTFO.

Geez, I thought Buzz and I were the only ones who saw we gave up the "Butch Jones" of Tennessee bask
etball for a coach whose supporters are praying they can beat 15-19 on the second year. Judging from this he ain't gonna get five years to break five hundred. Maybe Forbes will be here sooner than we think with a new AD and chancellor.

Did something that not many coaches have done here in just one year...built quality pg depth. His recruiting has been questionable but it hasn't been as bad as everyone makes it out to be. He laid a solid foundation with this years class.
Yet (Barnes) reevaluated Rob Gray and passed him up because he didn't think he could compete at this level.. Yet, would have been a huge player last year had we had him.

Yeah, he has a real knact for eyeballing point guards :O.

You would think that compared to Texas, it would be easier to get mid to high level prospects each year when you see the track record that Bruce Pearl had while he was here (and lack of stars in the NBA) and then compare it to the track record of Barnes while he was at Texas (and the plethora of stars that he placed in the NBA).

Is it because he has lost the fire to recruit in his older age, or is it a harder place to recruit to?

I just don't understand the level of recruits that we are going after. Given the resources that Barnes has at his disposal here, and his track record of high level players who made it to the NBA, we should consistently be in the top 10 or 15 each year in recruiting.

VN Store

Back