Indicators for 2016-17

twoffo

Fast-forward to April 2017 - Setting aside the overall record and assuming Barnes remains the coach, what indicators would help you personally believe that things are heading in the right (or at least a positive) direction for UT MBB?

As example here are a couple for me:
UT has 2+ players named to SEC All-freshman team
UT wins 4+ SEC road games

Not hitting them wouldn't necessarily mean 'doom despair and agony' but I'm looking for things to pay attention to outside of the win-loss record that might provide grounds for some optimism.

Hopefully, Rick will have no reason to make this his theme song:

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me."

Reactions: 1 person

Hee Haw not withstanding, that was really bad. :ermm:

Coach Barnes' recruiting style has me mystified. He sure likes to keep his thoughts to himself/staff. I feel like we just don't know yet how he will turn out as a recruiter/coach. No "big name" recruits to be really excited about...well, I guess we'll see...:)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people

Hey I know that song!

Coach Barnes' recruiting style has me mystified. He sure likes to keep his thoughts to himself/staff. I feel like we just don't know yet how he will turn out as a recruiter/coach. No "big name" recruits to be really excited about...well, I guess we'll see...:)

GO VOLS!
I think he is trying to build a foundation of quality role players. Seems like the 2018 and 2019 classes could be where he plans to make a big splash with recruits.

Fast-forward to April 2017 - Setting aside the overall record and assuming Barnes remains the coach, what indicators would help you personally believe that things are heading in the right (or at least a positive) direction for UT MBB?

As example here are a couple for me:
UT has 2+ players named to SEC All-freshman team
UT wins 4+ SEC road games

Not hitting them wouldn't necessarily mean 'doom despair and agony' but I'm looking for things to pay attention to outside of the win-loss record that might provide grounds for some optimism.

I'll go with:

1. Being competitive in most if not all games
2. Finishing with at least a +.500 record
3. Landing 2 of the 3 bigs we are recruiting the hardest right now.

Jmo

Just improvement/steps in the right direction would be a good sign IMO...

1. Increase wins in all 3 areas: OOC 8+ wins, SEC 7+ wins, regular season 14+ wins.

2. Stability...I would like to see at most 1 transfer, I am of the opinion all our signees can be SEC level players if developed, so I would like to see majority of that class stick it out.

3. Land at least 2 top 150 recruits in the '17 class.

If all 3 of those things happen then I think that gives fans reason for some optimism in Year 3, jmo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Turner being as good as we think he will be is also pretty important. He seems to be the biggest piece of our puzzle right now. Knowing he is the real deal instead of us hoping he is would he huge for the teams future.

Reactions: 4 people
If Schofield and Alexander and Hubbs can have solid seasons, this Tennessee team could pull a couple of upsets in OOC play and do well in the SEC.

1. Finish above .500
2. Steady improvement of players - not fading down the stretch
3. Improved PPI for each and every player

Seriously, I think improvement by Mostella will be a key to present and future success. He has potential to be a big time, go to scorer like Punter last year. If Punter does not go down we might have won a couple more games last year or at least been more competitive down the stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Seriously, I think improvement by Mostella will be a key to present and future success. He has potential to be a big time, go to scorer like Punter last year. If Punter does not go down we might have won a couple more games last year or at least been more competitive down the stretch.

I agree. If Mostella has a Richardson/Punter-like coming out this year that would be another indicator for improvement in 2017/18.

I agree. If Mostella has a Richardson/Punter-like coming out this year that would be another indicator for improvement in 2017/18.

if he can get his perimeter game over 35%, he'll never see the bench.

Watching him in the RTL it was obvious he has a ton of raw talent. Heads above many of the others.

Turner being as good as we think he will be is also pretty important. He seems to be the biggest piece of our puzzle right now. Knowing he is the real deal instead of us hoping he is would he huge for the teams future.
Mark Pancratz specifically warned our fans that, yes Turner is good, but he shouldn't be labeled as the savior for this next year. I think it's good we temper our expectations of Turner IMHO. Given, Mark isn't around the program as much anymore, but he got a chance to work with him after last season ended.

Source: Sports Talk, not sure of what day it was. Sometime during the Spring.

Mark Pancratz specifically warned our fans that, yes Turner is good, but he shouldn't be labeled as the savior for this next year. I think it's good we temper our expectations of Turner IMHO. Given, Mark isn't around the program as much anymore, but he got a chance to work with him after last season ended.

Source: Sports Talk, not sure of what day it was. Sometime during the Spring.

He's a freshman. No one knows how long it will take him to adjust to the speed of the college game.
Same with half our roster. That's not a cut, just fact.

Athlon just came out with their basketball magazine and picked us 13th only Missouri was picked below us. Hopefully that want be true I am hoping for the middle of the league.

if he can get his perimeter game over 35%, he'll never see the bench.

This!

He's capable and the Vols could really use a couple of shooters this year especially. I hope a bunch of guys have worked on their 3pt game this offseason.

How's that young stud doing? Does he know how many games he sits out this season?
HE IS DOING GOOD! He will not start until January!!! I will be tuning in on the VOLS during the fball and bball season!

VN Store

Back