Vols make Tyler Polley top 5

bleedingTNorange

@PittGuru: #Pitt basketball prospect Tyler Polley has reported to me that his top 5 schools are #Pitt, UCONN, Tennessee, Dayton & Oklahoma State. #H2P

Reactions: 4 people
Would be great if we weren't already overloaded with wings.

He's not a wing in the sense of a guard as we are overloaded with, how many 6'7"+ wings do we have? IMO he's a 3/4, his length would be a nice addition IMO

He's not a wing in the sense of a guard as we are overloaded with, how many 6'7"+ wings do we have? IMO he's a 3/4, his length would be a nice addition IMO

It's more that he doesn't do anything to cover our glaring weakness in my mind

Put him with the 7ft guy and he look great but without him he isn't a good take IMO

It's more that he doesn't do anything to cover our glaring weakness in my mind

Put him with the 7ft guy and he look great but without him he isn't a good take IMO

I'm interested to see how it plays out, definitely doesn't fill the void at the 5, but Uyaelunmo & Huffman who are both high on the Vols would.

Will be interesting to see if the staff would be willing to take 3, say Polley/Stokes/Uyaelunmo...indications from VQ have been they wouldn't do that, but maybe that changes over the next month.

If Barnes doesn't get back to recruting and landing what brung him, I'm not expecting much more than what we saw last season.

You may be looking forward to his dream of coaching a team of 6-7 players across the board. I'd rather see the teams with the rim protectors and high percentage 3 pt shooters he had in his golden years.

Not a fan of this reinvented guy we're seeing.

Reactions: 2 people
If Barnes doesn't get back to recruting and landing what brung him, I'm not expecting much more than what we saw last season.

You may be looking forward to his dream of coaching a team of 6-7 players across the board. I'd rather see the teams with the rim protectors and high percentage 3 pt shooters he had in his golden years.

Not a fan of this reinvented guy we're seeing.

Huffman and Uyaelunmo are 6'7"? As Bruin said, if Polley is the tallest guy we land it's an issue, but if he joins say Uyaelunmo it looks good imo. Right now he have 6'3"-6'5" playing th 3&4, Polley adds length at that position, no? Also, Armani Moore was 6'5" and one of the best rim protectors Tennessee has had in years, Stokes was 6'9" and was never a shot blocker, height doesn't automatically mean shot blocker.

Last edited:
Seems like I read somewhere that Barnes indicated that he would be content with five 6-7 guys on the floor.

Really like the combo of Huffman polley, or Huffman victor. Huffman reminds me of Montrez Harrell. Big fan of Huffman.

Seems like I read somewhere that Barnes indicated that he would be content with five 6-7 guys on the floor.

“I just wish we were two inches taller per guy,” Barnes said. “I’ve always said I’d love a team that was 6-7 guys across the board that could play every position. Those are fun teams to coach. And this is a fun team to coach, even though we aren’t real big.”

One of his ideas that has raised red flags for me.
Not sure he remembers what was winning for him.

“I just wish we were two inches taller per guy,” Barnes said. “I’ve always said I’d love a team that was 6-7 guys across the board that could play every position. Those are fun teams to coach. And this is a fun team to coach, even though we aren’t real big.”

One of his ideas that has raised red flags for me.
Not sure he remembers what was winning for him.

To me that's one quote in which he's referring to last years squad, his first sentence doesn't even make sense, it's contradictory...if Alexander is 2" bigger he's 7', and if Punter is 2" bigger he's 6'4"; that's not a team full of 6'7" guys...to me that just sounds like him talking and carrying on like he enjoys doing. His recruiting also doesn't back that up, majority of our board is guys taller than 6'7"?

I know for a fact he also mentioned needing to get taller and add length multiple times in the past year, so again, seems a bit contradictory.

Huffman and Uyaelunmo are 6'7"? As Bruin said, if Polley is the tallest guy we land it's an issue, but if he joins say Uyaelunmo it looks good imo. Right now he have 6'3"-6'5" playing th 3&4, Polley adds length at that position, no? Also, Armani Moore was 6'5" and one of the best rim protectors Tennessee has had in years, Stokes was 6'9" and was never a shot blocker, height doesn't automatically mean shot blocker.

Rim protector is more than blocking shots. Barnes best teams were always high in the stats for O and D rebounding.

Armani was great, but we were beaten soundly in the paint more than not.
Much rather see him address the position with a Uylae Stokes combo. Was also high on Gray, but he gone.
Huffman's raw but could develop.

To me that's one quote in which he's referring to last years squad, his first sentence doesn't even make sense, it's contradictory...if Alexander is 2" bigger he's 7', and if Punter is 2" bigger he's 6'4"; that's not a team full of 6'7" guys...to me that just sounds like him talking and carrying on like he enjoys doing. His recruiting also doesn't back that up, majority of our board is guys taller than 6'7"?

I know for a fact he also mentioned needing to get taller and add length multiple times in the past year, so again, seems a bit contradictory.

Agreed

6'7" guys that can play every position well are very rare. So having 5 of them would be fun for a coach to have on the floor.

LeBron James is 6'8" and could play 1-5 on college teams. I can't really think of others that can bang in the paint and also play point.

Magic could play all 5 spots... but he's 6'9".

Dale Ellis was 6'7" but didn't have point guard skills. Devoe had him posting up.

Bernard was 6'7" but didn't have point guard skills.

Where are these 6'7" guys that play every position?

6'7" guys that can play every position well are very rare. So having 5 of them would be fun for a coach to have on the floor.

LeBron James is 6'8" and could play 1-5 on college teams. I can't really think of others that can bang in the paint and also play point.

Magic could play all 5 spots... but he's 6'9".

Dale Ellis was 6'7" but didn't have point guard skills. Devoe had him posting up.

Bernard was 6'7" but didn't have point guard skills.

Where are these 6'7" guys that play every position?

A Barnes delusion?

Rim protector is more than blocking shots. Barnes best teams were always high in the stats for O and D rebounding.

Armani was great, but we were beaten soundly in the paint more than not.
Much rather see him address the position with a Uylae Stokes combo. Was also high on Gray, but he gone.
Huffman's raw but could develop.

Well they finished 2nd in conference in ORB last season with a smaller team than we will probably see under Barnes ever again.

Reactions: 1 person
Well they finished 2nd in conference in ORB last season with a smaller team than we will probably see under Barnes ever again.

Considering their lack of size, yes, their rebounding was respectable. which adds fuel to the argument, get some big guys in here.

Considering their lack of size, yes, their rebounding was respectable. which adds fuel to the argument, get some big guys in here.

Which is what he's doing, no? It may not be as big as you are wanting (INB4TWSS), but they are adding size.

Is that incorrect? You think he literally meant he wants 13 guys all 6'7"? How many guys on the roster are even listed at 6'7"? 1?

it's what he said.
Like Thunder said. who's ever coached a team like that?
Has it ever existed?
So, was he off his meds that day or over medicated?

it's what he said.
Like Thunder said. who's ever coached a team like that?
Has it ever existed?
So, was he off his meds that day or over medicated?

Again, just coach speak...I'm sure there's a laundry list of dumb things coaches have said, I'm sure if asked in further detail about it he would clarify, but I think most around him understood what he meant.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back