Vols to face WI first at Maui Invite

I don't like the matchup all though of the giants. Wisconsin sometimes can keep the underdog in it with their slowed down style.

I don't like the matchup all though of the giants. Wisconsin sometimes can keep the underdog in it with their slowed down style.

This was the big reason why Mears, DeVoe, O'Neill, and Tyndall won many of their games. Pearl would have employed it had he not had the quickness on defense to turnover opponents and create gaps in the scores.

We have to use our speed and athleticism to our advantage. That's the only way we win. Push the pace. Off makes and misses, the ball should be at half court in less than 2-3 seconds.

Reactions: 1 person
We have to use our speed and athleticism to our advantage. That's the only way we win. Push the pace. Off makes and misses, the ball should be at half court in less than 2-3 seconds.

That should be the plan all yr too. Other than K Alexander 1-5 should be able to grab it and go. And hopefully they're all given the green light to do so.

Reactions: 1 person

Will Gard continue with the slow down game?

The following post will affect the "TL;DR" crowd, but figured one big rundown would allow people to reference back...

Wisconsin's identity will remain constant under Greg Gard.

Speaking of Gard, a few notes to consider:

(1) Gard coached alongside Bo Ryan from 1993 until Bo's retirement in 2015. That's approaching 25 years alongside one of the best teachers in CBB.

(2) Even prior to becoming head coach, Gard had ringing endorsements across CBB. He's always been known as one of the best assistants nationally and its been recognized by coaches like Tom Izzo.

(3) Former players have been vocal about their appreciation for all Gard does for the Wisconsin program. Josh Gasser, one of the more decorated players in Wisconsin history has said that "we almost have two head coaches in coach Ryan and Coach Gard ... He's got that head coach mentality, that moxie about him. And that's perfect to have."

(4) Over the last few years, prior to retirement, Bo had been handing Gard more-and-more responsibility. In addition to being Wisconsin's recruiting coordinator, Gard was given on-floor coaching duties and has also been integral in opponent scouting and game preparation.

(5) Recruiting has always been headed by Gard at Wisconsin. The players are as much Gard's as they are/were Bo's. Gard did what he could to salvage the 2016 class with only a half-season as coach, but the 2017 class is very promising as he already has commitments from three four-star prospects, something not seen every day at Wisconsin.

All this being said, I would not expect much to change with the Badgers. They'll play a deliberate-style of basketball -- rarely turning the ball over, not committing fouls, and finding mismatches across the court with the Swing Offense, something Gard reinstalled after becoming coach.

Opposing fans and coaches operate under the assumption that beating Wisconsin is a game of getting out, running, and taking the Badgers out of their comfort zone. While this might be true, very rarely does it happen because Wisconsin does not crash the offensive glass at a high-rate. Beating Wisconsin, in recent years, has truly come from the dribble-drive offense.

Few players to watch on Wisconsin's side:

- Nigel Hayes and Bronson Koenig will be two of the most-experienced players in the country next season. Both have been starters for the better part of three seasons, have been on two Final Four teams, and have won 88 games in the last three seasons.

- Ethan Happ came in as a R-Fr. and had one of the best inaugural seasons in Wisconsin history. He averaged 12.4 points and 8 rebounds per game, winning B1G Freshman of the Year over the likes of Caleb Swanigan, Diamond Stone, and Thomas Bryant. Happ was also named to the All-Defensive Team after leading the B1G in steals and leading the Badgers in blocks.

- Andy Van Vliet is a sophomore from Belgium that will join the mix after being ruled ineligible a year ago by the NCAA. This kid has been receiving rave reviews in practices, some even saying he was the best player on the court at times. Will be a very dangerous addition.

- In all, Wisconsin returns 99.8% of its minutes, 99.7% of its points, and 100% of its assists and steals from a team that reached the Sweet 16 and began finding its way after Gard became coach.

Looking forward to Maui!

Reactions: 2 people
The following post will affect the "TL;DR" crowd, but figured one big rundown would allow people to reference back...

Wisconsin's identity will remain constant under Greg Gard.

Speaking of Gard, a few notes to consider:

(1) Gard coached alongside Bo Ryan from 1993 until Bo's retirement in 2015. That's approaching 25 years alongside one of the best teachers in CBB.

(2) Even prior to becoming head coach, Gard had ringing endorsements across CBB. He's always been known as one of the best assistants nationally and its been recognized by coaches like Tom Izzo.

(3) Former players have been vocal about their appreciation for all Gard does for the Wisconsin program. Josh Gasser, one of the more decorated players in Wisconsin history has said that "we almost have two head coaches in coach Ryan and Coach Gard ... He's got that head coach mentality, that moxie about him. And that's perfect to have."

(4) Over the last few years, prior to retirement, Bo had been handing Gard more-and-more responsibility. In addition to being Wisconsin's recruiting coordinator, Gard was given on-floor coaching duties and has also been integral in opponent scouting and game preparation.

(5) Recruiting has always been headed by Gard at Wisconsin. The players are as much Gard's as they are/were Bo's. Gard did what he could to salvage the 2016 class with only a half-season as coach, but the 2017 class is very promising as he already has commitments from three four-star prospects, something not seen every day at Wisconsin.

All this being said, I would not expect much to change with the Badgers. They'll play a deliberate-style of basketball -- rarely turning the ball over, not committing fouls, and finding mismatches across the court with the Swing Offense, something Gard reinstalled after becoming coach.

Opposing fans and coaches operate under the assumption that beating Wisconsin is a game of getting out, running, and taking the Badgers out of their comfort zone. While this might be true, very rarely does it happen because Wisconsin does not crash the offensive glass at a high-rate. Beating Wisconsin, in recent years, has truly come from the dribble-drive offense.

Few players to watch on Wisconsin's side:

- Nigel Hayes and Bronson Koenig will be two of the most-experienced players in the country next season. Both have been starters for the better part of three seasons, have been on two Final Four teams, and have won 88 games in the last three seasons.

- Ethan Happ came in as a R-Fr. and had one of the best inaugural seasons in Wisconsin history. He averaged 12.4 points and 8 rebounds per game, winning B1G Freshman of the Year over the likes of Caleb Swanigan, Diamond Stone, and Thomas Bryant. Happ was also named to the All-Defensive Team after leading the B1G in steals and leading the Badgers in blocks.

- Andy Van Vliet is a sophomore from Belgium that will join the mix after being ruled ineligible a year ago by the NCAA. This kid has been receiving rave reviews in practices, some even saying he was the best player on the court at times. Will be a very dangerous addition.

- In all, Wisconsin returns 99.8% of its minutes, 99.7% of its points, and 100% of its assists and steals from a team that reached the Sweet 16 and began finding its way after Gard became coach.

Looking forward to Maui!

Preciate the info and welcome to the board. Didn't realize Happ won big10 fresh of the yr. Pretty good list of guys he beat out too. You guys will no doubt be favorites our only shot will be to TRY to make the game chaotic and hope to be en fuego from deep. Still a little ways off, but with football around the corner it'll be here b4 we know it.

Hopefully we can give you guys a game. good luck but go Vols!

May not look like a good match on paper, but I like the grit of this Vol team.
I'd give us the proverbial puncher's chance.

I don't see this team beating WI

I doubt many others disagree. I think the only thing we can really do is hope for the best this season. I don't have high expectations. Wouldn't be surprised if our record ends up being similar to last season's.

had to check the spelling of clairvoyant.....nicely done.....I probably would have struggled with clairvoyant and typed psychic

Grit and haven't seen them play a second. Clairvoyant?

I was alluding to the grit of individual players; Lamonte Turner and Admiral Schofield in particular. I like what I'm reading about the work they've put in to improve their respective games. I also like their drive and determination to make this the best team it can be. Hubbs is pretty damn good when he's on his game and Mostella looks to be a potential scoring machine. Saw all of them play last year, with the exception of Turner, but he would have been our point guard had the ncaa not held up his eligibility. Barring injury, I'm sure he'll be our starting PG this season and for the foreseeable future and I'm pleased about that. Aside from that, I've heard they all eat grits for breakfast.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back