J Rich Has a Huge Opportunity

VolPack22

Jessica Alba wears my Daddy hat
With the news of D Wade leaving South Beach, Josh Richardson has a strong chance at being an everyday starter next year. This is great news for him and UT because that will give us 2 everyday starters in the NBA along with Tobias Harris in Detroit. I'm excited for him because he was such an impact player as a Rookie and if he keeps developing he will have a long and productive 15 year career that should include a couple of All-Star appearances. He is the definition of perseverance and dedication and is a great person to sell to the bball recruits. Barnes should be on the phone with him on a daily basis and inviting him back to speak and interact with the team any chance he gets. It would be great for all involved. Go get em J Rich!

Reactions: 3 people
I agree, this is a great opportunity for him. I know others will cite Tony Allen as a good comparison, but I can't think of another player with his individual skill set, build and size. He's a 6'6" swingman who can play the 1-3, and guard the other team's best player. I think with his mid-range game and his newfound ability to slash into the paint and score around (or above) the rim can allow for him to be a 12-15 ppg guy who can also dish out some dimes.

I think Bruce Bowen and Avery Bradley are good comparisons, but Bruce wasn't a great scorer and Avery is only 6'2" and more of a PG.

15 years in the league and multiple all star appearances is lofty, though. Aside from guys like McGrady, Kobe, Dirk, etc, not many NBA players last 15 years. Especially the ones who get into the league after 4 years of school. 15 years would mean he retires at 38 years old, which would be tough. Also, defensive stoppers, while valuable pieces of championship teams haven't traditionally been all stars. If it were fair, Ron Artest would have been an all star every season for about 8 years when he was the best defender in the game.

Not saying Josh is average by any means, but the average NBA player lasts less than 5 seasons and earns between 500k and 1 million. After taxes and paying for an agent they might... MIGHT... Clear 2 million total. And with the lifestyles a lot of them lead it's easy to see why they go broke so quickly.

I agree, this is a great opportunity for him. I know others will cite Tony Allen as a good comparison, but I can't think of another player with his individual skill set, build and size. He's a 6'6" swingman who can play the 1-3, and guard the other team's best player. I think with his mid-range game and his newfound ability to slash into the paint and score around (or above) the rim can allow for him to be a 12-15 ppg guy who can also dish out some dimes.

I think Bruce Bowen and Avery Bradley are good comparisons, but Bruce wasn't a great scorer and Avery is only 6'2" and more of a PG.

15 years in the league and multiple all star appearances is lofty, though. Aside from guys like McGrady, Kobe, Dirk, etc, not many NBA players last 15 years. Especially the ones who get into the league after 4 years of school. 15 years would mean he retires at 38 years old, which would be tough. Also, defensive stoppers, while valuable pieces of championship teams haven't traditionally been all stars. If it were fair, Ron Artest would have been an all star every season for about 8 years when he was the best defender in the game.

Not saying Josh is average by any means, but the average NBA player lasts less than 5 seasons and earns between 500k and 1 million. After taxes and paying for an agent they might... MIGHT... Clear 2 million total. And with the lifestyles a lot of them lead it's easy to see why they go broke so quickly.

That's changing very quickly. Did you see some of these contracts that these bench players are getting? JRich is getting ready to get paid really well his next contract. Harrison Barnes racked up a 100 million dollar contract lol.

Richardson developing that 3 point shot helped him out tremendously. Now he is a 3 point threat and a defensive stopper.

Reactions: 1 person

Jimmy Butler is a good comparison.

I think he's going to be a lot like Kawhi Leonard. Leonard averaged 7.9 ppg his rookie year and was an ok 3 point shooter but saw a lot of playing time because of his defensive prowess. J Rich averaged 6.6 ppg and has already developed a better shot compared to Leonard's rookie year. He has a ways to go to get to Leonard's defensive level but is a very good defender at this point in his career. Leonard, 5 years later, is considered the best defensive player in the NBA and elevated his offense to over 21 ppg and shot over 40% from 3 and if not for Steph Curry would've won the MVP. I'm not saying J Rich will be an MVP caliber player one day but as far as how they play, they are very similar. Jimmy Butler was a good comparison too but he has a bit of an ego. J Rich and Leonard are 2 of the most humble guys in professional sports that you will find.

JRich has got an excellent skill set--good size, very athletic, very versatile, can score and defend. He has a chance to have a very good NBA career.

Did McCrady really last 15 years? I seem to recall that he developed back problems or somesuch and really fell off after his great early years.

JRich has got an excellent skill set--good size, very athletic, very versatile, can score and defend. He has a chance to have a very good NBA career.

Did McCrady really last 15 years? I seem to recall that he developed back problems or somesuch and really fell off after his great early years.

He got drafted in 97 and retired in 2013 and spent a year or 2 overseas before coming back to the NBA at the end of his career but he was elite level player from about 2000-2008 and then yeah the injuries started to happen. That's how it usually goes for NBA players that can actually stay in the league. They have about 5-8 great years in them and another 3-5 productive years depending on injuries. He ended up playing 15 years but was actually relevant about 10 of those years which is actually pretty impressive for any athlete let alone someone who, if not for Kobe Bryant, would've been considered the best player in the league after MJ left.

That's changing very quickly. Did you see some of these contracts that these bench players are getting? JRich is getting ready to get paid really well his next contract. Harrison Barnes racked up a 100 million dollar contract lol.

Richardson developing that 3 point shot helped him out tremendously. Now he is a 3 point threat and a defensive stopper.

You beat me to it. I was going to say that Josh with his next contract signing he will be a rich man. He's going to have a huge jump in salary. He will have the money to never have to worry about living for him & his family.

I just hope & pray that he stays healthy. I do think he can have a 10-year career with ease. 15 might be stretching it but it's possible. We all know he's a hard worker & takes care of his body. I could see him signing a contract that pays him $10-$15 million per when his current rookie contract runs out. What a jump in mula! :)

I just wonder if he will stay in Miami? I think so now since Wade has left. I could see him in a Heat uniform maybe even his entire NBA career now. If not, he can come on over to my Celtics for a few years if he wants. :p

I think Josh moving forward can average 15+ pts./game, 4-6 rbs./game, 3-5 assists/game, 2.0-2.5 steals/game, & yes even 1.0-1.5 blocks/game. That's a pretty solid statline.

You beat me to it. I was going to say that Josh with his next contract signing he will be a rich man. He's going to have a huge jump in salary. He will have the money to never have to worry about living for him & his family.

I just hope & pray that he stays healthy. I do think he can have a 10-year career with ease. 15 might be stretching it but it's possible. We all know he's a hard worker & takes care of his body. I could see him signing a contract that pays him $10-$15 million per when his current rookie contract runs out. What a jump in mula! :)

I just wonder if he will stay in Miami? I think so now since Wade has left. I could see him in a Heat uniform maybe even his entire NBA career now. If not, he can come on over to my Celtics for a few years if he wants. :p

I think Josh moving forward can average 15+ pts./game, 4-6 rbs./game, 3-5 assists/game, 2.0-2.5 steals/game, & yes even 1.0-1.5 blocks/game. That's a pretty solid statline.

I think that's a more realistic stat line.

Well, Corey Brewer has managed to stay in the league 10ish years by averaging 10-12 a game and playing defense...obviously, he's 6'9 or 6'10 so it's a bit different, but it can be done.

It's usually a good sign that Josh is not playing. But it's not a good sign for the rest of the summer league players with the Heat. The summer league is only meant for 1 thing. -- To evaluate your rookies and your current contract players.

Some teams have more space than others. Right now, because Josh and Winslow are continuously "sitting out", that means they have already proven to the coaches to be on the roster. The Non-contract players are battling for the limited seats.. and I'm talking limited.

The reality is, summer league isn't really a "try out". It's more about rotation of the team (most likely the 2nd team rotation) and getting your rookies some experience with some players that have already been part of the league.

Was gonna go to the nba game at rupp, but instead I'm going to Louisville to watch j-rich. Should be fun.

I'm so excited to see Dunn. Probably my favorite pg since rondo. I use to (still am.) a huge rondo fan. Minus being from uk lol

I will always be a Rondo fan. He was during a rough time at UK, along with a team that really was odd. Him and Pat Sparks made a weird combo.

Rondo's skillset is so unusual, and in a way he truly is too unselfish, which makes him struggle, espcially without a great shot. I hope he has a good year again.

I will always be a Rondo fan. He was during a rough time at UK, along with a team that really was odd. Him and Pat Sparks made a weird combo.

Rondo's skillset is so unusual, and in a way he truly is too unselfish, which makes him struggle, espcially without a great shot. I hope he has a good year again.

I remember practicing that behind the back fake for months lol I still can't do it 100% right. Before I know it I'm almost out of bounds. He would benefit from going to San Antonio imo. But I think he will have another good year with Chicago.

I remember practicing that behind the back fake for months lol I still can't do it 100% right. Before I know it I'm almost out of bounds. He would benefit from going to San Antonio imo. But I think he will have another good year with Chicago.

I'm a big Celtics fan & believe me I appreciate what he done for the C's to help bring us a championship in 2008. Garnett even said that the Celtics were Rondo's team. I don't know exactly why he left Boston not long after that title but I think he didn't get along with Danny Ainge & management.

But, in reality, he's NEVER been the same basketball player since. His numbers have went down every season since then except for assists a couple of seasons. He's still timid in shooting the ball.

He seems to always want to pass the ball no matter what but when he won the championship with the Celtics Rondo made some jumpers including a few key 3-pointers. I hope he does have success in Chicago myself even though I will always still be rooting for my Celtics.

Rondo is a little bit of a different character/guy so a lot of stuff he does has to be overlooked. He's a big jokster but the past 3-4 years he's calmed down a little with that stuff but sometimes it rubs players & coaches the wrong way. That's what happened mostly to him in Dallas. He couldn't get along with coaching or a couple certain players because of his antics.

VN Store

Back