Robert hubbs overhauling.

Dallasbowlin

Everything woke turns to sh*t
"I'm in the gym 24/7, trying to work on my game and watching film, doing things like that to get better," Hubbs said. "I'm really improving myself this year. I think it's my year to break out."

Nothing is off the table in that constant search for improvement. But consistency in his midrange game has been a focus.

"I think I'm one of the best in the country with my midrange," Hubbs said. "Once I get in my sweet spots I know what to do. I can kick it out, I can pass."

There's not a number or goal in mind to reach the breakout season he's hoping for, but there is a mind-set. It's one that's completely different from the last three years, and more like his high school days.

"Just going out, taking over each and every game," Hubbs said. "Being a leader, being vocal, getting my teammates involved. Just playing hard."

Tennessee Vols basketball's Robert Hubbs overhauling game this summer

Reactions: 8 people
Well, he certainly sounds different. Hope he can back it up...maybe he's just a late bloomer...:)

GO VOLS!

Pulling for him to succeed, but staying healthy has been a problem for him since day one. Add a pain threshold of about zero and his chances of breaking out are slim.

Reactions: 1 person
He's always been very smooth, but very tentative in most of his playing time.

I like the confidence he is showing.

He is developing at about the same pace our last few good wings have. He will have a good year.

Focusing on the positive, I will always remember Robert for his drive to the basket against Vandy at Memorial in 2015 to tie the game and send it into overtime in order to allow us to win. This, after trailing by double digits with 5 or 6 minutes to go in the game.

Pulling for him to succeed, but staying healthy has been a problem for him since day one. Add a pain threshold of about zero and his chances of breaking out are slim.

How in the world do you know how much pain he has had from 2 knee surgeries? Could you stand a hangnail?

How in the world do you know how much pain he has had from 2 knee surgeries? Could you stand a hangnail?

Ah, that's just a guess. Barnes says he can't figure him out and gave up expecting anything from him.
My excuse at least sounds better than he's the most over rated player to ever put on the Orange.

I'll believe it when I see it. We've been waiting 3 years for him to play elite ball and if he hasn't figured it out by now then he probably never will. And another thing, why is he just now getting in the gym 24/7 watching film and trying to improve? He should've followed Punter's lead last year and saw what Barnes did with his shot and see how he could improve his game back then. I'm hoping he proves me wrong but I'm almost to the point where I want Barnes to play only the guys he recruited so we don't stunt their development and get them the playing time they need. Hubbs has always had all the tools but something has just never been right with him since he got here. It's time we start looking at the future.

Actually am interested in seeing Hubbs this year. We will know in first 3 games what we are getting. Transformation like Punter or Hubbs from past few years. Good he realizes this is his last chance.

sounds like hes taking over the senior leader role and following in the footsteps of mcrae, richardson, punter, who all played up to their potential consistently senior year

Too slow. Can't beat a decent guard off the dribble. Can't create his own shot. Will never be a great shooter. I hope I'm wrong and he has an all sec type year. I just have never seen greatness in him. Just a role player. It is what it is. Like I said...I hope I'm wrong.

Too slow. Can't beat a decent guard off the dribble. Can't create his own shot. Will never be a great shooter. I hope I'm wrong and he has an all sec type year. I just have never seen greatness in him. Just a role player. It is what it is. Like I said...I hope I'm wrong.

He seemed to be at his best when he was living in that midrange area and posting up smaller defenders, reading the above gives some optimism to thinking maybe he also realized this. As you mentioned he's not quick enough to beat most 2's or 3's off the bounce, however he can post them up and shoot over them...if it's a 4 guarding him he can beat those guys off the dribble, and still has the ability to use his mid range game. If he develops defensively and shows a willingness to rebound he could definitely be a mismatch 3/4 IMO.

If he can be consistent from 3, beyond consistent from the midrange- mid post, he'll be fine. I look for him to average around 15. Especially if Barnes is working with him. I do knock him sometimes, but he's a pretty good developer.

This cryptic stuff needs to stop, jb. Just tell us what you really think and stop making us guess. Haha

A little harsher than I would've went, but to each their own. I will say, I don't think he needs to be a great shooter to be successful his senior yr. Or even consistently beat guards off the dribble. He just needs to do the things he can do consistently. And stop taking half's, games and weeks at a time off.

This article is nice and all, but we'll see if all this work leads to steady effort.

Listen...I said I hope I am wrong. I'm going on what I've seen from Hubbs the last 3 years. No body on here can say he's played to his potential. And if he has then he is exactly what I said he was ... A nice role player. Let's look at what he said and compare to what we have seen for 3 years....

"Just going out, taking over each and every game," Hubbs said. "Being a leader, being vocal, getting my teammates involved. Just playing hard."

Taking over each game...I haven't seen the heart or leadership or desire yet for Hubbs to be that guy. He should have been that guy last year when we had nothing but average players. Who emerged...punter. Where was Hubbs?

Being a leader...hope not by example. Does not play hard. I'm sure he has, but I don't remember Hubbs being the guy in the ground diving after many loose balls.

Being vocal? Maybe

Getting my teammates involved. They have to be when he's on the floor. Lol

Just playing hard...I haven't seen that yet from Hubbs. At least not consistently. He would show up every now and then. Too many games where he was no factor at all.

Like I said....I hope for Hubbs and my Vols I am wrong.

I agree, JB. He was definitely ranked too high out of high school. But he's always had the athleticism and a good bball frame. He just hasn't put in the work, mentally or physically, to this point.

VN Store

Back