The Mears pre-game walk at Vandy

Thunder Good-Oil

Stumbled across this gem.

Vanderbilt Official Athletic Site - Vanderbilt University

A couple of things that I learned... visiting teams used to get to choose which end of the court that they wanted to defend at the start of each game. Also, Tennessee used to take the unicycle on the road. UT used to have a guy in a giant orange as a mascot and it was created by one of the fraternities. I wonder which frat did that?

Reactions: 3 people
Oh, also... I thought that Dickie Johnston threw an ORANGE back into the crowd but according to the article he threw the basketball into the student section. That ranks right up there with Dan Federman flipping off the crowd at LSU.

Reactions: 1 person
stumbled across this gem.

Ut used to have a guy in a giant orange as a mascot and it was created by one of the fraternities. i wonder which frat did that?

Deltas.jpg

Dean Wormer did not approve this message.

Attachments

• Animal House Deltas.jpeg
    Animal House Deltas.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Had an opportunity to witness that stroll a couple of times when I was given a ticket to sit behind the UT bench. In fact, I saw us beat the dores several times at Memorial and remember seeing Kevin Nash after one of the beat downs that we administered, as he was standing outside the building. Kevin said to the mostly vandy faithful, "have a good night and drive safely".

Not to be picky but I think that was Doug Roth that flipped off LSU.

Sounds right. I was thinking Federman since I've not seen video and figured that was more likely a few years earlier when Big Dan was the center. Maybe they've both had "incidents". I know for sure that it was Carlus Groves that roughed up Shaq and then was attacked by Dale Brown. There is video of that one. Actually I think that it might have been Federman that had the game winning put back when the game clock was slow to start at LSU (and Devoe was loading his team on the bus while Brown was on the PA telling the crowd that the game wasn't over). I'm mixing up my @ LSU controversies with TN's large cracker centers.

Sounds right. I was thinking Federman since I've not seen video and figured that was more likely a few years earlier when Big Dan was the center. Maybe they've both had "incidents". I know for sure that it was Carlus Groves that roughed up Shaq and then was attacked by Dale Brown. There is video of that one. Actually I think that it might have been Federman that had the game winning put back when the game clock was slow to start at LSU (and Devoe was loading his team on the bus while Brown was on the PA telling the crowd that the game wasn't over). I'm mixing up my @ LSU controversies with TN's large cracker centers.

You have it right on the tip-in. Will never forget that nor Brown taking a swing at Carlus. He should have been fired for that.

Dang... we sure seem to have controversial games versus LSU. Carlus Groves attacked by Dale Brown, the clock not starting on time when Tennessee gets a game winning tip in at the buzzer, Doug Roth flipping off the crowd, and Dooley's losing a game he won after the Chinese fire drill-like ending (can you still say Chinese fire drill?). Billy Canon getting stopped at the goal line (in 1959?). There could be more. Not an LSU controversy, but there was the strained interaction between Fulmer and his game winning QB after TN won at LSU with Clausen the 2nd taking over when Ainge melted down. Then throw in TN's Georgia Dome choke job in 2001... Chief getting hired by the Mad Hatter. Pretty colorful rivalry for one of TN's not so traditional rivals.

Dang... we sure seem to have controversial games versus LSU. Carlus Groves attacked by Dale Brown, the clock not starting on time when Tennessee gets a game winning tip in at the buzzer, Doug Roth flipping off the crowd, and Dooley's losing a game he won after the Chinese fire drill-like ending (can you still say Chinese fire drill?). Billy Canon getting stopped at the goal line (in 1959?). There could be more. Not an LSU controversy, but there was the strained interaction between Fulmer and his game winning QB after TN won at LSU with Clausen the 2nd taking over when Ainge melted down. Then throw in TN's Georgia Dome choke job in 2001... Chief getting hired by the Mad Hatter. Pretty colorful rivalry for one of TN's not so traditional rivals.

Along those same lines, LSU fans and John Brady HATED Bruce Pearl. In his first season, Pearl inserted Dane Bradshaw late in the game at LSU, and held Dane's arm up like the winner of a boxing/wrestling match at the scorer's table and semi-taunted the LSU home crowd as we were getting drubbed.

Along those same lines, LSU fans and John Brady HATED Bruce Pearl. In his first season, Pearl inserted Dane Bradshaw late in the game at LSU, and held Dane's arm up like the winner of a boxing/wrestling match at the scorer's table and semi-taunted the LSU home crowd as we were getting drubbed.

I forgot about that. I cringed a little. Weren't the students waving pics of Dane's sister at him?

Federman had the late tip-in to win in Baton Rouge. Brown wanted time put back on clock, but Devoe refused to allow his team return to the court.

Federman had the late tip-in to win in Baton Rouge. Brown wanted time put back on clock, but Devoe refused to allow his team return to the court.

That was a great ending. Dale Briwn was telling the fans to stay put because they were going to replay the final possession while Devoe was putting his players on the bus without showering or changing out of their uniforms in order to get the hell out of there.

VN Store

Back