Jimmy England illness

orangefloyd

I didn't see this posted anywhere. Per a post from a family friend on the Holston high Facebook page Jimmy has been moved to a hospice facility in Marrietta,Ga. Jimmy was one of the greatest Vol basketball players and the greatest Warrior player. He was my math teacher in high school. A really terrific person. Update : Jimmy passed away this A.M. 6/16.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Sad to see this. Watched (listened to John Ward mostly) him play when I was little. Prayers for him & his family.

Reactions: 3 people
I met him in English class one day. I didn't know who he was. He had to introduce himself. Pre-internet days. Stupid me. Nice guy. Didn't his family own England Sound in Knoxville?

Reactions: 2 people
I will pray for him. I met him when I was in 6th grade through Junior Pro Basketball. He came to our school and I was able to talk with him.

Reactions: 1 person
I was a Holston classmate. Some of my best memories are around the 1968 state basketball tournament. Holston played Alcoa in the district final. We played again in the regional final. And... went multiple overtimes in the state finals. Alcoa was led by Albert Davis who went on to football fame and Jimmy England led Holston. He was a great athlete and is a class person.

Reactions: 4 people
Jimmy was the 2nd of "The Big 3" out of Knoxville to play a major factor in Coach Ray Mears system as perimeter players. He was preceded by Billy Justus and succeeded by Bert Bertelcamp at the pg position. Other pg's that were also major factors were Ron Widby(also played fb) and "Little" Dickie Johnston. The Mears Era was when I first became an avid Vol basketball fan and have followed ever since.

My prayers for Jimmy and His Family during these tough days.

Reactions: 6 people
Jimmy was the 2nd of "The Big 3" out of Knoxville to play a major factor in Coach Ray Mears system as perimeter players. He was preceded by Billy Justus and succeeded by Bert Bertelcamp at the pg position. Other pg's that were also major factors were Ron Widby(also played fb) and "Little" Dickie Johnston. The Mears Era was when I first became an avid Vol basketball fan and have followed ever since.

My prayers for Jimmy and His Family during these tough days.

Where did Dickie Johnston go to high school? Was Danny Schultz local?

While Jimmy England was at UT, his brother Gary was playing for Auburn.

I met him in English class one day. I didn't know who he was. He had to introduce himself. Pre-internet days. Stupid me. Nice guy. Didn't his family own England Sound in Knoxville?

The Jim England that owned England Sound is a different guy. He also owned The Last Lap.

england-banner1-294x389.jpg

...England finished his career ranked third on UT’s all-time scoring list. His fade-away jump shot was unstoppable, and he was Tennessee’s top scorer, free-throw shooter and assists man in both his junior and senior years. He was an 88 percent career free throw shooter — the best in school history — and was ranked as high as No. 2 in the nation his senior year, finishing at No. 3.

In the opening game of 1969, England led an undersized, outmanned Volunteer team to what might be called the biggest upset win in Tennessee basketball history by beating No. 1 ranked University of South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina. He scored 20 points and played a flawless floor game.

Later that season, England battled Pistol Pete Maravich, the most prolific scorer in NCAA history, in an epic game in Knoxville where both players scored 30 points with the Vols prevailed 88-87.

Jimmy England « Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I knew him in high school also (he was in my sister's class). He was incredibly talented. They wouldn't let freshmen play on the varsity at that time. He would have been a starter if he had been eligible. He was heavily recruited by John Wooden in the middle of UCLA's national championship run. I was really glad when he chose UT.

I think he beat cancer a few years ago and it returned recently.

Last edited:
May God bless him, his family and friends!!! I saw him play as a freshman in a JV game against Ky. in Middlesboro Ky. his first year. Always one of my favorite Vols.

I remember listening to the Vols and Jimmy England in the NIT against St. John's in 1971. Jimmy led the Vols to a thrilling OT win in New York.

I will miss Jimmy England. My first Vols hoops hero.

...England finished his career ranked third on UT’s all-time scoring list. His fade-away jump shot was unstoppable...

In the opening game of 1969, England led an undersized, outmanned Volunteer team to what might be called the biggest upset win in Tennessee basketball history by beating No. 1 ranked University of South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina. He scored 20 points and played a flawless floor game.

Jimmy England « Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame

I can still visualize how he looked dribbling the ball at the point. His sweaty mop of hair, his back to the basket, stooped over, dribbling the ball at the top of the circle, holding his defender off with his butt, looking over his shoulder for the play setup, as he backed his way into the defense. And the occasional spin-around, fade-away jump shot from the key.

I remember listening to John Ward call the South Carolina game on radio. Miraculous win against the #1 team at their place.

Reactions: 6 people
Nice posts for a great Vol basketball player. Jimmy England & Mike Edwards were two great players under Coach Mears who could light it up from long range before the 3-point line came into play. :hi:

VN Store

Back