More Small Ball this Coming Season?

What's he going to say. "We have very little height so actually I think we'll just practice a little, go thru the motions, you know sell a little popcorn and coke and call it a season". No he's going to play with what's he got.,,which is a very athletic team. Granted vertically challenged but still can be pretty good. Do I wish we had 4 players 6'7" and above with the ability of oh say a L.B.? Of course but we don't and it still should be fun. By the way CRB is one of the few coaches who list actual sizes and not inflated by 2-3 inches. So you can relax. JMO of course,

Reactions: 10 people
Concerning.

Might as well pull Alexander, Evans', Fulk and Williams schollys at this point.

Who needs a big man when you have a roster full of 2's and 3's………

Everyone acts like UT has always had teams with height. The whole time Pearl only had 2 guys over 6'10 and it was Wingate for a year and Brian Williams, who was garbage until his senior year. Hall and Fields were around 6'10 but they weren't game changers. Chism and stokes were probably two of the best 5's we've had for a while and 6'9 would be stretching it. Him and Stokes both were under 6'10.

I'd rather have better guards than post players the way the game has evolved. Alexander will develop nicely into a rim protector. We'll be ok.

Reactions: 8 people
I guess, might as well, forfeit the season...no reason to play...give up...to the prognosticators...who can't enjoy anything...:)

GO VOLS!

Another 13 win season and we'll check back to see how many are still in the que sera mindset.
This is the Barnes who built a reputation with dominating front courts. 13 wins regular season without one last season.
Aaah. No reason for concern.

Reactions: 2 people
Barnes will be fired after the 2018 season, he will go all 3 seasons without a tourney appearance

Reactions: 2 people
He's a great coach I just think he's past his prime and can't recruit well enough. We will see, I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, he has spewed the building like Golden State and some fans have seen this incoming recruiting class and have made that comparison!? Average fan doesn't realize that GSW have 4 guys 6'10-7'0 and let's not talk about Steph Curry being such an elite shooter. Their small ball line up consist of a 6'7 elite shooter in Klay Thompson and the front court is: 6'6, 6'8 and 6'7. They all can handle the basketball drive and shoot 3's. Also OKC said in this series we are not going to play down to them and have started and played long stretches of 7'0, 6'10, 6,10 with a 6'11 and 6'7 guy coming in off the bench. OKC small ball front court is 6'10, 6'10 and 6'7.

Last edited:
Very good chance this could happen, but I think he would be "encouraged" to retire instead of being fired.

If Dave Hart is still AD and football is healthy he ain't being pushed out for 5 or 6 years. This is Dave Hart's hire, he is smarter than everybody and Hart did not fire Leonard Hamilton after 6! years of no NCAA Tourney bids. None! He made it his 7th year there and is still coach there with elite recruiting classes and only 4 NCAA bid in 14 years. On a funny side note after Hart fired Tyndall, he had Leonard Hamilton on his short list! The meltdown would have been epic on here and other Tennessee boards if he had hired him.

If Dave Hart is still AD and football is healthy he ain't being pushed out for 5 or 6 years. This is Dave Hart's hire, he is smarter than everybody and Hart did not fire Leonard Hamilton after 6! years of no NCAA Tourney bids. None! He made it his 7th year there and is still coach there with elite recruiting classes and only 4 NCAA bid in 14 years. On a funny side note after Hart fired Tyndall, he had Leonard Hamilton on his short list! The meltdown would have been epic on here and other Tennessee boards if he had hired him.

I'd venture to say FSU fans don't care nearly as much as Tennessee fans about basketball.

If Wade Houston didn't have a son, Leonard Hamilton might could have replaced Devoe at UT. Of course he wasn't from Alcoa when Lamar (from Blount county) was the fake UT prez either.

On to Villanova as Barnes has mentioned. This goes into the debate's on this and other boards about his new recruiting way's at Tennessee. Villanova has 7- 4 stars, 3-3 stars and 1-5 star. Yes they are short height wise but are experienced and have size weight wise with guys 245, 240, 210, 200 and 195. They can handle, drive the ball and have three guys that shoot over 38% on 3 pointer's.

I'd venture to say FSU fans don't care nearly as much as Tennessee fans about basketball.

I agree but Hart has already been embarrassed by the Tyndall deal and will fight for Rick Barnes (with whom he has a previous relationship with) tooth and nail.

I don't have a problem with small ball as long as everyone on the floor can shoot and get out in transition. The problem with that is we don't really have any proven shooters so I don't see it being a benefit this year. Maybe he can help transform everyone's shot like he did with Punter but that is highly unlikely. I'm thinking the following year is when we will start to be a really good SEC team that has the chance of making a Sweet 16 run. We will be lucky to be considered a bubble team by the end of this coming season and that's the ceiling of the current team unfortunately.

I agree but Hart has already been embarrassed by the Tyndall deal and will fight for Rick Barnes (with whom he has a previous relationship with) tooth and nail.

I think if Barnes happens to not make the tourney his first 3 years he may be out of a job.

Folks need to be prepared for some growing pains. We will have a really young but athletic team. We probably won't be able to shoot consistently from the outside. They will have to rely on transition and defense.

Barnes inherited a mess. Sure, it would be nice if he had some four or five stars lined up, but he is having to build a program. Just enjoy what we have. The good thing is that we should have a real PG (actually 2) for the first time in 5 years.

Barnes WILL NOT be forced out at UT for 5-6 years at least. Only if something catastrophe happens...come on guys I give y'all more credit than that...Wow!...and it doesn't take an insider to know that one.

Barnes WILL NOT be forced out at UT for 5-6 years at least. Only if something catastrophe happens...come on guys I give y'all more credit than that...Wow!...and it doesn't take an insider to know that one.

Not making the tourney in 3 years is reason to fire any coach.

Folks need to be prepared for some growing pains. We will have a really young but athletic team. We probably won't be able to shoot consistently from the outside. They will have to rely on transition and defense.

Barnes inherited a mess. Sure, it would be nice if he had some four or five stars lined up, but he is having to build a program. Just enjoy what we have. The good thing is that we should have a real PG (actually 2) for the first time in 5 years.

It was not worse than why Tyndall inherited. Donnie was hired almost a month later than Rick, had to replace a complete recruiting class and deal with the Cuonzo drama which included on the recruiting trail that the Tnnessee fan base is racist. Rick didn't deal with that junk, had Tyndall's 3 guys and a guy named Rob Gray(avg. 16ppg this year at Houston) wanting to sign here but Rick blew him off but at least signed Lamonte Turner who was also along with Gray visiting Tennessee the day Hart fired Tyndall. Turner was already working with Tyndall to graduate early and enroll at
Tennessee. Rick and staff did a good follow up job getting him signed. Rick should have with his name and contacts came in here doing the Iowa State model and build it up quickly with a lot of grad transfer's, regular transfer's siting out, Juco's and a few freshman that you slowly bring up and then you build. Now you've built it up and showed you can win here, you start signing highly rated freshman and back off on the transfer's to 1-2 of them a year. It's actually a pretty simple formula and then Rick could show Texas and other's that he's still got it.

Last edited:
A lot of people on here think that they know how to coach better than the guy that's been doing it for a couple of decades and gets paid 7 figures to coach for Tennessee.

VN Store

Back