Let's talk about 2016 tennessee vols

Volswagg1017

This is next year roster.

Kwe Parker, Detrick Mostella, Shembari Phillips, Admiral Schofield, Lew Evans, Lamonte Turner, Robert Hubbs, Grant Williams, Jordan Bone, Kyle Alexander, John Fulkerson, Jordan Bowden, Lucas Campbell, Brad woodson jalen Johnson.

Let the convo start.

Point guards
Lamonte turner, Jordan bone, kwe parker

Shooting guards
Detrick Mostella, Shembari Phillips, Jordan Bowden, Lucas Campbell, Brad woodson

Small forwards
Admiral Schofield, Robert Hubbs, jalen johnson

Power forwards
John Fulkerson, Grant Williams

Centers
Kyle alexander, Lew Evans.

I put both walk-ons at shooting guards, jmo

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Call me crazy but I think we have a better year this year than last and make the NIT. Having a true point and backup point goes a long way. The year after is the year we go back to the dance. No excuses year 3.

Reactions: 3 people
Call me crazy but I think we have a better year this year than last and make the NIT. Having a true point and backup point goes a long way. The year after is the year we go back to the dance. No excuses year 3.

Not sure about the year 3 expectation, but I do agree that we might be able to make the NIT with this roster. Obviously it depends on how the youth develops and if Hubbs has any real moxie and leadership in him. Hope abounds....expectations tempered.

Should be an interesting season. Curious to see what Barnes can do with this bunch and how he's going to recruit now that he's had time to get established at UT.

Reactions: 1 person
The big key is Kyle Alexander's development. He needs to put on some weight this off season and embrace more contact at the 5. We need to have some sort of low post presence on both ends.

I'm also curious who will emerge as a floor leader. Last yr we had Armani and KP. Hopefully Stella and Turner are able to take on that role, cause its hard imagining Hubbs making that leap from his first 3 yrs. Jmo

I don't expect much the next two seasons. The NIT in 2017 and making the NCAAT's first weekend in 2018 seems to be the ceiling. After that it will be interesting to see if Barnes continues to add similar players that aren't high stars but should be in the program for 4 or 5 years or if he tries to add a KY type of one-and-done player to his mix. Without a high star signee, Final Fours and possibly EEs are nearly out of reach, but regular trips to the Sweet 16 are. I wonder if the fickle fan base is up for less than EE appearances? Also, if Barnes gets the high 3 star signees to play very good team ball, where the whole plays better than the individual parts, will adding an elite level player or two disrupt the chemistry?

Eventually Barnes will have to balance out his signing classes. Three freshman point guards is great now, but in four years it creates a problem. Maybe Kwe Parker or Bone can play the 2 and another point guard can be recruited in about two years. Turner can't RS, I'm not sure if Bone has one, and I don't think that Parker or Bone would be happy taking a year off.

Idk Thunder, Butler had some good runs with 2 and 3 star guys.

Volswagg, is that 1017 a brick squad reference son??

I see us either barely making it to the Dance or be first four out type of thing. Barnes can coach and he will get the guys ready to beat the expectations.

If they can stay healthy I think they can be better, they've got improved an improved roster from a talent standpoint, but obviously there's inexperience and still some holes in the roster. I think best case they win 17 possibly 18 games.

Basketball is about playing as a team. Listening to each other on defense. Playing smart. If guys can make shots consistently and rebound rebound rebound. Then I think this group has potential to surprise a lot of folks. Not saying NCAA tourny. Just surprise. I have no expectations. I just want to see us compete game in and game out. Hustle makes me happy. If we don't see effort then there will be no progress. The Maui trip is going to be a measuring stick. But not a judgement of how the season will go. Mid SEC play I just hope we are middle of the pack and getting better. Not just skating along.

Basketball is about playing as a team. Listening to each other on defense. Playing smart. If guys can make shots consistently and rebound rebound rebound. Then I think this group has potential to surprise a lot of folks. Not saying NCAA tourny. Just surprise. I have no expectations. I just want to see us compete game in and game out. Hustle makes me happy. If we don't see effort then there will be no progress. The Maui trip is going to be a measuring stick. But not a judgement of how the season will go. Mid SEC play I just hope we are middle of the pack and getting better. Not just skating along.

Freshmen can make a much earlier impact in basketball, so the idea they could surprise isn't out of the realm of possibility, but I still think the glaring lack of size will show up too often, and we will live and die on the perimeter offensively.

Idk Thunder, Butler had some good runs with 2 and 3 star guys.

Volswagg, is that 1017 a brick squad reference son??

I think about the Butler comparison and this class of freshmen a lot. I think that the problem of doing something like what they did is that even as down as the SEC is, it is still far better than what Butler had to grind through. TN will not be able to coast through many easy games ever... they will have to fight for every win. Even the lesser non-conference opponents are at their best because they have an opportunity to beat a big, bad SEC opponent.

They lost 52 points in offense. My estimate would be about 12 -13 games. Don't believe you can overcome the loss of 4 seniors and still no front court to speak of, in one season.
Add a tougher OOCS also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I don't expect much the next two seasons. The NIT in 2017 and making the NCAAT's first weekend in 2018 seems to be the ceiling. After that it will be interesting to see if Barnes continues to add similar players that aren't high stars but should be in the program for 4 or 5 years or if he tries to add a KY type of one-and-done player to his mix. Without a high star signee, Final Fours and possibly EEs are nearly out of reach, but regular trips to the Sweet 16 are. I wonder if the fickle fan base is up for less than EE appearances? Also, if Barnes gets the high 3 star signees to play very good team ball, where the whole plays better than the individual parts, will adding an elite level player or two disrupt the chemistry?

Eventually Barnes will have to balance out his signing classes. Three freshman point guards is great now, but in four years it creates a problem. Maybe Kwe Parker or Bone can play the 2 and another point guard can be recruited in about two years. Turner can't RS, I'm not sure if Bone has one, and I don't think that Parker or Bone would be happy taking a year off.

We should be able to make the ncaa this year we still got players that can play the point if some of the freshman starting hitting a wall which is going to happen this team won't relieve on one person with the ball at all times. Different ppl will bring the ball down depending on the match up and defense.

Idk if I have told yall but I'm also a huge nova fan been since 2001 die hard just like I am for the Vols but vols my number one team and always will be my number one team. But I see rick barnes building teams like jay wright did back when he first got to nova

With a young guard heavy team with big men mostly rebounding defending then getting asked to score the ball as the 3rd opinion if they can't find a guard to kick it to.

I would be fine with this. Obviously we want to win it all but for where we are right now I would take a couple sweet 16 appearances over the next 5 ish years.

I think it's going to be a long season

Idk maybe depending on how we start the season and how we come back from a loss. We bring in a class like *****es foundation class not a lot of high ranked recruits but they all are quality in thete own way and bring in winning mentalities and mind sets.

Aa long as our team don't turnover the ball and rebounds. We should be pretty good.

Barnes' most successful teams excelled in low TO rates, high percentage ORd and better than average 3pt shooting.
3pt shooting may be the biggest question mark. That and still no size, you're asking a lot from this much youth.

It's the SEC. The competition is substandard after the top couple of teams. A competent team that plays hard and that scores the ball decently can win 17+ games. I see some scorers. Barnes runs transition, so the bigs issue is somewhat mitigated. If the guys will fully commit to playing D/rebounding - NIT or bubble NCAA. They need to get off to a reasonably good start.

Barnes' most successful teams excelled in low TO rates, high percentage ORd and better than average 3pt shooting.
3pt shooting may be the biggest question mark. That and still no size, you're asking a lot from this much youth.

With the coaching we got shouldn't be hard.

VN Store

Back