Richardson out, only McRae remains

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I was kinda hoping the Heat would pull out game seven this afternoon against the Raptors, so we could see Josh Richardson play for one more series, but it didn't happen.

Assuming his stats on NBA.com are current, Richardson finished his playoff run appearing in 14 games, averaging 6.6 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 27.6 minutes per game. His minutes were up from 21.3 during the regular season.

Jordan McRae is still alive with the Cavs, though he's only appeared in one playoff game, where he scored five points in just one minute on the floor. I don't expect we'll see much of him in the Conference Finals.

Reactions: 1 person
Great post, Freak. If Stokes can catch on and we have 5 guys in the NBA at once I would assume that would be the most we've ever had in the league at one time. For awhile it looked like Hopson might catch on and we could have 6, but no such luck.

Here's to hoping Jordy gets a few minutes next series.

Great post, Freak. If Stokes can catch on and we have 5 guys in the NBA at once I would assume that would be the most we've ever had in the league at one time. For awhile it looked like Hopson might catch on and we could have 6, but no such luck.

Here's to hoping Jordy gets a few minutes next series.

I had to think who the fifth guy is. I had almost forgotten about CJ Watson.

the advanced metrics nerds at boxscoregeeks show J Rich as one of the 10 most productive rookies this year.

Us Vol fans already knew about Josh's tenacity and work ethic, but its nice for him to get recognition on such a big stage. Its crazy that the Heat were playing him at point in the fourth quarter of pivotal playoff games. He is a great example of a rookie coming in with the right mindset. Earn playing time by playing tough defense and not turning the ball over and the scoring will come as a result of that. Really looking forward to watching him develop. Maybe he can play for the Grizz one day. Would be a very solid replacement for Tony Allen, even though Josh is a much better scorer.

Reactions: 1 person
Hey Dallas...no Okafor :dance2:

In fact Okafor actually had the third worst WP out of EVERY ROOKIE IN THE LEAGUE.

Yeah, he had a bad year. That being said, a 19 YO's rookie year results aren't necessarily a good indicator of future value. Lebron had below average productivity his rookie year according to WP.

Wins produced...obviously gonna be bad, but even guys like WCS had a positive one on bad teams lmao

I think part of it is role. WCS is on a bad team, but he's not asked to carry the offense. Okafor needs to stop shooting so much and save his effort for rebounding, but that's not really a luxury he can afford.

McRae may luck out and end out getting a ring this year. If Steph doesn't stay healthy, or if the cavs get finished in 5 or less games, or if the Cavs just play their 100% best like they have been they have a better shot than not really. Because I don't think there's any way that Golden State/OKC doesn't go at least six games.

I think part of it is role. WCS is on a bad team, but he's not asked to carry the offense. Okafor needs to stop shooting so much and save his effort for rebounding, but that's not really a luxury he can afford.

True.

I know zero about WP calculations...didn't even watch the hapless sixers. Okafor is a talented kid. Sucks he has to lose like Noel and others drafted recently.

True.

I know zero about WP calculations...didn't even watch the hapless sixers. Okafor is a talented kid. Sucks he has to lose like Noel and others drafted recently.

I'll give you a brief overview of the methodology.

The guy who developed it is economist David Berri. He basically tested out different variables to see how they related to winning using regression modeling. He found that Shooting Efficiency x Attempts, Assists, Steals, Rebounds, Turnovers, Blocks, and Fouls explained 97% of winning. Some variables are more important than others and are weighted accordingly.

So the model is based on mathematical relationships, as opposed to the Player Efficiency Rankings ESPN uses, which are just made up on the fly and have nothing to do with actual winning.

So based on the statistics a player accrues, you can tie a number of wins to his productivity. It's not supposed to be perfect, but it is pretty accurate.

If you add up the total WP of the individual players on a team, you will find it's pretty close to their actual number of wins.

For example, the individual Warriors players' WP add up to 70 (off by 3). The 76ers players add up to 13 (off by 3). Cleveland = 57 (exactly right). Etc.

Box Score Geeks - Stats for Golden State Warriors
Box Score Geeks - Stats for Philadelphia 76ers
Box Score Geeks - Stats for Cleveland Cavaliers

Very neat huff. I had heard before how it worked but never looked into it to see how it really works.

This reminds me of the way Billy Beane and Peter Brand put the Oakland As roster together in baseball. Basketball's version of Moneyball.

This reminds me of the way Billy Beane and Peter Brand put the Oakland As roster together in baseball. Basketball's version of Moneyball.

Yeah, it's similar, but the math is actually more predictive in basketball. Baseball is a lot less predictable, especially the post season.

Spurs are definitely playing some version of Moneyball. Most of the guys they go after thrive in the wins produced model. They traded George Hill (one of the best backup PGs in the league) for non-lottery pick Kawhi Leonard. WP rated KL as the best player in the draft and he's proven to be the best player from that draft.

They always seem to find a way to get bargain players. They recently traded up to get Kyle Anderson at pick #23, and he was one of the top 5 players in that draft according to WP. Danny Green got cut by like 3 teams before he became an important cog in their wheel.

Us Vol fans already knew about Josh's tenacity and work ethic, but its nice for him to get recognition on such a big stage. Its crazy that the Heat were playing him at point in the fourth quarter of pivotal playoff games. He is a great example of a rookie coming in with the right mindset. Earn playing time by playing tough defense and not turning the ball over and the scoring will come as a result of that. Really looking forward to watching him develop. Maybe he can play for the Grizz one day. Would be a very solid replacement for Tony Allen, even though Josh is a much better scorer.

They can send Josh to my Celtics anytime now! :) I'd take him playing on my Celtics team anytime. Heck, I'd take Stokes & McRae as well. We have 8 draft picks this coming draft & I'm sure we will not be using them all to make picks so trading picks for players will be an option.

I don't believe the Heat would opt for trading Josh though. I would love for the Celts to sign Stokes though as a FA. McRae could be a trade bait possibility though for the Cavs.

VN Store

Back