CA: Rick Barnes vs his old friend, Tubby Smith

UofMemphis

Vols? Rick Barnes says Memphis ?fortunate? to have Tubby Smith

Tennessee men's basketball coach Rick Barnes has known new University of Memphis coach Tubby Smith for more than 35 years. But their longtime friendship isn't going to deter Barnes from trying to tap into the rich talent base in Memphis that Smith will now want to protect as the Tigers' coach.

"We've already started trying to recruit Memphis from the very first day we got on the job (last March). The key is you've gotta find the match (and) what fits our program," said Barnes, speaking at The Great Hall in Germantown on Wednesday as part of the Big Orange Caravan's annual stop in the Memphis area.

"We have great respect for Memphis. I've got an experienced staff that's been around a long time and we know how good basketball is in Memphis, Tennessee," Barnes said. "And like I said, being the state university, there's not gonna be one area in this state that we don't recruit."

Asked if that meant he planned to push Smith for Memphis-area talent, Barnes said, "Tubby's gonna work. I don't care who's coaching where. Tubby and his staff, they're gonna work and they always have. Again, you're talking about one of the classiest guys in the business. I'm telling you, Memphis is fortunate to have him."

read the rest of the article about the Big Orange Caravan in Germantown here: Vols? Rick Barnes says Memphis ?fortunate? to have Tubby Smith

it also has a few comments from Butch Jones.

Reactions: 1 person
At this stage I would say Barnes has the overall edge on recruiting over Tubby. As for recruits out of Memphis I still say it's going to be hard for UT to get the elite players to come that way. When you can only count a handful of Memphis players to have played round ball for the Vols that should tell you UT has not been to successful - Brooks, Stokes, Prince come to mind.

At this stage I would say Barnes has the overall edge on recruiting over Tubby. As for recruits out of Memphis I still say it's going to be hard for UT to get the elite players to come that way. When you can only count a handful of Memphis players to have played round ball for the Vols that should tell you UT has not been to successful - Brooks, Stokes, Prince come to mind.

Tony Harris, Dane Bradshaw, JP Prince, Scooter McFadgon too, but we're still talking about less than 10 players over a 35 year span.

Having followed this for 40 years I'll have to say on an annual basis there are only a couple of players a year in basketball and maybe 4 in football that we should be interested in anyway from Memphis. Atlanta area has been and will continue to be our "hotbed" with middle Tennessee coming on strong. A close friend who I've known since he was born is on Tubbys staff at Memphis. Look forward to discussing this point with him.

Did you read the comments on the Commercial Appeal article shared in the KNS? Memphis fans worried about playing the Vols and allowing us to get a foothold in recruiting.

Did you read the comments on the Commercial Appeal article shared in the KNS? Memphis fans worried about playing the Vols and allowing us to get a foothold in recruiting.

lol, no football series, no basketball series...just that simple.

We're content to sit back and play teams like Ole Miss and Miss State home-home in basketball/football...besides, they're both closer to Memphis...see if the new Vandy coach wants a football/basketball series.

lol, no football series, no basketball series...just that simple.

We're content to sit back and play teams like Ole Miss and Miss State home-home in basketball/football...besides, they're both closer to Memphis...see if the new Vandy coach wants a football/basketball series.

Lol we're content not playing you guys too. It'll save you guys some embarrassment on the gridiron.

Reactions: 1 person
Lol we're content not playing you guys too. It'll save you guys some embarrassment on the gridiron.

and we're perfectly content beating up on Mississippi, thanks...easier drive, too.

5XMcjx0.jpg

and we're perfectly content beating up on Mississippi, thanks...easier drive, too.

5XMcjx0.jpg

Cool story broseph. They are fun beating up on, we've done it 44 times. And fwiw, you're 11 wins vs their 48 wins isn't exactly "beating up" on them. Plus not to mention Memphis will go back to being trash since Fuente left. You might want to see if Vandy will take you up on that offer, but they might even be too much for Memphis to handle.

Cool story broseph. They are fun beating up on, we've done it 44 times. And fwiw, you're 11 wins vs their 48 wins isn't exactly "beating up" on them. Plus not to mention Memphis will go back to being trash since Fuente left. You might want to see if Vandy will take you up on that offer, but they might even be too much for Memphis to handle.

you can wish all you like, that ain't gonna happen under Norvell...esp not with SMU, Tulane, Kansas, SEMO (FCS), Tulsa, etc on the schedule...be sure to watch us in our bowl game next season!

you can wish all you like, that ain't gonna happen under Norvell...esp not with SMU, Tulane, Kansas, SEMO (FCS), Tulsa, etc on the schedule...be sure to watch us in our bowl game next season!

you say that as if simply making a bowl game is some huge accomplishment? You do realize a .500 season, or in some cases not even that, will get you in a bowl game?? Making it to one of the bigger bowl games sure, but simply saying "watch us in our bowl game" is not exactly the best evidence to support your case IMO.

you say that as if simply making a bowl game is some huge accomplishment? You do realize a .500 season, or in some cases not even that, will get you in a bowl game?? Making it to one of the bigger bowl games sure, but simply saying "watch us in our bowl game" is not exactly the best evidence to support your case IMO.

uh, UT has been to 2 bowls in 5 years...:good!:

VN Store

Back