Barnes loving Vols' offseason attitude, effort

kamoshika

Barnes smiled when relaying a recent talk he had with redshirt freshman point guard Lamonte Turner — who, despite not playing a single game last season, turned into one of the team’s leaders — about the Vols’ plans to sleep in this offseason.

“Last year I could tell you that when we first got here, I don’t know how many times we got up at 5:30 in the morning and ran that ramp (at Thompson-Boling Arena) for guys being late or doing that or doing that,” Barnes said. “But I heard Lamonte say the other day, ‘Coach, we’re not getting up one time.’ He said, ‘I’m gonna take care of that.’ That’s what you want.

“They’ve been great. And I will tell you this: There’s not a guy on our roster that’s coming back that hasn’t gotten better since we played our last game.”

Barnes loving Vols' offseason attitude, effort

Reactions: 14 people
Nice read. I think Barnes is capable of getting our Vols on a streak like he did at TX. Ive got a good feeling about this years team. Thoughts?

Nice read. I think Barnes is capable of getting our Vols on a streak like he did at TX. Ive got a good feeling about this years team. Thoughts?

Not to be negative at all, I just dont think the talent is there, although I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the top 6-8 of the Sec, which again doesn't say much. Jus trying to be realistic.

Reactions: 3 people
Nothing but sophs and freshmen. A little more time of patient fans will be needed.

Trading 4 seniors for a PG, I'll be surprised if they're not a little worse.
Barnes has dropped the ball on his front court twice now.

I would reserve final judgment on that until the roster is set, with Evans and/or Yurtseven still out there it seems a bit premature to make that statement.

Reactions: 1 person
The potential is there but they will probably struggle some early especially in the SEC. I look for them to show improvement as the season progresses. Not worried about wins next year as much as progress.

I agree. Do you think we'll be at least a little better than last season? I'm leaning towards yes.

Hopefully, Mostella and Hubbs have that fire they had during the SEC tourney for an entire season , if so, then maybe they win enough for a NIT bid. If not, then 13/14 wins

Trading 4 seniors for a PG, I'll be surprised if they're not a little worse.
Barnes has dropped the ball on his front court twice now.

If u look over the years at his teams he really only use one or two big man...starter and back up unless his last year at texas.

As has been said before," Don't talk about it, be about it". Handle your business on the floor and let the results do the talking.

Hopefully, Mostella and Hubbs have that fire they had during the SEC tourney for an entire season , if so, then maybe they win enough for a NIT bid. If not, then 13/14 wins

I believe the key is going to be Alexander. If he can turn the corner and give us some positive post presence and rim protection. If he gave us 10pt/8rebs/2blks each night this would be huge for next season.

I believe the key is going to be Alexander. If he can turn the corner and give us some positive post presence and rim protection. If he gave us 10pt/8rebs/2blks each night this would be huge for next season.

No shot he gets 10pts a game

6-7pts would be great IMO

VN Store

Back