VFL Jarnell Stokes D-League Finals MVP

VOLywood

Sioux Falls Skyforce wins the D-League championship and Stokes takes home the Finals MVP (had already won the league MVP award).

Skyforce Claim First D League Crown in Game 3 Rout

Center Jarnell Stokes was named the D-League Finals MVP after winning the regular season’s MVP honor. He had 25 points on 11-13 shooting with 12 rebounds in Game 3 after a quiet Game 2.

“This means a lot,” Stokes said of the championship. “I’ve gotten accolades, but there’s a lot more to be done (beyond individual awards).”

The Skyforce looked for Stokes early and often. He scored on Sioux Falls’ first two possessions of the game and ultimately scored 13 points on eight shots in the frame, after scoring 10 points on four shots in all of Game 2.

“As my mentor Coach Spo would tell me, the main thing is the main thing,” Craig said, alluding to Miami Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra. “(Stokes) was our best player all season. I had to get into some film to make sure I put him in the best situations today to be the best player on the floor.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
On a side note, I saw that his brother Isaiah is still 100% Crystal Balled to us on 247. They have him listed at 6'8" 285, and the 14th rated defensive end. Can you imagine that monster coming off the end?

Reactions: 2 people
Good luck to Jarnell, I enjoyed watching him while he was here in Memphis as part of the Grizzlies.

I think he makes a pro team come 2016 camp. Which team I have no clue but he's improved enough to be on an NBA team in my opinion. If not, I think he will eventually go to Europe & make more money there.

If the D-League MVP can't make an NBA team, then why would anyone play in it?

That's a good question. There have been a few D league success stories, CJ Watson is a good example, but even the BEST D leaguers are typically either role players or journeymen in the league. Matt Barnes, Amir Johnson and Jordan Farmar all come to mind.

If the D-League MVP can't make an NBA team, then why would anyone play in it?

For the same reason guys like Adam Morrison or J.J. Reddick can be the best players to ever live in college but not do the same in the NBA, because physically they're just missing something. Stoke's issue is not his work ethic or skill set. It's his physical build, and it will keep him from making a whole lot more money in the NBA unfortunately.

Some team may pick him up, and probably should, but he's going to struggle to find a role on any team.

On a side note, I saw that his brother Isaiah is still 100% Crystal Balled to us on 247. They have him listed at 6'8" 285, and the 14th rated defensive end. Can you imagine that monster coming off the end?

I thought he quit football to focus on basketball?

I thought he quit football to focus on basketball?

I had thought he was being recruited as an offensive tackle... Last year Jarnell even brought him to Knoxville to be around the football program for a few days and talk to some of the offensive lineman during the offseason.

Nobody seems to know about this kid for sure it seems. Regardless I think he will make an impact on the court OR on the field.

Would be cool to see Tee Highins re-commit and play both sports and also have Isaiah play both sports. Would never happen at UT, though.

For the same reason guys like Adam Morrison or J.J. Reddick can be the best players to ever live in college but not do the same in the NBA, because physically they're just missing something. Stoke's issue is not his work ethic or skill set. It's his physical build, and it will keep him from making a whole lot more money in the NBA unfortunately.

Some team may pick him up, and probably should, but he's going to struggle to find a role on any team.

What physical build does Zack Randolph have that Stokes is missing?

Randolph has 3 point range and strong mid range game. Barkley was really good at ball handling and took a lot of rebounds coast to coast.

yup. Only thing similar about Charles and Stokes is their height and ability to rebound well.

Barkley was a great ball handler for his size and unreal athlete and jumper (at least with the Sixers)

Solid passer too

Isn't he a better basketball prospect?

yup. Only thing similar about Charles and Stokes is their height and ability to rebound well.

Barkley was a great ball handler for his size and unreal athlete and jumper (at least with the Sixers)

Solid passer too

Barkley is probably the best single player to not have a ring. He had elite athleticism to go with his size, as well as above average ball handling (and down right great ball handling for his position.)

Stokes is probably a good step and a half slower than Barkley in his prime, and that might be being generous. And seeing as both are billed at around 255, that makes Stokes far less valuable.

Right now Stokes' ceiling is looking like a Chuck Hayes type, he is a former 6'6" reserve center who played the majority of his career with the Rockets

Right now Stokes' ceiling is looking like a Chuck Hayes type, he is a former 6'6" reserve center who played the majority of his career with the Rockets

That's the exact player(Chuck Hayes) I've been trying to compare Stokes to on these forums to people. His(Stokes) type play is very similar to his so why can't he make it for some NBA team just like Hayes did?

Randolph has 3 point range and strong mid range game. Barkley was really good at ball handling and took a lot of rebounds coast to coast.

Those are "skills".

The earlier poster was claiming Stokes didn't have the "physical build" to play in the NBA which is incorrect IMHO. While Stokes is 3-4 inches shorter than the typical NBA center, he's bull strong and much faster than most give him credit - he'd be a great NFL tight end prospect. It appears in the D league he's developed his shot more? He's one of those players who needs the right team where he fits their style of play.

What does Kendrick Perkins have that Stokes is lacking?

Reactions: 1 person
Those are "skills".

The earlier poster was claiming Stokes didn't have the "physical build" to play in the NBA which is incorrect IMHO. While Stokes is 3-4 inches shorter than the typical NBA center, he's bull strong and much faster than most give him credit - he'd be a great NFL tight end prospect. It appears in the D league he's developed his shot more? He's one of those players who needs the right team where he fits their style of play.

What does Kendrick Perkins have that Stokes is lacking?
Comedy... Lol

VN Store

Back