SEC East Championship Ring

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
My most recent addition

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: 2 people
Nice!..can't help but feel sorta bad when I see those for sale though..I'm sure they meant something to the players so they must have been down on their luck to have to sell them

Reactions: 1 person
Should be on the hand of the player who earned it. Hate seeing these end up as "collectibles". Would never be a prize in my collection.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm torn on whether it's better if CJ spent the few hundred dollars that he made selling it on hookers & blow or an organ transplant for somebody close to him. His VFL status is more tarnished with the former but I would be more saddened by the tragedy of the latter.

Hopefully he either gave the proceeds to his mother as a gift or bought his daughter a pretty prom dress.

Hopefully he either gave the proceeds to his mother as a gift or bought his daughter a pretty prom dress.
Yeah,that's what I hope he did with the proceeds. Myself, if i had the kind of money to buy this then, i would just buy it and then give back to him or his family. No, I wouldn't be giving him $ for blow or something if that's the case but, no way in hell this is a trophy for me. I care for our VFLs and other people to. I don't gain from others misfortune. Yeah, I know, "I don't know the whole story."

Yeah,that's what I hope he did with the proceeds. Myself, if i had the kind of money to buy this then, i would just buy it and then give back to him or his family. No, I wouldn't be giving him $ for blow or something if that's the case but, no way in hell this is a trophy for me. I care for our VFLs and other people to. I don't gain from others misfortune. Yeah, I know, "I don't know the whole story."

So he or his family could sell it again for more blow? Gotcha. Good Samaritan status achieved.

So he or his family could sell it again for more blow? Gotcha. Good Samaritan status achieved.

"No, I wouldn't be giving him $ for blow or something if that's the case but, no way in hell this is a trophy for me. "
And again I admit that I know nothing about the circumstances. I just don't see being proud of an item such as this. Yes, to each there own.

Last edited:
Nice!..can't help but feel sorta bad when I see those for sale though..I'm sure they meant something to the players so they must have been down on their luck to have to sell them

Black got one the following season also for the same thing - maybe it looks better than the one he sold - plus I think all UT Lettermen also get rings for that feat (being a letterman), he probably still has quite a few rings I would think

Last edited:
Black got one the following season also for the same thing - maybe it looks better than the one he sold - plus I think all UT Lettermen also get rings for that feat (being a letterman), he probably still has quite a few rings I would think

I have multiple championship rings

I wouldn't sell any of them under any circumstance for any amount of $

Sad thread here

Life happens..if you have a family you can't eat a championship ring but you can sell it to provide..that said, last article I saw about CJ he was doing OK and working locally in Loudon

At age 32, former Tennessee basketball standout C.J. Black is a decade older than most of the players he faces in the Rocky Top Summer League. So, what is he doing challenging a bunch of kids?

"Lying to myself," he said with a laugh. "Living a false dream."
Although he is no longer as quick or athletic as most of the summer league's younger players, Black competes reasonably well against them.

"I use a lot more technique," he explained. "Athleticism can only take you so far. If you're somebody with good technique who understands the game and what they're doing, you really don't have to use a lot of athleticism. You can have patience."

Black probably learned patience at Tennessee. After a heralded prep career at Chattanooga Brainerd High School, he played his freshman season of college ball for a Vol squad that limped home 11-16 in 1996-97.

Good times were on the horizon, however. Black helped lead the program to consecutive records of 20-9, 21-9 and 26-7 with three consecutive NCAA Tournament bids. The last squad set a program record for single-season victories and came within a whisker of advancing to the Elite Eight.

C.J. Black played a key role in that turnaround. The 6-8, 255-pounder departed ranked No. 1 on the school's all-time blocked-shots list, No. 9 on the all-time rebounding list and No. 16 on the all-time scoring list.

"My time at Tennessee was great," he recalled this week. "The main reason I came to UT was to make it a powerhouse like some of the other schools around the country. I grew up a Kansas Jayhawk fan, and I wanted Tennessee to be the same way. I think I accomplished that."

Indeed. Tennessee went 67-25 during his final three years on The Hill, then rode that momentum to a 22-11 record the year after he left. The program slipped a bit during Buzz Peterson's four-year run as head man but is experiencing unprecedented success under Bruce Pearl. The Vols are 126-46 the past five years, with five consecutive NCAA Tournament bids.

A decade removed from his college career, Black now works as a boiler engineer for Tate & Lyle's Loudon plant.

"We make 19 different products out of corn," he said.

Last edited:
Used to drink one a them corn products came outta that plant. Good stuff Dal.

Awesome YANK. Im happy for ya. As for those who say give it back to him after purchasing? Lol When Terrelle Pryor and the Buckeyes players got those Gold Pants for beating Michigan do you think he would keep them giving them back? He said ive already got others I dont need more so he sold them. Young people make dumb decisions so at least pay him for one like this. If you want to do something like give him the money and dont want it give the ring to his parents who probably would hold on to it longer or donate the ring to charity auction. Nothing bad can come out of that.

VN Store

Back