(Long) 3's, 4's or 5's??? A Tennessee Recruiting History Lesson?

TennaciousD957

I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Tennessee's 2016 class is six 3 star players. I like many people here are concerned about this class based on only having 3 star players, especially with looking at next season. This of course is assuming at this point we don't get a big man (Yurtseven). I decided to look back at the past recruiting classes by starts to see how Tennessee has fared in regards to stars beginning with the Pearl years. Specially on whether there was any impact the first year or 2, developed into an SEC player, or didn't cut it.

Rivals ratings were used.

3 star players ( b/c there were sooo many I broke them into categories)

No Impact at all
Marques Johnson - transfer and never heard from again
Daniel West - transfer and never heard from again
Dwight Miller - no impact at all
Ray Kasongo - enough has been said here, but possible transfer

Minimal Impact - Role player
Demontre Edwards - very minimal
Yemi Makanjoula - minimal then removed from program

Minimal Impact but could have developed into SEC player?
Quentin Chievous - transfer, has developed at Hampton
Wes Washpun - transfer, has developed at UNI
AJ Davis - transfer, has developed at UCF
Darius Thompson - transfer, appeared to have potential, but has not shown it yet at a stacked UVA
Willie Carmichael - transfer, had to play early - unknown on development but potential was there
Jabari McGhee - transfer, had to play early, unknown on development but potential was there, even more so than Carmichael IMO
Tariq Owens - transfer, had to play early, unknown on development but potential was there, even more so than Carmichael and McGhee IMO

Minimal Impact but has shown signs of being able to develop into SEC player?
Kyle Alexander - had to play early, but showed signs and has size of SEC player
Shembari Phillips - Towards end of the year showed flashes, will play a big role next year
Admiral Schofield - early in the year showed flashes, will play big role next year
Lamonte Turner - practice reports, but really unknown at this point

Impactful Player - SEC production, but had to develop
Brian Williams - Average SEC big man by Junior year
Melvin Goins - JUCO - took until second year, but solid SEC pg
Bobby Maze - JUCO - took until second year, but above avg SEC pg
Derek Reese - Below avg SEC big, but solid role player
Devon Baulkman - JUCO, took until second year, but SEC role player
Armani Moore - Classic developmental player, true SEC player
Josh Richardson - Classic developmental player, all SEC
Kevin Punter - JUCO, All SEC by second year

4 star players
Tyler Smith - Transfer, but instant SEC impact
Wayne Chism - Developmental player, but by Junior year full blown SEC player, Senior year borderline all SEC
Cameron Tatum - Developmental player, but by Junior year full blown SEC player.
Phillip Jurick - Transfer, borderline SEC level, mediocre at OK St.
Renaldo Woolridge - Not SEC level player
Kenny Hall - Borderline SEC level player, minimal role playing big man
Trae Golden - Instant Impact player, impactful all 3 years he played
Jordan Mcrae - Developmental player, but by Junior year full blown SEC player, Senior year borderline all SEC
Detrick Mostella - Developmental player, but by Sophomore year SEC player, Junior year will play a huge role

5 star Players
Duke Crews - instant impact
Ramar Smith - instant impact
Scotty Hopson - instant impact, but also had to develop
Tobias Harris - instant impact - only true one and done
Jarnell Stokes - instant impact, but also had to develop
Robert Hubbs - made first impact this year (junior), still needs to develop, but it legitimate SEC talent).

One thing that jumps out at me, is that even when things were going amazing with Pearl, we still brought in a lot of 3 star players. Many of the 3 star players turned into legitimate SEC players and actually very few of them were busts at the SEC level. In fact it would possible to argue that the 4 star group had an equal percentage of busts. IN addition the the 4 start group all had to develop to be impactful players, minus Tyler Smith who didn't start here, but played well as a Freshman at Iowa.

For comparison out of the 3 stars we got Melvin Goins, Bobby Maze, Armani Moore, Josh Richardson, Kevin Punter including a slew of guys that transferred that have become impactful at other places. Out of the 4 stars we got Chism, Tatum, Golden, and Mcrae with potential for Mostella. At least for Tennessee as a program regardless of coach, we got as many impactful players out of 3 stars as 4 stars.

Obviously the 5 stars are a different story as really none are busts from the standpoint of being SEC levels players. All except Hubbs made an immediate impact, but even the 5 stars (expect Tobias) had plenty of developing to do when they got here.

When I think about this years class combined with last years, I think that we have a ton of 3 star players. Barnes is loading up on the 3 looking for the 50% break point with at least half of these turning into legit SEC players. The other 50% based on history will likely not remain with UT for the duration of their careers. Also when it comes down to wringing our hands over 3 vs 4 star players, there does not appear to be nearly gap as there is between 4 and 5 star players.

As for next season, I am not as worried as I believe we have identified players on our team that will be impactful SEC players (Phillips, Schofield, Alexander, Mostella, Hubbs, Turner, and have a crop of 6 more 3 stars which likely will be at lest 3 more SEC players to the table). Of course as everyone has said the missing piece is the 5 star instant impact in the post........paging Omer...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Trae Golden - Instant Impact player, impactful all 3 years he played...really? All three years? hmmmm

Cam Tatum had all the talent needed to play in the SEC. You're probably right on the production. Agreed that his knees let him down completely. However, some of you guys are missing the point here a little bit. We could all argue each individual player and their merits or level of play. Everyone is entitled to your opinions on each player. I just wanted to look at the recent history of recruiting at Tennessee to see how far off Barnes first and second were.

Cam Tatum had all the talent needed to play in the SEC. You're probably right on the production. Agreed that his knees let him down completely. However, some of you guys are missing the point here a little bit. We could all argue each individual player and their merits or level of play. Everyone is entitled to your opinions on each player. I just wanted to look at the recent history of recruiting at Tennessee to see how far off Barnes first and second were.

We haven't been that successful with the way we have been recruiting except during the Pearl years.

Just a little differ point of view. I appreciate the write up. Nicely done

Cam Tatum was never a borderline All SEC player. He was mediocre at best.

Agreed on borderline All SEC(i am going to edit the post to reflect). My memory of him before the knees blurred reality. However, mediocre is a slight on his career.....from UTSPORTS:

Finished his career ranked second on Tennessee's all-time games played list (138), 10th on the school's list for 3-pointers made (155) and 41st on UT's career scoring list (1,083 points) ... Is just the eighth Vol ever to log at least 1,000 points, 400 rebounds and 200 assists in a career ... Ranked fifth on the team in scoring (8.1 ppg) and was second in assists (2.6 apg) and minutes played (29.1 mpg) .

The more I think about it, the less I am concerned about getting 6 3 stars this class. Many people are worried because if we don't have 4 stars than we have no one that can make a immediate impact next year. The truth is though that even the 4 stars have been developmental players. Having 3 stars or 4 stars for next year is not going to make a tone of difference as far as next years record. Adding a 5 star is really the only thing could drastically change next years outlook. Again Yurtseven is really the only game-changer out there for us.

Agreed on borderline All SEC(i am going to edit the post to reflect). My memory of him before the knees blurred reality. However, mediocre is a slight on his career.....from UTSPORTS:

Finished his career ranked second on Tennessee's all-time games played list (138), 10th on the school's list for 3-pointers made (155) and 41st on UT's career scoring list (1,083 points) ... Is just the eighth Vol ever to log at least 1,000 points, 400 rebounds and 200 assists in a career ... Ranked fifth on the team in scoring (8.1 ppg) and was second in assists (2.6 apg) and minutes played (29.1 mpg) .

He averaged 8.1 points as a senior as the only experienced player on the team. He shot a lot of threes and made less than 33%. He was barely mediocre.

Andre Patterson was a five star coming out of high school.

Developed a few

Recruited more

He's damned if he does or damned if he doesn't with you Bruin. Recruiting highly rated players doesn't always equate to being an AA anyways. PJ Tucker and Dj Augustin weren't even 5 stars. DJ was a 4 star that became a consensus first-team All-American, 9th draft pick and PJ Tucker was a 3 star that became a consensus second-team All-Americans.

He's damned if he does or damned if he doesn't with you Bruin. Recruiting highly rated players doesn't always equate to being an AA anyways. PJ Tucker and Dj Augustin weren't even 5 stars. DJ was a 4 star that became a consensus first-team All-American, 9th draft pick and PJ Tucker was a 3 star that became a consensus second-team All-Americans.
Dj has had a very good stretch it seems with the nuggets, for the ones who don't know, I'm a huge dj fan. Lol

VN Store

Back