We need to recruit Tee Higgins.

iKrager

He decommited from the TN Football on February 4th. I was reading the comments in his recruiting page, and it seems like the general idea was that Tee Higgins is looking for a place he can welcomely play both sports. There was an initial impression, that it may not be the case at Tennessee (though we have offered in basketball).

We need to recruit this kid, regardless of our current roster (as he would use a football scholarship most likely). We can't let a kid in our backyard go somewhere else.

The only other school to offer him in both sports currently is Auburn.

Higgins also claims scholarship offers in basketball from Tennessee and Auburn, among others. The standout guard and reigning PrepXtra Sophomore of the Year was named all-state and first-team All-PrepXtra. Higgins averaged 13.0 points per game and helped Oak Ridge reach the Class AAA basketball state tournament.

Was thinking this the other day. How is Higgins rated as a BBaller? I've followed a little on the football side, but as far as hoops idk. I do know we have an entire roster of 6-3 to 6-6 2s and 3s with a underdeveloped FR project 1 trying to compete in the SEC right now. Not sure how TH would fit in the future plans if he was SEC hoops quality.

Reactions: 1 person
And we are not recruiting Tee Higgins???? Where did you get that idea? The staff will continue to recruit him hard until the next NSD.

Higgins, Tee's son and our former QB commit for '17 are all thinking of committing to Clemson as a package from what is being posted.
We'll see next week when Amari Rodgers commits.

Higgins, Tee's son and our former QB commit for '17 are all thinking of committing to Clemson as a package from what is being posted.

I thought I saw a Clemson fan say that they only have a limited number of WR spots for this recruiting class and Higgins isn't in that discussion.

Butch was at Oak Ridge's BB game the other night. I'm sure it wasn't him just wanting to watch some hoops.

How can you even play both sports at the same time since they overlap? The first basketball game of the season was November 13th. We still had 3 more regular season games to play and 1 bowl game. By the time the bowl game was finished our basketball team had already played 11 or so games. On November 28th both teams played on the same day. Would they have to choose which team they played for that day? Sorry just confused on how you could play both? I'm guessing that's why it's so rare, when there are several athletes that are capable of playing both.

How can you even play both sports at the same time since they overlap? The first basketball game of the season was November 13th. We still had 3 more regular season games to play and 1 bowl game. By the time the bowl game was finished our basketball team had already played 11 or so games. On November 28th both teams played on the same day. Would they have to choose which team they played for that day? Sorry just confused on how you could play both? I'm guessing that's why it's so rare, when there are several athletes that are capable of playing both.

Ellington from SCjr is the last guy I remember doing it, at this level. Iirc his sr year their football team played in a New Years Day bowl(or around that time) and he didn't start play with the bball team til football was over. So they basically got him for 2 months. And it took him til mid Feb to become a solid contributor. It only happens now days if the player is more talented in football but still wants to play bball. I gotta believe if the player is more talented at bball, he isn't going to chance having to wait until Jan to start playing. Jmo

The most recent example of a player playing both sports is Bruce Ellington at South Carolina. Played 3 seasons of both football and basketball, but IIRC he would join the basketball team when football was over. Bruce Ellington is now an NFL WR.

It can definitely be done, but both coaching staffs have to be willing to share the player and avoid being selfish over possibly injuries. I honestly don't think most people could do basketball/football. In Bruce's case, his frame was built so he could easily transition from wr to PG.

The case with Isaiah Stokes, is its either being an OL/DL or being a basketball player, due to the workout differences and body frame required for each sport. Its simply not possibly for most big men.

The case with Isaiah Stokes, is its either being an OL/DL or being a basketball player, due to the workout differences and body frame required for each sport. Its simply not possibly for most big men.

Agree. Julius Peppers was a freak of nature.

Also, South Carolina has a tight end in the 2016 class who got invited to join the basketball team as well. Read more here

And we are not recruiting Tee Higgins???? Where did you get that idea? The staff will continue to recruit him hard until the next NSD.

Butch Jones is still recruiting him, but there were comments made that made the situation sound like Jones only wanted Higgins to play football.

I feel like if Barnes was serious about recruiting Higgins, he would AT least drive 20 minutes to Oak Ridge to watch Higgins play basketball. Its something I feel like Barnes is missing - that fire to recruit at any chance he gets. I can definitely be wrong but it doesn't seem like we are pursuing him as hard as we should.

Last edited:
I wonder how Ron Widby handled it in the 1960s? Less overlap I suppose plus being a punter may not have been that demanding. He also played baseball and was a UT golfer. Busy guy.

I think the headline said he reopened his commitment. Maybe he's just a drama queen and wants more attention. When we recruit someone and they commit to us... that should be it. Only things that might change their mind is an NCAA probe or coach gets fired. We shouldn't have to keep kissing their butt until signing day. You say your committed.. keep your word.

I think the headline said he reopened his commitment. Maybe he's just a drama queen and wants more attention. When we recruit someone and they commit to us... that should be it. Only things that might change their mind is an NCAA probe or coach gets fired. We shouldn't have to keep kissing their butt until signing day. You say your committed.. keep your word.

Schools and coaches take back their offers though. Goes both ways.

Kids that haven't even finished their Junior year in HS should never " commit" to any school

VN Store

Back