The "Rick Barnes can't win unless he has more talent" Post Game Thread

CAVol

Great win and comeback by the guys! I was at the game and here's a few things I noticed...

1) Our best lineup last night was Punter, Armani, Shembari, Admiral, and Detrick. That was the lineup that made the run to cut the 21 point lead. It's a small lineup but it worked. I like it.

2) Shembari and Detrick played fantastic on ball defense last night. Helpside is still a work in progress and one of them got caught on a back screen and didn't help on Poythress when he posted. Other than a few mishaps, it was a great defensive effort from those two. Baulkman couldn't guard Murray at all and when Shembari was on him he limited him really well.

3) Kentucky fans are gonna complain about the refs (ironic imo) but there were some bad calls both ways IMO. Admiral was nowhere close to out when he tried to save that ball at the end and Ulis was clearly on the line when he passed to Murray in the corner for the three with under a minute to go. Likewise, there was a phantom block call on an Armani drive and we got away with a few shoves on drives. Poorly officiated game that affected both teams equally IMO.

4) Free throws, free throws, free throws. We made them and it was the difference. Big free throws down the stretch to close it out by Hubbs.

5) Detrick will be the leading scorer next year. Not a knock on Hubbs, I just think Detrick has that desire and killer instinct necessary to lead a team. Not to mention he will continue to improve on an already above average offensive game. He made some really tough shots yesterday and played a solid defensive game.

6) Armani had the quietest 18-13 game I've ever seen. He had some really bad turnovers but overall played a good game. When he attacks and makes good decisions he's a very good player.

7) Where is Kentucky's bball IQ? At one point in the second half we ran the same set 5 or 6 times in a row and got fouled or an open shot every time. I was about to pull my hair out because I figured eventually Kentucky would adjust but they didn't. Not to mention we ran the same out of bounds play multiple times to get Punter a corner three and it worked every time. Kudos to Barnes for finding something that worked and sticking to it.

8) Skal is incredibly overrated IMO. He needs to stay another year to develop but won't. You could have put him in a UT jersey and Alexander in a KY jersey and not been able to tell the difference last night. Other than his 3 blocks, the two had an almost identical stat line.

9) Can't have a post game report that doesn't mention Punter. What a leader, what a scorer, and what an improvement he's made from last year to this year. Just can't be said enough. 27 points and only 2 turnovers when KY pressured him the entire game. Fantastic.

Go vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Great win and comeback by the guys! I was at the game and here's a few things I noticed...

1) Our best lineup last night was Punter, Armani, Shembari, Admiral, and Detrick. That was the lineup that made the run to cut the 21 point lead. It's a small lineup but it worked. I like it.

2) Shembari and Detrick played fantastic on ball defense last night. Helpside is still a work in progress and one of them got caught on a back screen and didn't help on Poythress when he posted. Other than a few mishaps, it was a great defensive effort from those two. Baulkman couldn't guard Murray at all and when Shembari was on him he limited him really well.

3) Kentucky fans are gonna complain about the refs (ironic imo) but there were some bad calls both ways IMO. Admiral was nowhere close to out when he tried to save that ball at the end and Ulis was clearly on the line when he passed to Murray in the corner for the three with under a minute to go. Likewise, there was a phantom block call on an Armani drive and we got away with a few shoves on drives. Poorly officiated game that affected both teams equally IMO.

4) Free throws, free throws, free throws. We made them and it was the difference. Big free throws down the stretch to close it out by Hubbs.

5) Detrick will be the leading scorer next year. Not a knock on Hubbs, I just think Detrick has that desire and killer instinct necessary to lead a team. Not to mention he will continue to improve on an already above average offensive game. He made some really tough shots yesterday and played a solid defensive game.

6) Armani had the quietest 18-13 game I've ever seen. He had some really bad turnovers but overall played a good game. When he attacks and makes good decisions he's a very good player.

7) Where is Kentucky's bball IQ? At one point in the second half we ran the same set 5 or 6 times in a row and got fouled or an open shot every time. I was about to pull my hair out because I figured eventually Kentucky would adjust but they didn't. Kudos to Barnes for finding something that worked and sticking to it.

8) Skal is incredibly overrated IMO. He needs to stay another year to develop but won't. You could have put him in a UT jersey and Alexander in a KY jersey and not been able to tell the difference last night. Other than his 3 blocks, the two had an almost identical stat line.

9) Can't have a post game report that doesn't mention Punter. What a leader, what a scorer, and what an improvement he's made from last year to this year. Just can't be said enough. 27 points and only 2 turnovers when KY pressured him the entire game. Fantastic.

Go vols!
That floater he hit was money.

I've been really impressed with Phillips the past couple of games. I agree with you on Mostella being the leader and the leading scorer next year. He has the fire that Punter, Richardson, and JMac all had.

Punter
Mostella
Phillips
Admiral
Moore

Should be our starting lineup going forward. Those 5 played really well together. Moore and Admiral are undersized but man can they get some boards. Hubbs plays a little better off the bench.

Rick would have more Ws, and fewer of those heartbreaking losses, if he had more height on the team, though.
But, no one can coach a 6'4"/6'5" player to a height of 6'9".

Rick would have more Ws, and fewer of those heartbreaking losses, if he had more height on the team, though.
But, no one can coach a 6'4"/6'5" player to a height of 6'9".

Get them some of those
Moon jumper shoes. Lol

Give Coach Barnes a ten year extension! Outstanding I say!!!!! Absolutely, outstanding!

I am sad today. Sitting here in my Big Orange shirt at work and nobody wants to talk basketball. hmmmmmmmmm

Our power went off for a few minutes and when I got the game back on, we were into our run in the first half after being down 21. Maybe that lightning strike was divine intervention..... :)

Excellent post game write up CA

Punter
Mostella
Phillips
Admiral
Moore

Should be our starting lineup going forward. Those 5 played really well together. Moore and Admiral are undersized but man can they get some boards. Hubbs plays a little better off the bench.

I'm one of the worst at wanting to talk starting lineups, but I'm starting to become of the it's not who starts its who "plays/finishes" that matters.

There's no doubt in my mind Punter/Moore/Mostella/Schofield/Hubbs/Alexander/Phillips are your best 7, but I get why Baulkman gets starts and also Reese. You don't want the younger guys too amped, foul trouble has been an issue for some of them, and seeing how the game unfolds has helped them some off the bench. Baulkman has started the last 2 games but has very few total minutes in comparison, Reese was the same for awhile, but I agree no doubt those 7 need the majority of minutes.

Punter 37
Moore 35
Mostella 25
Schofield 25
Hubbs 25
Phillips 23
Alexander 15
Baulkman 10
Reese 5

While many doubted if the small lineup could compete on the boards in the SEC IMO they've absolutely proven they have, kudos to the guys.

Last edited:
I thought the only way he could win is if he wore the orange coat.
No one said that, and it wasn't said by CA. No need to post that here.

Anyways. Good post CA. I figured Ulis was going to go off on Punter, but Punter held his own. I remember last year when we played Kentucky, Punter would try to bring the ball up when we were resting Richardson and looked totally lost in the pressure. What a difference a year makes.

That move Shembarri made last night on Briscoe was amazing. Shem is a player.

Reactions: 1 person
No one said that, and it wasn't said by CA. No need to post that here.

Anyways. Good post CA. I figured Ulis was going to go off on Punter, but Punter held his own. I remember last year when we played Kentucky, Punter would try to bring the ball up when we were resting Richardson and looked totally lost in the pressure. What a difference a year makes.

That move Shembarri made last night on Briscoe was amazing. Shem is a player.

That move by Shembari was sick. Completely forgot about it til now. Mostella's hang time layup was nice as well.

We mixed in some zone a few times in the first half which helped save Punter's legs from chasing Ulis around. Also, they put Detrick on Ulis in the second half a bit and let Punter guard Briscoe.

Barnes post game raved on Mostella, said he did something he never thought he'd hear him say in his life, when I believe it was Moore picked up his 4th foul and had been guarding Murray, Mostella went to Barnes and said let me guard him for a bit...Barnes said he never thought he'd hear Mostella ASK to guard anyone, just a positive sign on the development for Detrick.

Reactions: 3 people
That move by Shembari was sick. Completely forgot about it til now. Mostella's hang time layup was nice as well.

We mixed in some zone a few times in the first half which helped save Punter's legs from chasing Ulis around. Also, they put Detrick on Ulis in the second half a bit and let Punter guard Briscoe.

I can't tell, I've watched it a couple of times, was it an in and out, or sham god?

"Ulis was clearly on the line when he passed to Murray in the corner for the three with under a minute to go."

Actually, before he ever stepped on the line, he took 3 steps before throwing the ball and right in the refs face too. They showed the replay 3 or 4 times and every time I was counting steps... 1..2..3..(steps on line)..pass. It was even beyond a Euro step.

7) Where is Kentucky's bball IQ? At one point in the second half we ran the same set 5 or 6 times in a row and got fouled or an open shot every time. I was about to pull my hair out because I figured eventually Kentucky would adjust but they didn't. Not to mention we ran the same out of bounds play multiple times to get Punter a corner three and it worked every time. Kudos to Barnes for finding something that worked and sticking to it.

Go vols!

Great post CA. #6 is on point. Armani makes some of the absolute dumbest decisions and then follows it up with a play that makes you wonder how the same person is capable of making such a fantastic play. His no-look bounce pass to Hubbs (I think) in the lane was a thing of beauty. Might have beem Admiral, can't remember.

Punter's entire game, shot, handle, decision-making, has done a total 180. That guy has made the most improvement from one year to the next in as long as I can remember, dating back to Marcus Haislip maybe.

Great point on Skal and Alexander. Skal is an unintimidating stick figure.

Loved Detrick and Shembari's play and grit. Those guys are ball players. If Detrick can improve defensively to play like that consistently, he'll be a force.

Going by the OP thread title "Rick Barnes can't win unless he has more talent". Isn't this really the case for most/lot of coaches in D1 basketball? I don't care how good of a coach that you are you must have some talent to go with it right? Seriously too! :eek:

VN Store

Back