Coach Barnes time on rocky top

Volunteer country

Alright guys serious question here and was wanting some thoughts on this? How long do you think Coach Barnes will be here before we are looking for a new coach?

Like I have said before Barnes is not use to having to actually coach guys, at Texas he had the talent to let the, go out and play and not be a "joystick" coach. In order to be a great coach you have to be a good in game coach which he is not. If he was he would still be at Texas.

He is a good coach but not great. I believe he is a good man and I respect him and his success. I honestly do not see him being here to long, we will either run him off or run him into retirement.

I'd say no longer than 4 years what do you guys think?

Reactions: 3 people
3-5 years

Hoping for 3

I don't think Barnes was hired to be here more than 3-5 years anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If he doesn't improve his recruiting, I don't see the Vols rising above middle-of-the-pack in the SEC during his tenure. If he can ramp up the level of talent he's bringing in, though, he may be around longer than it looks right now.

...it's his first year, guys. I get it, 2 horrible 2nd half collapses, but we've got a mediocre roster with no real talent on the post. Coach Barnes is a hall of famer, just give it time.

PLEASE don't do this again, guys. We do this with every coach with every sport. Come on now.

Reactions: 19 people
3 is what I'm hoping for too, we need a more energetic and firery coach on the sideline. Need someone who gets the crowd envolved and gives them what they want! Lol

Just win. You don't need a Bruce Pearl as long as you just win.

Rick Barnes has proven that he is a winner. If we are talking about running him off less than a year in, then we have issues. He needs time to bring in some players. He may not be the best in-game coach, but neither is John Calipari. If our fans don't want to be patient with him with this roster, then I can't help you.

Reactions: 7 people
If he doesn't improve his recruiting, I don't see the Vols rising above middle-of-the-pack in the SEC during his tenure. If he can ramp up the level of talent he's bringing in, though, he may be around longer than it looks right now.

Yeah I agree. I am just not sure how motivated he really is, dude could retire anytime he wanted to.

...it's his first year, guys. I get it, 2 horrible 2nd half collapses, but we've got a mediocre roster with no real talent on the post. Coach Barnes is a hall of famer, just give it time.

PLEASE don't do this again, guys. We do this with every coach with every sport. Come on now.

This guy wasn't brought here for the long haul IMO. That's why I see this as a fair question

My response of 3-5 years wasn't based on him being flat out fired

Just win. You don't need a Bruce Pearl as long as you just win.

Rick Barnes has proven that he is a winner. If we are talking about running him off less than a year in, then we have issues. He needs time to bring in some players. He may not be the best in-game coach, but neither is John Calipari. If our fans don't want to be patient with him with this roster, then I can't help you.

Yeah I agree, I believe a basketball coach needs at least 4 years to get a fair shot, but unfortunately that's not how it works anymore.

I am not trying to run him off or try to push for that at all. He believe he should get a fair chance, but was just wondering because I do not think it will be to long. He could retire at anytime and if does not see things getting better anytime soon that could happen sooner rather then later.

We are going to be very athletic next year. But the guys will be young and will still have trouble closing out games. Just growing pains next year. I hope the fans can remain patient because I truly believe he is bringing in good talent.

Reactions: 2 people
Really? You are speculating on his time here due to 8 months of evidence? He inherited a team similar to what CBJ did in football and you are criticizing the performance? He has been outmanned by 75% of the opponents and they are 10-11 on the season! He is a great coach with 2* players and no legitimate big men. Give him 3 years and they will be #2 in the SEC.

GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: 6 people
I am not trying to run him off or try to push for that at all. He believe he should get a fair chance, but was just wondering because I do not think it will be to long. He could retire at anytime and if does not see things getting better anytime soon that could happen sooner rather then later.

Year 3. We will have 2 true point guards as sophomores along with the wings, and Akexander and Schofield will be juniors.

Really? You are speculating on his time here due to 8 months of evidence? He inherited a team similar to what CBJ did in football and you are criticizing the performance? He has been outmanned by 75% of the opponents and they are 10-11 on the season! He is a great coach with 2* players and no legitimate big men. Give him 3 years and they will be #2 in the SEC.

GO VOLS!!!

I sure hope so! I am ready for Tennessee Basketball to be relevant again!

I'm thinking we should keep him to stabilize a bit, and after about 3 years start looking around. If a younger energetic guy is available and is a fit, we should go that route

For those doubting Barnes, let's go over what he currently has to work with:
1. No true point guard
2. No big man that can score on the low block
3. Little quality depth
4. Very little basketball IQ, something that can't be taught

Its amazing that so many of you expect him to lead the worst Vol hoops roster since the Wade Houston days to a successful season. Barnes inherited an AWFUL situation. Give him a fair chance to fix it.

Amen. Mediocre is a polite way to describe the roster, honestly.

For those doubting Barnes, let's go over what he currently has to work with:
1. No true point guard
2. No big man that can score on the low block
3. Little quality depth
4. Very little basketball IQ, something that can't be taught

Its amazing that so many of you expect him to lead the worst Vol hoops roster since the Wade Houston days to a successful season. Barnes inherited an AWFUL situation. Give him a fair chance to fix it.

I always knew this year was going to be a nightmare. I agree he does not have much to work with. But what bugs me is how little energy our team plays with sometimes and not knowing what to do when something goes wrong. That is on the staff. I believe he deserves at least 4 years, but if this kind of work ethic and no emotion continues to go on then something is wrong

I say if he misses the tournament this year we fire him and then hire our 4th coach in four years, and then if that coach doesn't reach the tournament in his first year fire him too until one does :crazy:

#chill

What?? This guy needs a minimum of three years before this silly conversation even comes up. For crying out loud...Cuonzo didn't even recruit his last year here, Tyndell had half a class, and Barnes is supposed to do somethiing with that?

Give him a couple more years and IF his health holds up, we'll have a much better team. Good recruiter, great teacher, very good game day coach. He needs to be able to season a team that meets his specs.

VN Store

Back