We served a 4 yr "death penalty" in football

wmcovol

And it appears we might be in yr 2 of a similar run in hoops. Vols just don't have the players to complete a team. I'm not trashing our current kids, they are too many playing out of position, lack size to do effectively what they are being asked to do, etc.

I will continue to watch and support (play of attending the LSU game) but this is a roster problem that will take some time. Hopefully the PG issue will be corrected next yr and the inside game will come around in another yr or two.

Reactions: 1 person
Lots of frustrated fans. It's a really hard time trying to be supportive. We just got to hang in there. And then when the good times start coming around. So will the excitement. Just look at football.

And it appears we might be in yr 2 of a similar run in hoops. Vols just don't have the players to complete a team. I'm not trashing our current kids, they are too many playing out of position, lack size to do effectively what they are being asked to do, etc.

I will continue to watch and support (play of attending the LSU game) but this is a roster problem that will take some time. Hopefully the PG issue will be corrected next yr and the inside game will come around in another yr or two.

Give this man a cookie.

Not sure where you came up with "year 2" we are certainly in year 1. Anyone knows this is a 3 or 4 year rebuild. Same as football was. Normally it doesn't take that long to rebuild a basketball program but we are in a very different situation. 3 coaches in 3 years. Can't remember the last time another program went through that?

Barnes focused on Guards and 3/4"s in next years class and will need to get us a nice top 50 post in 2017's class and really develop Alexander. The first time we can say this in a really long time but we are finally set at the point guard spot for 3-4 years.

Not sure where you came up with "year 2" we are certainly in year 1. Anyone knows this is a 3 or 4 year rebuild. Same as football was. Normally it doesn't take that long to rebuild a basketball program but we are in a very different situation. 3 coaches in 3 years. Can't remember the last time another program went through that?

Well, last yr was .500 so if that's you goal I guess we're in yr 1. Frankly if you don't make NCAA to me, you're building, rebuilding or something. But you're not where u should be. Jmo.

Our team looks like 5 shooting guards out there around the arc. Undermanned from a position standpoint. Hope he develops Alexander a lot more going fwd. We'll need him next year.

Well, last yr was .500 so if that's you goal I guess we're in yr 1. Frankly if you don't make NCAA to me, you're building, rebuilding or something. But you're not where u should be. Jmo.

Yeah but we have a different coach than last year?

This is why I don't understand why so many people are on here bashing Coach Barnes. Look at the roster he was given to work with. You can see where he has made improvement. Look at how much he improved Punter's shot and overall game. I am just as frustrated with the 2nd half debacles as the next person, but CRB has still prbably gotten this group to over achieve. I mean we were picked 13th out of 14 teams in the SEC. It's not like he has taken a team ranked 4th in the country in the preseason and made them horrible. That distinction goes to our other basketball coach. (But I won't go there)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Well, I didn't say we had the same coach. We had Dools for 3 and CBJ for 1 yr of the football version.

Dooley left CBJ with more talent than what Martin and Tyndall did and that's saying a lot because Dooley didn't recruit a single offensive lineman in 2012.

Basketball is WAY easier to turn around quickly. With 1 or 2 recruits, you can make your team great. It takes much longer to flip a roster in football because of the numbers. Basketball can turn around quickly with one great recruiting class.

We can borrow a page from football and call this year "zero"

It's going to take at least until year 3 for this team to compete for anything. Hoops rosters can be rebuilt fairly quickly. We'll see if Barnes is up to the task or on the road to his farewell tour.

Last edited:

It takes a full year for a coach to really make an impact through recruiting. Of the thirteen players on the roster, seven are new to the program. And the other six were recruited by two other coaching staffs, 3 by Martin, and 3 by Tyndall.

If any basketball coach/staff/program deserved a year zero, this might be it. Personally, considering the situations with both hoops programs, I am half wondering when they move games into the old gym next to Neyland Stadium, and lease out TBA to the Ice Bears. If things stay on their current course, that move might be more profitable.

Oh wait, they are still hung up on selling beer there. Sober hockey fans? Oh, HELL no.

Kind of funny when you stand back and look at it. I could take the word "football" and insert it everywhere I see the word "basketball" in this thread and it looks like every football thread for the last 10 years. Still think UT should have taken a better look at archie miller. I think Barnes is going to wind up getting us in trouble in recruiting. The writing is on the wall IMO.

Kind of funny when you stand back and look at it. I could take the word "football" and insert it everywhere I see the word "basketball" in this thread and it looks like every football thread for the last 10 years. Still think UT should have taken a better look at archie miller. I think Barnes is going to wind up getting us in trouble in recruiting. The writing is on the wall IMO.

What writing on what wall? What history of recruiting violations does he have? Which surprise 5 star players just signed with us? Proof?

VN Store

Back