Listened to Tyndall on Neuheisel show today

ZZ13

Saturn V
Donnie Tyndall was a guest this morning on Neuheisel's Sirius show. Purpose of having him was to convey his experience in suddenly getting fired by Hart. Here are the cliff notes as best I can remember (was in the middle of a 400 mile drive):

- said 99% of what has been written by the media is false. He called it "dead wrong"

- said Hart told him during the firing meeting that he was a perfect fit for Tennessee

- said Hart felt he had no choice but to fire him based on what the NCAA was telling Hart. He the said its now being found that what Hart was told was "not correct"

- said lack of equity at Tennessee (10 months) was a key factor. Larry Brown and Jim Boeheim were used as examples where equity and long term relationships with AD and university allowed the university to stand by the coach

- Neuheisel gave him advice on how to move forward based on his Washington firing. Tyndall appreciated it and said he's looking for any advice he can get right now

- Said he can't say much until the hearing is over in a few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Pro advice : stop cheating

That won't happen anywhere. Most everyone does it. You just can't do it in a way to get caught.

I agree with him about the long tenured coaches. They either had a strong administration, or the NCAA has a different set of standards.

Don't care to rehash Tyndall as a coach, but the fact that Boeheim, Brown, and Haith are still coaching while Pearl got a 3 year show cause and Tyndall is out just amazes me. So hypocritical.

Reactions: 5 people
When the NCAA comes out and backs up what Tyndall is saying, then I'll believe him. Until then, I'm not believing a word he says about it.

Reactions: 9 people
When the NCAA comes out and backs up what Tyndall is saying, then I'll believe him. Until then, I'm not believing a word he says about it.

Tyndall had everyone either helping him cover up his knowledge or he really didn't know. I would bet my ass he knew

Then at the last minute one witness flipped on him. Not sure why but one of his assistants finally flipped and told the NCAA CDT was indeed behind it all. This happened just a few days before he was fired. If you recall hart was going to stand my him but the former assistant flipping is what changed the game.

Tyndall thinks all the others saying he didn't have knowledge is going to Save him. IMO that isn't going to be the case

Donnie Tyndall was a guest this morning on Neuheisel's Sirius show. Purpose of having him was to convey his experience in suddenly getting fired by Hart. Here are the cliff notes as best I can remember (was in the middle of a 400 mile drive):

- said 99% of what has been written by the media is false. He called it "dead wrong"

- said Hart told him during the firing meeting that he was a perfect fit for Tennessee
- said Hart felt he had no choice but to fire him based on what the NCAA was telling Hart. He the said its now being found that what Hart was told was "not correct"

- said lack of equity at Tennessee (10 months) was a key factor. Larry Brown and Jim Boeheim were used as examples where equity and long term relationships with AD and university allowed the university to stand by the coach

- Neuheisel gave him advice on how to move forward based on his Washington firing. Tyndall appreciated it and said he's looking for any advice he can get right now

- Said he can't say much until the hearing is over in a few months.

Tyndall was the closest in coaching style to Ray Mears of any coach that was here that I can remember. Kevin O'Neill and Don DeVoe were close behind.

That won't happen anywhere. Most everyone does it. You just can't do it in a way to get caught.

I agree with him about the long tenured coaches. They either had a strong administration, or the NCAA has a different set of standards.

Don't care to rehash Tyndall as a coach, but the fact that Boeheim, Brown, and Haith are still coaching while Pearl got a 3 year show cause and Tyndall is out just amazes me. So hypocritical.

Add in Roy Williams and Rick Pitino to that statement.

Reactions: 3 people
Tyndall was the closest in coaching style to Ray Mears of any coach that was here that I can remember. Kevin O'Neill and Don DeVoe were close behind.

What??!! Don DeVoe was the antithesis of Ray Mears. Taciturn; just wanted to coach basketball not promote; hated recruiting. He was more like Joe Friday than Ray Mears. I always thought he and Cuonzo Martin were cut from the same cloth (from public persona standpoint, not coaching ability).

Reactions: 3 people
What??!! Don DeVoe was the antithesis of Ray Mears. Taciturn; just wanted to coach basketball not promote; hated recruiting. He was more like Joe Friday than Ray Mears. I always thought he and Cuonzo Martin were cut from the same cloth (from public persona standpoint, not coaching ability).

I knew SD had little basketball knowledge, but saying DeVoe and O'Neil were close to being like Mears just took it to another level.

Reactions: 2 people

Yeah I thought the same thing!

They both wanted to coach bb and each sought discipline from their players to the task that they were given. DeVoe also recruited fairly good by getting Dale Ellis, Tony White, Dyron Nix, etc. What hurt him at UT was the project that he pushed for was so sloppily handled. He only coached there for 1 year and the recruits that he left Houston were by far better than Wade left O'Neill.

He served as an interim coach at Fl. for one year before heading to The USNA where he coached David Robinson and became one of the best coaches in Navy history.

O'Neill did the best he could do for 2 years before leaving the best talent for Jerry Green to waste and Tyndall received almost as bad a situation that Kevin received, but was still able to win 16 games. 16 wins may be a pipe dream for Barnes to reach this year.

All 4 coaches sent at least one player into the pro ranks.

vsf knows zero about bb in my opinion. Socrates must have been speaking of him when he said, "after the debate is lost then slander becomes the weapon of the loser".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back