Bernard King #54 on ESPN's All-Time NBA Rankings

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Position
Small forward

Teams
New Jersey Nets (1977-1979), Utah Jazz (1979-80), Golden State Warriors (1980-1982), New York Knicks (1982-87), Washington Bullets (1987-1991), New Jersey Nets (1992-93), missed 1985-86 and 1991-92 seasons to injury

Honors
Four-time All-Star, four-time All-NBA selection, NBA Comeback Player of the Year (1981), scoring champion (1984-85)

Championships
None

Career stats
22.5 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 3.3 APG, .518 FG%

Did you know?
King won the scoring title in 1984-85 while averaging 32.9 points per game. He remains the only player in Knicks history to average 30 points for an entire season. -- ESPN Stats & Info

Attachments

• i52O1LWK4.jpg
    i52O1LWK4.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 3 people
Position
Small forward

Teams
New Jersey Nets (1977-1979), Utah Jazz (1979-80), Golden State Warriors (1980-1982), New York Knicks (1982-87), Washington Bullets (1987-1991), New Jersey Nets (1992-93), missed 1985-86 and 1991-92 seasons to injury

Honors
Four-time All-Star, four-time All-NBA selection, NBA Comeback Player of the Year (1981), scoring champion (1984-85)

Championships
None

Career stats
22.5 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 3.3 APG, .518 FG%

Did you know?
King won the scoring title in 1984-85 while averaging 32.9 points per game. He remains the only player in Knicks history to average 30 points for an entire season. -- ESPN Stats & Info

Without his knee injuries he would be top ten... possibly top 5.

Reactions: 3 people
Without his knee injuries he would be top ten... possibly top 5.

Probably so. What a player.

But, to think about it. Players like him that play with such, should I say aggression and passion, it's amazing that he was not injured more.

Kinda like how Maggitt has been injured so much. Then you watch how he plays and you go ... "it's amazing he's lasted this long".

Amazing explosive moves to the basket, especially from the left wing. Quickest release under the basket that I've ever seen. Although he wasn't known as an outside shooter, he could still fill it up from the perimeter if not guarded. Then when he was guarded on the perimeter, he'd blow right by the defender.

He was a tenacious defender and rebounder as well. There's never been a player like him.

Very underrated. Far better than Barkley or Wilkins just not as dramatic or media friendly.

Reactions: 1 person
#54 is a bit low, but he missed several of his prime years with the torn up knees.

I wonder how high they rate Jim Brown? He only played a few years and quickly retired as the GOAT.

Amazing explosive moves to the basket, especially from the left wing. Quickest release under the basket that I've ever seen. Although he wasn't known as an outside shooter, he could still fill it up from the perimeter if not guarded. Then when he was guarded on the perimeter, he'd blow right by the defender.

He was a tenacious defender and rebounder as well. There's never been a player like him.

My favorite memories of UT basketball as a teenager were going to Stokely and watching Ernie and Bernie. You are right on about his quick release. He was so smooth too. Best basketball player by far to ever wear the orange and arguably the best ever to play in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe not winning a title hurts him. Also never got a ton of media attention. Still an outstanding player.

Maybe not winning a title hurts him. Also never got a ton of media attention. Still an outstanding player.

He won the scoring title just before the NBA surged in popularity. He would have been mentioned in the same conversations as Magic, Bird, and Jordan had he stayed healthy. Being on a better team would have helped. I think that he had moved on by the time that Patrick Ewing was drafted. Those two playing together would have made the Knicks a contender.

#54 is way too low, even with the knee injury. Top 20 definitely.

They should have at least moved him up a spot to match his UT number.

Cool story... I was behind him in line in at a Knoxville fast food restaurant several years ago. He was then sitting by himself eating so I walked over and quietly asked, "hey, aren't you number 53?". He lit up with a huge smile, raised up his fist, nodded yes, and 'tater bumped me.

I'm not a basketball head. Taking my Vol colored glasses off for just a moment. I can't name fifty-three players better than Bernard King. Injuries or not. GBO

54??????

I grew up in NOVA and watched him several times with the old Bullets. He couldn't be stopped then! And that was at the END of his career.

At VERY least... Top 25 player of all time.

VN Store

Back