I'm starting to feel like

CamVol8

Robert Hubbs is a complete bust. Regardless of the 13 points he had tonight, he is the one guy on this team who had all the hype when we recruited him. 5 star shooting guard who didn't do anything his freshman year, struggled in his sophomore year, and I think he's averaging around 12 points this year which IMO does not tell the story of how awful he has been playing. His 3 point % has gone down since last year and he usually can't do much on the offensive end except make the occasional mid range jumper. I could go on and on but the point is I'm just really disappointed in the way he's developed. Thought he would be a star at Tennessee...guess I was wrong.

Reactions: 1 person
Hes not as advertised but Punter having an off game and Mostella and Baulkman being ice cold lost us this game not Hubbs.

guys relax...it's basketball. Seasons like this are normal and we will get back to mediocre or above average again. Go vols.

To me... this team does not play quality D... it showed big time tonight. So that is not just on Hubbs.

If there were ever a time for Robert Hubbs to assert his presence in a game, it was tonight in Tuscaloosa.

With Avery literally sicking two dogs on KP every time he crossed half court, we just needed someone, hell anyone, to step up, show confidence in possession and hit an occasional shot.

At a point, it may be wise for us to move on from the notion that Hubbs will be anything more than a bit player for Tennessee.

I keep holding out hope that he can develop into a Hopson-lite and provide 15-17 points a night, but if he couldn't provide a desperately-needed presence against a really, really bad Alabama team, there's little reason to think he will figure it out.

What we see may be all we'll get from Robert Hubbs. Which is tragic considering he's more talented than any of those other scrubs both teams trotted out there tonight. :disappointed:

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah, he just doesn't have the attacking mentality. He is incredibly good at finishing around the rim and his athleticism is top of the SEC quality, yet he rarely ever attacks the basket.

It's unfortunate because he has the skills to be one of the best in the SEC, but he just doesn't have the attack mindset, like a Punter, McRae, Rich. The guys that we've seen step up and lead teams. People keep mentioning him as being the "guy" next year, but there's just no chance. He's showed nothing of being a leader.

And of course his shooting has gone to complete ****, so who even know about that.

He's a fine player and would make a superb role player on a good team, but that seems to be his ceiling.

And I'm sure people will come in and say things like McRae, Hop, Rich, Punter didn't score much early in their career but stepped up. That's true, but they also showed a lot more potential than Hubbs does at this point. They just had to put a couple of things together and then they were bonafide leaders. Hubbs? He shows nothing of a leader.

Last edited:
It's like he lacks confidence completely and always seems afraid...idk maybe I'm just reading into it too much

nope, that pretty much sums him up. Which makes no sense because he is great at finishing around the rim and his athleticism allows him to get there. But he just won't do it.

Hes not as advertised but Punter having an off game and Mostella and Baulkman being ice cold lost us this game not Hubbs.

We run hot and cold. Have all year. Dismal on the road. Folks should have seen this one coming especially at bama. We never win there. Annual loss like UF in football. Won't believe it until I see it.

Ordinarily, I would be really worried if I were TCU, but since we play on the road, I have no idea what this team will give us next time out. Folks get excited when they get hot and pull out a win, but they're simply an average to below average team outside punter. .500 at best. Accept it, enjoy the few moments they give us and look to recruiting.

Robert Hubbs is a complete bust. Regardless of the 13 points he had tonight, he is the one guy on this team who had all the hype when we recruited him. 5 star shooting guard who didn't do anything his freshman year, struggled in his sophomore year, and I think he's averaging around 12 points this year which IMO does not tell the story of how awful he has been playing. His 3 point % has gone down since last year and he usually can't do much on the offensive end except make the occasional mid range jumper. I could go on and on but the point is I'm just really disappointed in the way he's developed. Thought he would be a star at Tennessee...guess I was wrong.
Another bash the player thread. Sad.

Reactions: 7 people

Two words describe Hubbs: Soft and disinterested. Probably has a lot of talent but just doesn't really seemed that engaged in the game. Also, his 3 point % this season is zero as he has yet to hit one.

Reactions: 1 person
Hubbs acts like he really doesn't care . That's the problem. He does not have that " will to win" or competitiveness the great players have

If ever there was a player for Rick Barnes to "coach up" in the manner he has Kevin Punter, Robert Hubbs is that guy. I suppose the difference would be mechanical in Punter's case and spiritual in the case of Hubbs.

Competing bash RB3 threads. A bust, too passive. doesn't care..etc blah Damn him for not being a 5-star (was he ever, really?).

After all the program turmoil and that spinning revolving door for coaches and players, the
kid is still here, somehow.

Yeah, he just doesn't have the attacking mentality. He is incredibly good at finishing around the rim and his athleticism is top of the SEC quality, yet he rarely ever attacks the basket.

It's unfortunate because he has the skills to be one of the best in the SEC, but he just doesn't have the attack mindset, like a Punter, McRae, Rich. The guys that we've seen step up and lead teams. People keep mentioning him as being the "guy" next year, but there's just no chance. He's showed nothing of being a leader.

And of course his shooting has gone to complete ****, so who even know about that.

He's a fine player and would make a superb role player on a good team, but that seems to be his ceiling.

And I'm sure people will come in and say things like McRae, Hop, Rich, Punter didn't score much early in their career but stepped up. That's true, but they also showed a lot more potential than Hubbs does at this point. They just had to put a couple of things together and then they were bonafide leaders. Hubbs? He shows nothing of a leader.

He is more agressive than J Rich was at the same point. He will be fine.

Hubbs is a victim of these ranking systems. If you saw him in high school, playing post, you would be able to tell that he was not a 5 star on and done type player. But, since he was given that label he is now a "bust". Any other player averaging 12 pts and 5 rebounds would be considered to be having a good season. Also, he basically missed his entire freshman season with shoulder surgery and has had a different coach every year. Next year I imagine his averages will increase again. If he can get up to 14 pts and 7 rbs a game, he'd have a successful season, just not the one that everyone "expects" him to have.

Reactions: 3 people
Hubbs will have a really good senior season. He just needs to listen to Barnes...he is the type of HC that is huge on fundamentals and molding a player...the athleticism is there. But he is indeed a victim of of 5* 1&dones*ratings. He was a high 3 to low 4 at this point...but the kid just needs the right steady voice in his ear.

He is more agressive than J Rich was at the same point. He will be fine.

Totally disagree on the Richardson comparison. From his freshman year one could see fire in the belly of Richardson. Hubbs has talent, but he is a very non-aggressive, complacent player. It's really that simple. He is loaded with ability, but doesn't possess the killer mentality that it takes to be great. Not bashing because I know how much these guys put into it since they were little with AAU ball and what they are going through now. I understand being disinterested and burned out. We just have to accept it because it appears he has.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back