Malpractice use of TOs

BruinVol

All off season I told this board the Texas people said Barnes was a bad in game coach and even worse user of TOs.

Tonight was beyond malpractice in that area.

Up 9 in the 2nd half Georgia goes on a run. We have 3 TOs left. We allow Georgia to go on a run that decides the game. When was a TO needed?

Well Barnes didn't call one until after Georgia took a 10pt lead AND baulkman hits a basket and 1. Then unexplainably Barnes called A TO. Smdh

When should a TO been called? Well the absolutely latest it should have been called was when the run was at 15-4 when Georgia took the lead on a 3. We got a 25ft shot from moore that hasn't made a 3 this year I don't think. And the very next possession Georgia hits another 3 to make the run 18-4.

And guess what Barnes didn't call a TO again he waited until we got down 10 and then started to come back.

Disgusting in game coach we have. Sick of it

Reactions: 1 person
You're assuming that time outs should only be called when the momentum isn't in your favor. If a coach doesn't have a need to give specific instructions then maybe it's not smart to use one of only three available TOs. I remember Mostella scoring once when TN was down about 11, but the under 12 TO was to be made on the next dead ball.

Time outs don't magically change your team's fortunes.

You're assuming that time outs should only be called when the momentum isn't in your favor. If a coach doesn't have a need to give specific instructions then maybe it's not smart to use one of only three available TOs. I remember Mostella scoring once when TN was down about 11, but the under 12 TO was to be made on the next dead ball.

Time outs don't magically change your team's fortunes.

Mostella hit the shot after it went 18-4 on the run.

From 9 up to 3 down when he hit the shot

Mostella hit the shot after it went 18-4 on the run.

From 9 up to 3 down when he hit the shot

Calling TOs doesn't change anything... it just drags it out. As long as your players can hear the instructions and are following them, what's the point of calling them?

Knew who the OP was before I opened

Lol

You should have been with me while I Watching the game. Literally threw everything I could find at the tube during that run. I knew this board would somehow excuse Barnes for forfeiting any shot we had to win the game.

What was the game time during the run? I don't remember.

Here's why I'm asking. If it's close to the 16, 12, 8 or 4 minute mark then you wait for the next dead ball media timeout and save your own timeout.

Again, I'm not saying that the case, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Lol

You should have been with me while I Watching the game. Literally threw everything I could find at the tube during that run. I knew this board would somehow excuse Barnes for forfeiting any shot we had to win the game.

This should make you happy though...

Barnes: "It's my job to coach these guys. When we're not doing these things, it's on me. We'll keep trying to figure out how to do it."

Calling TOs doesn't change anything... it just drags it out. As long as your players can hear the instructions and are following them, what's the point of calling them?

It's a practice used in hoops forever. Coaches use it to stop/slow momentum and yes some coaches more than others.
Barnes doesn't use them at all.
In fact he used the TO tonight right after an AND1. Which makes it even worse.

What was the game time during the run? I don't remember.

Here's why I'm asking. If it's close to the 16, 12, 8 or 4 minute mark then you wait for the next dead ball media timeout and save your own timeout.

Again, I'm not saying that the case, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

The game was close at that point. TN has three second half time outs. Barnes might need to keep them for the end of a close game to set up the defense.

I remember when Cuonzo would use them after we made a big basket, usually after a made three. Momentum killer. Maddening.

It's a practice used in hoops forever. Coaches use it to stop/slow momentum and yes some coaches more than others.
Barnes doesn't use them at all.
In fact he used the TO tonight right after an AND1. Which makes it even worse.

He's breaking the rules. He's an innovator.

Chances are the use of TOs has been studied and they have zero effect on the game. You know what really kicks a team in the ass? Calling a TO, not scoring coming out of the TO, and then the other team scores. Now what do you do? Call another one?

VN Store

Back