Kesling

Is a lot better calling bb games. I didn't live in TN or hear him much before this year. He is obviously no John Ward but he is markedly better calling BB than FB. Serviceable even.

Dude I've always said the same thing! And it's kinda crazy if you ask me because there is so much movement going on in a basketball game, as the ball is constantly changing hands. He even pronounces the names correctly!!

Reactions: 4 people
Tonight he called Shembari Phillips "Jabari Phillips". Classic Bobism. It's okay though. There isn't another John Ward out there to take over the PBP.

Actually what is bad this year at the TBA is that I don't think they've used the stadium cast equipment yet (FM frequency around 95-97). 107.7 can barely be picked up inside all that concrete, but apparently it's being synced up for the TV and has a 15 second delay. Pretty useless to listen.

Is a lot better calling bb games. I didn't live in TN or hear him much before this year. He is obviously no John Ward but he is markedly better calling BB than FB. Serviceable even.

Totally agree...and Bert just cracks me up with his reactions. I really enjoy listening to them call UT BBall.

Reactions: 1 person
Noticed that Bob K. has lost weight on the Butch Jones Show. Still, I can't listen to him on the radio during Vol football games. :whistling:

Dude I've always said the same thing! And it's kinda crazy if you ask me because there is so much movement going on in a basketball game, as the ball is constantly changing hands. He even pronounces the names correctly!!

Agreed. It really is counter intuitive, and yet he is clearly better with hoops. He gets the action correct and the names correct for the most part. I have noticed this, too.

It is true that there will never be anyone in the history of the game of basketball who could call a game better on the radio than John Ward.

I think Bob is awesome....doing a job that none of us on this web-site has the ability to do...I agree he is not John Ward or Lindsay Nelson for that matter but he is a better than a bunch of blowhards........Go Vols

Reactions: 2 people
He's just as sucky with basketball as he is with football. Don't kid yourself.....

He rarely gives the score in basketball games that literally changes within seconds. He has gone minutes, several minutes without updating the score during basketball games. That's just malpractice! Set a freaking timer that flashes a light every 20-30 seconds and give the current score of the basketball game....

DAMMIT BOB..... DAMMIT BOB..... DAMMIT

Reactions: 4 people
He is a little better calling basketball. Nevertheless, the Vol Network play calling has been pretty much "post orgasmic" ever since John Ward retired.

He is a little better calling basketball. Nevertheless, the Vol Network play calling has been pretty much "post orgasmic" ever since John Ward retired.

The Vol Network has shrunk a lot in size since John Ward retired. I wish the Vol Network could find a station in Atlanta to carry their games.

The Vol Network has shrunk a lot in size since John Ward retired. I wish the Vol Network could find a station in Atlanta to carry their games.

Why? It's all available via phone app now. Where games are carried is largely irrelevant and in a few years won't matter at all as just about everyone has some electronic device that allows them to pick up the broadcast.

How about RB calling Bob out on the postgame show for doing football instead of basketball this weekend? Hilarious.

Last edited:
Why? It's all available via phone app now. Where games are carried is largely irrelevant and in a few years won't matter at all as just about everyone has some electronic device that allows them to pick up the broadcast.

Good point that you make but it would be nice to be able to hear the games on my radio from where i live.

Kessling is a great TV guy when reading scripts, like official videos or CBJ show.. Also very polished for speeches and functions... He is NOT that great of a play by play guy.. I cant see the game in my mind with him as I could or can with others... Also home radio broadcasters should be big time homers.. They should say we, our, their, and them... Should be absolutely no doubt if your driving along, pick up a game broadcast, and know immediately which schools broadcast team your listening to

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back