The "Who names a team the Runnin Bulldogs?" Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. This is going to be the story all year. No win will be easy for the Volunteers. It's going to be a long season, so buckle up.

2. The perimeter defense (or lack thereof) is disturbing. We have good athletes and lots of length, there is no excuse for this. I'm not sure if it's coaching or effort. Either way, that can't happen.

3. An issue to just watch for during the Rick Barnes era. Anytime Barnes has a good defense, he's always had a good rim protector or two on the team. This year, he doesn't and it shows because the team is funneling a lot of drives trying to stop the three point game.

4. Okay, so on to some good. The decision to go with Moore at center was interesting, but the right choice. Gardner-Webb was killing UT because of dribble penetration and UT was afforded to hedge more and use Moore as more of a rim protector to help on those drive. It also created more driving space on offense. However, I wouldn't do this too much.

5. The ball movement was really good. The play was sloppy sometimes, but I like how this team is willing and wanting to make the extra pass, especially when they get to the paint. I'm really excited to see guys like Hubbs/Baulkman/Mostella combine for 10 assists. That's really good to get from your wings.

6. I know Barnes is trying to win as much as possible, but he's going to have get Phillips more minutes and Punter more breaks. You have to save Punter and you have to see what you have in Phillips.

7. The Dale Ellis Player of the Game: Punter had the better stats, but Baulkman hit the two big three's that gave Tennessee a lead, and I thought his outside shooting really changed the game. His defense leaves a lot to be desired, but he had three assists and six rebounds. Really liked what he did today.

8. Robert Hubbs III using his athleticism to get put back buckets shows hustle and a heady IQ. You can't teach that. It's why I still think he's going to be really good.

9. Free Throws. Free Throws. Free Throws.

10. Tennessee played its best 20 minutes of basketball this year. The first ten and the last. The 20 in between was terrible. I wonder if maybe adding a press to change it up and keep the tempo going would really benefit this team. I like their effort so far and I like the game plan but there need to be quicker adjustments from the staff and better effort defensively on the perimeter. Either way, good job by Tennessee to pull away and get the win.

Reactions: 5 people
The Running Bulldogs: sort of a contradiction in terms, ala military intelligence, jumbo shrimp, civil war, deafening silence, living dead, Kentucky Intellectual, etc.

Reactions: 4 people
I didn't get to watch all the game - at least not intently...

Did we not lose the big lead while we had a lot of subs in? I was just wondering if Coach wanted them to have a closer game rather than a blowout.

May be wrong. It was just what I was thinking.

Did we not lose the big lead while we had a lot of subs in? I was just wondering if Coach wanted them to have a closer game rather than a blowout.

No

Led by 19 very early in the game

4pt game at half

Trailed by 1 with 10min to go

His words during one of the time outs said just the opposite.
Barnes wanted to blow their doors off.

I'd have to go with Armani as the player of the game - 15 pts, 16 rbs, 3 blks

From Lynchburg Tennessee, we present the Motlow State Community College women's basketball team named.....

The Lady Bucks

Their logo is a deer with antlers

Reactions: 4 people
I think one of the commentators said it best. When the vols play their game they're gonna be able to keep up with some good teams. But when the play their worst, they can lose to anyone as well. Seems to be the vibe from the season so far.

4-0 would have given a jolt of optimism. Ga tech lost to etsu today.

3-1 isn't really anything to get excited about

No, but I think most of would've predicted 3-1 after 4 games. Should be 4-0, but I'm happy with 3-1, and will be 4-1 after Tuesday. Then it toughens up again

Reactions: 1 person
No, but I think most of would've predicted 3-1 after 4 games. Should be 4-0, but I'm happy with 3-1, and will be 4-1 after Tuesday. Then it toughens up again

Yes 4-0 or 3-1 would have been all the predictions.

My point was no one would have said anything worse than 3-1

If Bette Davis had an opinion on this season for the BasketVols, it would be, "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride."

4-0 would have given a jolt of optimism. Ga tech lost to etsu today.

3-1 isn't really anything to get excited about

I mean we've won some hard fought games. We could easily be 1-3. This team may not be very good yet, but they never give up.

Good writeup. #6 is huge. We play another game in 48 hours against a much tougher opponent; you gotta wonder what kind of legs Punter, Armani, and Hubbs are gonna have for that one. Although Barnes did say in the presser that Phillips played his best 5 minutes all year.

Also, Reese was pretty much a no show. He's got to show up every night for us to have any chance against any team with some size.

Through the first 10 minutes, I thought to myself, "Wow...we might have finally put things together". The next 20 minutes provided glimpses of what we've seen thru the first 3 games, and the final 10 provided hope again.

The Good...
1. As soon as I call out Devon Baulkman following the GT game, he follows it up with two solid offensive performances. 22 pts today on 7-14 shooting (6-10 from 3), 6 rebs, 3 assts, and only 1 TO.

2. Without looking it up, I'll venture to guess that 23 assts is a season high and 10 TOs is a season low. We finally started to make the SMART extra pass instead of the dumb extra pass or selfish drive that has lead to TOs thru the first 3 games. It lead to a lot of easy/wide open looks.

3. Kevin Punter's shot looks night and day different and it is so much smoother. He shot the ball so well today (5-10 from 3). 24 pts, 7 rebs, 6 assts, and only 1 TO. His best overall game of the season IMO. He isn't a true PG, but this team is lost without him, and for that reason, he is probably our most valuable player. Not our best player necessarily, but our most valuable.

4. Like Z said, Hubbs has started to display intangible qualities you can't teach. Thru two seasons, I questioned his desire to be great at times, but he is becoming a very heady player and displaying the hustle of someone who wants to get better each game. 17 pts, 6 rebs, 4 assts.

5. We really dominated the boards overall (52-41), but especially from the guard position. Our starters combined for 19 rebs and Mostella and Phillips added 4 more. We lost the OReb battle, but when you shoot 52.5% and the opponent shoots 30%, that isn't a big surprise.

6. Armani played great at times. He really worked the boards hard (16 rebs). I'd really like to see him finish better around the rim. He mises a lot of shots under the basket. We aren't going to get a lot of good looks in the paint, ao we need to finish them when we do get chances.

The Bad...
1. We need to shoot FTs better. I'll chalk this up to lack of focus for an early tip against an inferior opponent. We shot well (25-30) against Marshall, but shot 12-23 today.

2. I'd like to see us take the fight to these inferior opponents for 40 minutes to give our starters a rest. Punter, Hubbs, Moore, Baulkman, those guys are going to have to play 30+ minutes against our better opponents, but they shouldn't have to against the likes of Marshall and Gardner-Webb. We should put teams like that away early, and by the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half, we should be able to largely play some backups and newcomers to see what they can do.

3. The perimeter defense is not quite Tyndall Terror Defense bad, but it is starting to border on it. Marshall and GW shot terribly for most of the game, so it didn't really bite us, but hot shooting teams will blow us out if they get the kind of clean looks we are giving up.

4. I'd really like to see us force more than 8 TOs against that type opponent.

Bottom line...
The final result was what we should have expected, but the journey there was a little tenuous. It sounds really elementary, but we shot really well overall and GW didn't, and that was ultimately the difference. We rebounded their misses really well and limited their second chances. Good win, and probably our best offensive performance of the season.

Reactions: 3 people
I was thinking pressing might be a good idea too, but hard to do when you need 37 mins a game from Punter, Hubbs, and Moore.

I was thinking pressing might be a good idea too, but hard to do when you need 37 mins a game from Punter, Hubbs, and Moore.

I agree. Tough for this team to press when they predominantly go 6 deep in general.

I agree. Tough for this team to press when they predominantly go 6 deep in general.

Just watched ole miss get manhandled by seton hall

Seton hall went 3/4 press and then fell back into zone. Ole miss had zero answer.

Exactly what would help ask this teams problems

Wes Washpun was a big factor in his teams' victory over UNC this weekend.
Maybe we should have kept him.

Last edited:

Yep, they need to find 1-2 more legitimate subs and at least go 8 deep. Otherwise, the main 3 may not make it through the season.

VN Store

Back