Vols vs Marshall Postgame Thread

VinylVols

Thought they showed a lot of character coming back from such a big deficit, and closed the game out pretty solidly. Didn't seem like there was any cramping at the end of the game so that's also a positive.

Obviously, being down by 15 points to a Marshall team isn't anything to get excited about, but a lot of teams in the place Tennessee is in, could have easily thrown in the towel and mentally checked out.

Overall, another shaky game, but I think they showed that they understand what their weaknesses are and are starting to find ways to improve them immediately. Very thankful for the current schedule, seems very forgiving.

Reactions: 8 people
It was looking especially putrid for the Vols for a while there being down 16 points to a Marshall team that lost an exhibition game by 12 points to almighty Newberry (Division II).

But still refreshing to see our boys overcome the big deficit and win by 10 points.

All that matters is that we go the W. This is still the same team who came up just 2 points shy of beating a solid GA Tech team.

Growing pains right now, but we're going to be alright. We have 3 good options on offense this year in Punter, Hubbs and Moore and our supporting guys like Mostella and Baulkman are going to be just fine.

Also, anyone who thinks Reese hasn't gotten better at rebounding this year by leaps and bounds is insane. He gets so much crap on this forum, but he's not horrible considering he was brought in by Cuonzo as a skinny 6'8" wing player who only averaged 10 points per game in high school.

Reactions: 2 people
That could have been an ugly loss but our boys fought back and got the W. Hubbs is coming a long nicely I hope his knee doesn't hold him back. Next year could be special for him.

All that matters is that we go the W. This is still the same team who came up just 2 points shy of beating a solid GA Tech team.

Growing pains right now, but we're going to be alright. We have 3 good options on offense this year in Punter, Hubbs and Moore and our supporting guys like Mostella and Baulkman are going to be just fine.

Also, anyone who thinks Reese hasn't gotten better at rebounding this year by leaps and bounds is insane. He gets so much crap on this forum, but he's not horrible considering he was brought in by Cuonzo as a skinny 6'8" wing player who only averaged 10 points per game in high school.

Yeah honestly I didn't realize that until now. I was trying so hard to figure what his role was on our team against g tech, because it looked like he was just out there.

But it's easy to look past this, last night he had a lot of good rebounds. That's been pretty big for us.

You can attribute a lot of the rebounding succes Reese is experiencing to Barnes. He "forced" him to move inside and stay there.

Folks better savor every win this team provides this season regardless of the margin of victory.

Reactions: 1 person
I was at the game last night. Here are a few of my thoughts.

Offense - We are incredibly stagnant in a half court offense. Majority of the time last night it's Punter or another guard taking someone off the dribble with the other four standing around or throw it to Armani in the post and the other four stand around. We need some continuity to our half court stuff and I'm sure Barnes is gonna work on it. We also need to scrap the play we run where a wing down screens for the post coming up to set the ball screen. Punter turns down the ball screen 90% of the time and we get nothing out of it or the down screen isn't good and the ball screener isn't sprinting to set the screen and they have no trouble hedging it because Punter isn't super quick. I like getting Armani the ball in the mid/high post and letting him work against a bigger defender where he can use his quickness. Problem is, other guys have to move and have good spacing (which we only had a few times last night) or else their man can help down on the post.

Tempo - This team needs to press really badly a la the Pearl days. We have limited size and we have lots of really great athletes. When we slow it down on both ends of the floor we are at a major disadvantage. Speeding up the game with high pressure and getting out and running serves to our advantage. Our big runs last night came on turnovers and fast breaks. Additionally, Punter is infinitely more comfortable on the break as a facilitator than he is trying to run the half court stuff.

Defense - Our defensive intensity was severely lacking at times, especially on ball screens in the first half. I really liked how we switched all the ball screens in the second half. It effectively neutralized their ball screen/dribble hand offs and Marshall isn't well coached enough to adjust to that. They took a lot of terrible shots that allowed us back into the game. Also need to do a better job of boxing out. Several times we had 3 or 4 white jerseys surrounding a Marshall guy who is getting an offensive rebound. That's inexcusable for an undersized team like ours to not be committed to rebounding. I'm sure Barnes will be stressing this in the coming weeks.

Young Guns - From what I saw, they just aren't ready. Admiral, Phillips, Alexander and, to a certain extent, Kasongo don't seem very confident. Kasongo is the most disappointing of that group to me because I had high hopes for him coming into the year. He seems very timid when he gets the ball and his actions were very stiff last night. I think he's thinking too much. Hopefully once the game slows down for him he will be more active.

Hubbs and Mostella - Both of these guys look great. Detrick is much more assertive and is crashing the boards really hard. He's improved so much. Hubbs is starting to come into his own and I think we're seeing his career go on the same development path as Scotty Hopson's. He is really coming on in his Junior year. He's taking good shots, making good decisions, and being active on the boards. I don't think it's a stretch for him to average 14-18 ppg this year and hover around 17-19 next year. His mid range is working and that's opening up driving lanes for him. Love his improvement.

Kevin Punter is not a PG - I know he had a good second half and scored 19 points but he is just not cut out to play point guard. I feel bad for him. I'm sure he will improve as the season goes on but having to facilitate the offense is causing him to force things and make some bad decisions. Right now he's really struggling. He was more aggressive and took better shots in the second half but as I said above that was because we were fast breaking. He just looks more comfortable off the ball yet we have no other options. I'm interested to see how he improves over the course of the season.

Game Grade: C-
Proud of the comeback but it should never have come to that. We came out of the half very slow and we can't have that against the better teams on our schedule. People can say we covered the spread but outside the last 13 minutes of the game we looked like garbage. Maybe it was a GA Tech game hangover? The guys played hard but we have a long way to go before I feel good about us being a .500 ball club this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Got to be proud of the composure to comeback and then hold the lead. Got to be worried about being down 16 to anyone. The positive is that they made the comeback by doing what they do. They pushed and got to the FT line (We got calls but that is what happens at home. We didn't get those calls at GT.), made good look 3's, and our two scorers, scored. I like their agressive mentality. Go down swinging. It was fun. Really glad Kasonogo got the eligibility issue corrected because he can develop and make a difference. I have been worried about Mostella and not all concern is gone but I think this staff can reach him and maximize his skill. Fingers crossed. Go Big Orange.

13 rebounds, 4 blocks, 1 steal, 1 foul and 2 pts (1-4 shooting).

Hell of a game for Derek Reese! I missed the game, but the statline seems very positive. He really seems to have given up shooting 3s and soley sticks to rebounding... Which we are already heavy-loaded on 3 pt shooters. Glad he's dedicated himself to a new role.

Offense - We are incredibly stagnant in a half court offense. Majority of the time last night it's Punter or another guard taking someone off the dribble with the other four standing around or throw it to Armani in the post and the other four stand around. We need some continuity to our half court stuff and I'm sure Barnes is gonna work on it. We also need to scrap the play we run where a wing down screens for the post coming up to set the ball screen. Punter turns down the ball screen 90% of the time and we get nothing out of it or the down screen isn't good and the ball screener isn't sprinting to set the screen and they have no trouble hedging it because Punter isn't super quick. I like getting Armani the ball in the mid/high post and letting him work against a bigger defender where he can use his quickness. Problem is, other guys have to move and have good spacing (which we only had a few times last night) or else their man can help down on the post.

Tempo - This team needs to press really badly a la the Pearl days. We have limited size and we have lots of really great athletes. When we slow it down on both ends of the floor we are at a major disadvantage. Speeding up the game with high pressure and getting out and running serves to our advantage. Our big runs last night came on turnovers and fast breaks. Additionally, Punter is infinitely more comfortable on the break as a facilitator than he is trying to run the half court stuff.

Defense - Our defensive intensity was severely lacking at times, especially on ball screens in the first half. I really liked how we switched all the ball screens in the second half. It effectively neutralized their ball screen/dribble hand offs and Marshall isn't well coached enough to adjust to that. They took a lot of terrible shots that allowed us back into the game. Also need to do a better job of boxing out. Several times we had 3 or 4 white jerseys surrounding a Marshall guy who is getting an offensive rebound. That's inexcusable for an undersized team like ours to not be committed to rebounding. I'm sure Barnes will be stressing this in the coming weeks.

Young Guns - From what I saw, they just aren't ready. Admiral, Phillips, Alexander and, to a certain extent, Kasongo don't seem very confident. Kasongo is the most disappointing of that group to me because I had high hopes for him coming into the year. He seems very timid when he gets the ball and his actions were very stiff last night. I think he's thinking too much. Hopefully once the game slows down for him he will be more active.

Hubbs and Mostella - Both of these guys look great. Detrick is much more assertive and is crashing the boards really hard. He's improved so much. Hubbs is starting to come into his own and I think we're seeing his career go on the same development path as Scotty Hopson's. He is really coming on in his Junior year. He's taking good shots, making good decisions, and being active on the boards. I don't think it's a stretch for him to average 14-18 ppg this year and hover around 17-19 next year. His mid range is working and that's opening up driving lanes for him. Love his improvement.

Kevin Punter is not a PG - I know he had a good second half and scored 19 points but he is just not cut out to play point guard. I feel bad for him. I'm sure he will improve as the season goes on but having to facilitate the offense is causing him to force things and make some bad decisions. I expect him to improve as the year goes on but right now he's really struggling. He was more aggressive and took better shots in the second half but as I said above that was because we were fast breaking. He just looks more comfortable off the ball yet we have no other options. I'm interested to see how he improves over the course of the season.

Proud of the comeback but it should never have come to that. We came out of the half very slow and we can't have that against the better teams on our schedule. People can say we covered the spread but outside the last 13 minutes of the game we looked like garbage. Maybe it was a GA Tech game hangover? The guys played hard but we have a long way to go before I feel good about us being a .500 ball club this year.
Really good points. Have you listened to the Barnes presser yet? From what I gathered, KP is still struggling with the transition to PG.

I'm afraid that this is probably the least talented Tennessee team in 10+ years. That isn't a terrible knock on them as the last 10 years have seen some really good teams, and even the worst of those finished with pretty good records. I just think it is going to take a masterful coaching job to make this group of collective talent anything special.

What I saw over the first 25 minutes last night was some of the worst team basketball I can remember. At no point in that 25 minutes did we look like a cohesive group and it felt like there were 5 individuals out there just doing whatever each one wanted. That has to be corrected immediately.

The Good...
1. We won all three shooting phases of the game. We held Marshall to 36.5% from the field, though a lot of that had to do with the low-percentage shots they took despite the fact that we gave them lanes to drive for most of the night.

2. We hit our FTs, and ended up shooting twice as many as Marshall for the game after only attempting 2 ourselves in the 1st half. 25-30 from the line will win you some ballgames.

3. Robert Hubbs, despite not starting due to a minor injury, played one of his finer games. He got into the lane, didn't settle for 3s, hit the boards (esp. ORebs), and took care of the ball on a night when that felt optional for the rest of the team. 19 pts on 7-14 shooting, 5 rebs, 1 asst, 2 stls and only 1 TO in 28 mins.

4. Nice bounce back game for Armani Moore, turnovers notwithstanding. He shot much better from the field, rebounded well, and got to the basket with ease, though he still needs to learn to finish better once he gets in close. 20 pts, 8 rebs, 3 assts, but 4 TOs.

5. I'm going to give Derek Reese credit where credit is due. For a guy who struggled to accept his role as a post player the past two seasons, he has done a great job doing the dirty work this year. He leads the team in rebs and is 2nd in FG% and blks. His post defense leaves a lot to be desired at times, but he has only attempted 9 shots through 3 games (with no 3 pt attempts) and made 5 of them. Last night he had 2 pts, 13 rebs, 4 blks, 1 stl and 0 TOs in 24 mins.

6. Baulkman played his best all-around game of the season. He didn't shoot particularly well, but he did finish with 13 pts, 7 rebs, 2 assts, 1 stl, and 1 TO in 34 mins.

7. Punter didn't shoot all that well, but made up for it by hitting 9-10 at the FT line because he finally began driving the ball and attacking the basket. Several of those key FTs came towards the end as well when Marshall had to foul. 19 pts, 3 rebs, 4 assts, 2 stls, and 3 TOs in 37 mins.

8. Kasongo had a couple nice hook shots to finish 2-2, scoring 4 pts and grabbing 1 reb in only 5 mins. of action.

9. I thought our ability to fight through a really, really poor opening 5 minutes of the 2nd half to overturn a 16 point deficit was encouraging. Disappointed though, that we were ever down to that quality opponent by 16 pts at home.

The Bad...
1. Talk about a team of individuals. There is very little team basketball being played right now, and it is very reminiscent of the Jerry Green days when it seemed he just rolled the ball out there and told his boys to go play.

2. There seems to be very little individual talent too, which makes the continued one-on-one play all the more strange. There isn't one guy I have confidence in when the ball leaves his hand on a perimeter shot. Sadly, our level of experience, lack of size, and offensive post skills are going to force us to win a lot of games from the 3-pt line, where we collectively are shooting 27.8% as a team (15-54), good for 290th in the country.

3. Along those same lines, last night especially, we just settle for open perimeter shots. We don't try to run any backdoor cuts, drives to the basket that draw double teams that provide open looks for teammates, or flashes to paint. We stand four guys around the perimeter and pass it back and forth. Barnes has to create some offense on set plays, and to this point, I see very little offensive coaching.

4. The defense at times last night was middle school level. There was a period that Marshall just did whatever they wanted. We didn't guard the perimeter against a team we knew liked to shoot the ball from outside. We didn't switch on drives and cuts to the lane. We got burned in transition as well. Just an overall pitiful performance for the first 25 minutes.

5. We got next to nothing from the newcomers last night. In 25 combined minutes, McGhee, Kasongo, Alexander, Phillips, and Schofield combined for 4 pts (all from RayK), 5 rebs, 2 assts, 1 blk, 1 stl, 2 TOs and 7 fouls. McGhee, who played really well against GT, was to learn to defend and rebound without fouling. That was an issue in his handful of games last year, and it has been again this year. He has some talent, but it's of no use when he's constantly on the bench in foul trouble. A few of these guys need to step up and be reliable for 10-15 minutes a piece. Fatigue is an obvious issue for teams in general and we are in trouble if we can only go 6 deep, which we did for most of the 2md half (Punter, Moore, Hubbs, Reese, Baulkman, Mostella).

Bottom line...
This team, in its current state, will struggle to finish .500 for the season. They need an infusion of talent. From ball-handling to consistent perimeter shooting, to offensive post skills. Right now it feels like a lot of square pegs in round holes and the decision-making of some (Armani Moore and Kevin Punter) is troubling. Maybe they are trying to do too much instead of trusting their teammates, but Barnes has got to get a hold on this and teach them/force them to play within a system, if one even exists. I've not seen much evidence of one yet.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that this probably the least talented Tennessee team in 10+ years. That isn't a terrible knock on them as the last 10 years have seen some really good teams, and even the worst of those finished with pretty good records. I just think it is going to take a masterful coaching job to make this group of collective talent anything special.

What I saw over the first 25 minutes last night was some of the worst team basketball I can remember. At no point in that 25 minutes did we look like a cohesive group and it felt like there were 5 individuals out there just doing whatever each one wanted. That has to be corrected immediately.

The Good...
1. We won all three shooting phases of the game. We held Marshall to 36.5% from the field, though a lot of that had to do with the low-percentage shots they took despite the fact that we gave them lanes to drive for most of the night.

2. We hit our FTs, and ended up shooting twice as many as Marshall for the game after only attempting 2 ourselves in the 1st half. 25-30 from the line will win you some ballgames.

3. Robert Hubbs, despite not starting due to a minor injury, played one of his finer games. He got into the lane, didn't settle for 3s, hit the boards (esp. ORebs), and took care of the ball on a night when that felt optional for the rest of the team. 19 pts on 7-14 shooting, 5 rebs, 1 asst, 2 stls and only 1 TO in 28 mins.

4. Nice bounce back game for Armani Moore, turnovers notwithstanding. He shot much better from the field, rebounded well, and got to the basket with ease, though he still needs to learn to finish better once he gets in close. 20 pts, 8 rebs, 3 assts, but 4 TOs.

5. I'm going to give Derek Reese credit where credit is due. For a guy who struggled to accept his role as a post player the past two seasons, he has done a great job doing the dirty work this year. He leads the team in rebs and is 2nd in FG% and blks. His post defense leaves a lot to be desired at times, but he has only attempted 9 shots through 3 games (with no 3 pt attempts) and made 5 of them. Last night he had 2 pts, 13 rebs, 4 blks, 1 stl and 0 TOs in 24 mins.

6. Baulkman played his best all-around game of the season. He didn't shoot particularly well, but he did finish with 13 pts, 7 rebs, 2 assts, 1 stl, and 1 TO in 34 mins.

7. Punter didn't shoot all that well, but made up for it by hitting 9-10 at the FT line because he finally began driving the ball and attacking the basket. Several of those key FTs came towards the end as well when Marshall had to foul. 19 pts, 3 rebs, 4 assts, 2 stls, and 3 TOs in 37 mins.

8. Kasongo had a couple nice hook shots to finish 2-2, scoring 4 pts and grabbing 1 reb in only 5 mins. of action.

9. I thought our ability to fight through a really, really poor opening 5 minutes of the 2nd half to overturn a 16 point deficit was encouraging. Disappointed though, that we were ever down to that quality opponent by 16 pts at home.

The Bad...
1. Talk about a team of individuals. There is very little team basketball being played right now, and it is very reminiscent of the Jerry Green days when it seemed he just rolled the ball out there and told his boys to go play.

2. There seems to be very little individual talent too, which makes the continued one-on-one play all the more strange. There isn't one guy I have confidence in when the ball leaves his hand on a perimeter shot. Sadly, our level of experience, lack of size, and offensive post skills are going to force us to win a lot of games from the 3-pt line, where we collectively are shooting 27.8% as a team (15-54), good for 290th in the country.

3. Along those same lines, last night especially, we just settle for open perimeter shots. We don't try to run any backdoor cuts, drives to the basket that draw double teams that provide open looks for teammates, or flashes to paint. We stand four guys around the perimeter and pass it back and forth. Barnes has to create some offense on set plays, and to this point, I see very little offensive coaching.

4. The defense at times last night was middle school level. There was a period that Marshall just did whatever they wanted. We didn't guard the perimeter against a team we knew liked to shoot the ball from outside. We didn't switch on drives and cuts to the lane. We got burned in transition as well. Just an overall pitiful performance for the first 25 minutes.

5. We got next to nothing from the newcomers last night. In 25 combined minutes, McGhee, Kasongo, Alexander, Phillips, and Schofield combined for 4 pts (all from RayK), 5 rebs, 2 assts, 1 blk, 1 stl, 2 TOs and 7 fouls. McGhee, who played really well against GT, was to learn to defend and rebound without fouling. That was an issue in his handful of games last year, and it has been again this year. He has some talent, but it's of no use when he's constantly on the bench in foul trouble. A few of these guys need to step up and be reliable for 10-15 minutes a piece. Fatigue is an obvious issue for teams in general and we are in trouble if we can only go 6 deep, which we did for most of the 2md half (Punter, Moore, Hubbs, Reese, Baulkman, Mostella).

Bottom line...
This team, in its current state, will struggle to finish .500 for the season. They need an infusion of talent. From ball-handling to consistent perimeter shooting, to offensive post skills. Right now it feels like a lot of square pegs in round holes and the decision-making of some (Armani Moore and Kevin Punter) is troubling. Maybe they are trying to do too much instead of trusting their teammates, but Barnes has got to get a hold on this and teach them/force them to play within a system, if one even exists. I've not seen much evidence of one yet.

Damn Chris, now I'm just depressed. Unfortunately, you are right. This season will be a test in patience, for everyone,

Kevin Punter is not a PG - I know he had a good second half and scored 19 points but he is just not cut out to play point guard. I feel bad for him. I'm sure he will improve as the season goes on but having to facilitate the offense is causing him to force things and make some bad decisions. Right now he's really struggling. He was more aggressive and took better shots in the second half but as I said above that was because we were fast breaking. He just looks more comfortable off the ball yet we have no other options. I'm interested to see how he improves over the course of the season.

Good stuff. Looks like we were both typing ours out at the same time and have a lot of the same points.

Agree on Punter, which is a point I neglected to make because it is painfully obvious, but he isn't a PG. It will be so strange next year to go from having essentially no PG for 2 years straight to having 2, and maybe 3 guys capable of playing the position in Turner, Bone, and maybe Parker as well.

The problem with team is 2 fold.
With so little natural ability and a lack of individual BB IQ they are dependent upon what they've been taught.
3 of the core have played for 3 coaches now. 2 were defensive minded and I am at a loss to present an offensive scheme for either of these guys, except that Martin's was totally dependent on a strong front court presence.

Tyndall's offensive scheme could best be explained by a group of guys playing hot potato and the last guy throwing a prayer towards the iron.

Listening to Barnes after each game, I get the impression that these coaches are begging the guys to do what they are being taught in practice on the offensive end. When they finally do, you get the night and day difference between the first 25 of this game and the last 15.

Thought they showed a lot of character coming back from such a big deficit, and closed the game out pretty solidly. Didn't seem like there was any cramping at the end of the game so that's also a positive.

Obviously, being down by 15 points to a Marshall team isn't anything to get excited about, but a lot of teams in the place Tennessee is in, could have easily thrown in the towel and mentally checked out.

Overall, another shaky game, but I think they showed that they understand what their weaknesses are and are starting to find ways to improve them immediately. Very thankful for the current schedule, seems very forgiving.

A sound assessment.

The problem with team is 2 fold.
With so little natural ability and a lack of individual BB IQ they are dependent upon what they've been taught.
3 of the core have played for 3 coaches now. 2 were defensive minded and I am at a loss to present an offensive scheme for either of these guys, except that Martin's was totally dependent on a strong front court presence.

Tyndall's offensive scheme could best be explained by a group of guys playing hot potato and the last guy throwing a prayer towards the iron.

Listening to Barnes after each game, I get the impression that these coaches are begging the guys to do what they are being taught in practice on the offensive end. When they finally do, you get the night and day difference between the first 25 of this game and the last 15.

I can agree with a lot of that. It is troubling that the coaches have resorted to begging guys to do what they are asked.

I agree with CA, that our best offense comes in and off of transition. We just don't have a PG to facilitate an offense that may or may not exist. Barnes may have to start thinking outside the box and adjust his system a bit to get us out running more. The halfcourt offense is just nonexistent with Punter/Moore trying to run it.

I heard his answer but what was the last question to Barnes at the post game presser? Apparently it had to do with a five second call after only a three count. Whatever happen definitely got his ire.

He is obviously not happy with the play on the court. Most seems to be transitioning how they practice to game play. Almost sounds like they have not yet bought into what he is asking of them.

I hate that McGhee didn't get enough playing time in the first half of the game. Although, he had 1 foul and his only turnover, he should have played more!

I hate that McGhee didn't get enough playing time in the first half of the game. Although, he had 1 foul and his only turnover, he should have played more!

I don't understand how everyone isn't PUMPED about McGhee so far this year. He didn't play that much last night but his offense looks much improved and he's been playing with a lot of energy around the basket.

I don't understand how everyone isn't PUMPED about McGhee so far this year. He didn't play that much last night but his offense looks much improved and he's been playing with a lot of energy around the basket.

I think a lot of people, myself included, are excited about his improved offense. It's the defense and fouling that are keeping him off the court though, and all the offensive ability in the world can't save him from foul trouble. He has to become more disciplined.

I will say this, the one foul called against him on the flop was bogus.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back