How much difference would Turner have made last night?

Fingers

Watching Punter and Moore bring the ball up the floor, I couldn't help but wonder how this season might play out differently with Turner on the floor.

Punter could barely walk off the floor at the end.

Wouldn't have to have made much of an impact to make it a win

I would say we win last night with turner

Interesting to see if moore will continue to be the backup pg

Turner would make a huge difference. Irregardless we would have won if Baulkman could throw it in the ocean right now.

Turner would make a huge difference. Irregardless we would have won if Baulkman could throw it in the ocean right now.

Yep.

Sucks that we were thinking he might be a consistent scorer for us. Still time but a poor start for him

Just having Turner for depth would have made the difference... we improve on easy lay-ups and foul shots and we would have won without him, but our kids were clearly gassed at the end and couldn't get the rebounds they were getting in the first half with fresh legs...

Turner would have helped because then Punter could play more off ball. He had a rough night and couldn't get to the line as much as he wanted. Punter is a better 2 than 1 but he has to play the 1. What really hurt us is no force down low. They ate us up down there.

What amazes me is the number of high schools. Junior colleges. And we can't find a quality point guard to play this year. Doesn't have to be a scorer. Just someone who can handle to ball without turning it over.

Turner is an unproven Freshman at this level. So really we have no idea what he could have done that might have been an impact last night or this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
What amazes me is the number of high schools. Junior colleges. And we can't find a quality point guard to play this year. Doesn't have to be a scorer. Just someone who can handle to ball without turning it over.

I still feel like Phillips will be that guy. In Barnes post game presser it sounded to me, like the offense functioned so poorly last night while Armani was running the pg, he won't be doing that very often going forward. That doesn't mean Armani won't or shouldn't ever bring the ball up. Thats a weapon to have a 3 or 4 that can bring it up. imo But he won't be running the pg very much. imo

And like you alluded to, the backup doesn't have to do much. Just be bring the ball up, get the offense started and play defense. I'd like to know what areas Phillips has been lacking in practice.

I still feel like Phillips will be that guy. In Barnes post game presser it sounded to me, like the offense functioned so poorly last night while Armani was running the pg, he won't be doing that very often going forward. That doesn't mean Armani won't or shouldn't ever bring the ball up. Thats a weapon to have a 3 or 4 that can bring it up. imo But he won't be running the pg very much. imo

And like you alluded to, the backup doesn't have to do much. Just be bring the ball up, get the offense started and play defense. I'd like to know what areas Phillips has been lacking in practice.

I asked in another thread but didn't get an answer

Did moore play any point vs Huntsville or ashville?

If not that was a big mistake not preparing for how we were going to play when the rotation was trimmed down

I asked in another thread but didn't get an answer

Did moore play any point vs Huntsville or ashville?

If not that was a big mistake not preparing for how we were going to play when the rotation was trimmed down

I'm not sure. Last night was the 1st game I've been able to watch. Barnes didn't hold many punches with his criticism of Armani and his time at the point last niight tho. :puke5:

Did Phillips play at all last night ? I don't remember seeing him in the game.

Did Phillips play at all last night ? I don't remember seeing him in the game.

He didn't

That's why I am interested to know if moore had played any pg before last night

You would think he would have being the #2 guy

I think it's a definite win if Turner is eligible, and if this team loses Punter for any period like it did last night Turner may be worth 2-3 wins easy.

I'm not sure. Last night was the 1st game I've been able to watch. Barnes didn't hold many punches with his criticism of Armani and his time at the point last niight tho. :puke5:

I am not one to get worked up about a coach calling out his players in the media but that hasn't been well recieved around here is the past.

IMO punter deserved to get some real criticism as well. 4TOs and in reality another 2-3 where he drove in a wildly had his shot block or missed badly.

I am not one to get worked up about a coach calling out his players in the media but that hasn't been well recieved around here is the past.

IMO punter deserved to get some real criticism as well. 4TOs and in reality another 2-3 where he drove in a wildly had his shot block or missed badly.

Totally agree with your first part. And don;t disagree with your second. But he kinda did. He mentioned having 10 turnovers from your 2 main guys, and that you just can't have that. Didn't call him by name, but it told me who he was talking about. :)

Totally agree with your first part. And don;t disagree with your second. But he kinda did. He mentioned having 10 turnovers from your 2 main guys, and that you just can't have that. Didn't call him by name, but it told me who he was talking about. :)

K. I saw a tweet last night about it but couldn't find a direct quote

No big deal IMO

FTR, I don't have a problem with a coach calling out his players through the media if he also praises them when its due. Players are tougher than VN likes to give them credit for. Whatever it takes to motivate guys I'm all for. jmo

Said it was stuff the staff hadn't seen.
We watched Armani dribble the ball off his own foot or pass to one on the other team quite often last season.
Reason most were saying, Moore at the point?

Simple truth is this team can't afford to lose really any out of their main 9, but most definitely can't lose Moore or Punter, there just isn't anyone close to their level to fill in. If this team can stay healthy I think they can win ~18 games, if we continue to have to play stretches without Moore/Punter then it's going to be a struggle to win 15.

Reactions: 1 person

The grammar police say that "Irregardless" is not a word. They say you should have used " regardless". I'm just messing with you. 🙂

Turner...hell, who knows. Punter had cramps. They were playing school ground ball, out of control, mistakes all over the place. Damn, I enjoyed it. Man, they were getting after it.:eek:lol:
Coach Barnes has something to work with until he can get another recruiting cycle under his belt. Too many unknowns right now.

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back