Over, Under, or on Par performances

BruinVol

I thought it would be intersting to keep a running count of our game by game performances throughout the year.

I will keep a running count of each game in the OP of our overall performance in terms of our team effort in terms of underachieving, overachieving, or playing right at par.

We can discuss where the performance lies before I place it into the tally in the OP.

Underachieving games:
Unc Ashville(did have 1 par vote)
Marshall(moved after seeing how pathetic a team they are for a 2nd straight year)
Nebraska
TSU
At Auburn
At Georgia
Vandy
At Bama
Tcu
At Arkansas
At Mizzu
Arkansas
Ole miss

Par games:
Ga Tech
Gardner Webb
George Washington
FAU
Etsu
A&M
At Kentucky
At Vandy

Overachieving games:
Army
Butler
Gonzaga
Florida
At miss st
USCe
Kentucky
Auburn
Lsu
Vandy SeC tourney
Lsu sec tourney

Last edited:
I assume the majority would agree the ashville game was an underachieving performance.

Unless that is refuted I will put it into the op soon.

Wins and losses work for me...UNC=win...:salute:

GO VOLS!

I understand that is the bottom line but with this OOC schedule we will need to see more than just wins to think we are going to have a successful season.

On the flip side games like tonight offer games where improvement and signs of encouragement could come even with a loss

It is difficult to judge under or over performing this early in the season. If UNCA ended up as conference champs and have a great year then we over performed. If UNCA gets stomped on all year then we will probably get stomped on all year.

Reactions: 1 person
It is difficult to judge under or over performing. If UNCA ended up as conference champs and have a great year then we over performed. If UNCA gets stomped on all year then we will probably get stomped on all year.

Good point

I have no problem changing the slot I put the specific Game as the season goes on.

Ashville just lost to western carolina a team that lost by 25 to Cincy so I think it's safe to put that game in the underachieving column

Good point

I have no problem changing the slot I put the specific Game as the season goes on.

Ashville just lost to western carolina a team that lost by 25 to Cincy so I think it's safe to put that game in the underachieving column

Good, it will be good to go back and evaluate.

I vote par for UNCA game. Unfortunately this may be what we are this year. Hopefully Kasango helps and I think he would have made a difference versus UNCA on the defensive end.

The more interesting discussion might be what should the ratio look like at years end in order to feel good about the coaching

IMO

5 under achieving games
16 par games
10 over achieving

That ratio would make me feel like we were well coached

The more interesting discussion might be what should the ratio look like at years end in order to feel good about the coaching

IMO

5 under achieving games
16 par games
10 over achieving

That ratio would make me feel like we were well coached

The main thing I hope for this year in continuing improvement. Are we better in February than we are now and are the young guys improving? Sure I want wins, but are we going forward. Last year I did not see that.

The main thing I hope for this year in continuing improvement. Are we better in February than we are now and are the young guys improving? Sure I want wins, but are we going forward. Last year I did not see that.

I agree and I don't think wins/losses always measures that. That is why I think this thread will be interesting. Before the season started I thought tonight needed to be a win but I don't think tonight will tell us that much if we lose. Ga tech on the road is a tough game. If we play better defense and rebound but still lose tonight will be encouraging IMO

It is difficult to judge under or over performing this early in the season. If UNCA ended up as conference champs and have a great year then we over performed. If UNCA gets stomped on all year then we will probably get stomped on all year.

I still don't think beating them would be considered an overchievement unless they finished something like 31-3 and went to the Sweet 16.

Outside of those extreme circumstances, beating a team like UNCA should be expected. If they win their conference and make the tourney, then maybe that win is considered "on par", but based on what we know as of now, I'd call it an underachievement, especially because we couldn't put them away when we had the chances.

I still don't think beating them would be considered an overchievement unless they finished something like 31-3 and went to the Sweet 16.

Outside of those extreme circumstances, beating a team like UNCA should be expected. If they win their conference and make the tourney, then maybe that win is considered "on par", but based on what we know as of now, I'd call it an underachievement, especially because we couldn't put them away when we had the chances.

Dominating the game in all phases would be overachieving.

Winning by double digits with a few areas of concerns would be on par.

Winning by 4 and trailing late is underachieving.

That's how I am defining such a game as ashville

Dominating the game in all phases would be overachieving.

Winning by double digits with a few areas of concerns would be on par.

Winning by 4 and trailing late is underachieving.

That's how I am defining such a game as ashville

I think it will be tough to rate games against opponents like UNCA as an overachievement at any point without hindsight as your barometer.

If we had won in all phases and beaten them by 20, is that really an overachievement? Or is that exactly what we should do to a team like that. I rue the day we (fans), as a program, don't expect to bully opponents like that.

I think it will be tough to rate games against opponents like UNCA as an overachievement at any point without hindsight as your barometer.

If we had won in all phases and beaten them by 20, is that really an overachievement? Or is that exactly what we should do to a team like that. I rue the day we (fans), as a program, don't expect to bully opponents like that.

Good point.

There is no exact science for sure. If there is enough discussion I will go with the majority wins on each game.

Good point.

There is no exact science for sure. If there is enough discussion I will go with the majority wins on each game.

For the record, we are in agreement that this performance is an underachievement based on what we know now.

Par is my vote for tonight's performance

Great physical effort. Played hard as hell

Hit the boards hard

Defense was improved.

Poor shooting night.

Absolutely pitiful offensive structure when it was needed which was most of the last 10min. Every basket isn't going to in the fast break and the Barnes ability to get shots for guys reminded me of jerry green.

16TOs and only 9 assist. That's Pathetic half
Court offensive coaching. There has to be some baskets created by coaching. Tonight that was a very poorly coached half court offensive team.

I vote par as well for tonight, but leaning towards under achieving. Felt like we should have one that game if a few bounces went our way. Or if we had decided to stop taking contested layups while doing a fade away with a guy that's 4 inches taller than you almost blocking your shot. That was getting on my nerves, but for half of the second half, that's all we did. I did like the effort though. With a little more consistency and better shot selection we could win a good amount of games this year.

Par.

Expected some sloppy offense. But lots of effort and hustle which kept UT alive at times. Some really good defense, some really disorganized defense too.

Par.

Expected some sloppy offense. But lots of effort and hustle which kept UT alive at times. Some really good defense, some really disorganized defense too.

I was pleased with our defense and really happy with how hard we played.

Gives me hope we can win some 50/50 games even when we don't shoot well .

I was pleased with our defense and really happy with how hard we played.

Gives me hope we can win some 50/50 games even when we don't shoot well .

Pleased with our defense? How so?

We played hard but our defense was bad.

Offense was a turnover mess but that's to be expected with no point guard.

Felt like it was a somewhat par performance last night. It's about what I expected. We got killed in the post and they didn't have a ton of shooters so I'm confused why we didn't double down more in the first half.

Pleased with our defense? How so?

We played hard but our defense was bad.

Offense was a turnover mess but that's to be expected with no point guard.

We gave up less than 1pt per Possession which I think it a pretty good indicator of how well a defense plays against an equal or superior team

Also our rebounding was extremely solid which I lump into the defensive side of things.

VN Store

Back