New Rules/New game?

BruinVol

30 second clock and more regulations against the physical type defenses coming this season

Many think this means a soft full court press to slow the team down from getting into their offense is going to be used a lot. Perhaps even dropping back into zone(sound familiar?) Some of the talking heads saying this is the formula for success and actually will slow the game down.

Does this favor us in that we are going to try to force tempo?

Will we play this type of defense at all?

I have no pride I am going to bump my own thread.

Very surprised as many talks about nothing here as we have no one wants to discuss the new rules.

I found it intersting that the talking heads think the new rules would might actually slow the game down because teams will show token pressure to make teams take longer to get into their offensive sets.

Just curious how you guys think this fits our team?

I heard Kevin Stallings made the comment "games can no longer be won in the weight room."

What are your thoughts Bruin?

I heard Kevin Stallings made the comment "games can no longer be won in the weight room."

What are your thoughts Bruin?

Thanks freak. I needed a friend! Lol

It's supposed to make freedom of motion much better for sure. I would have to think the fact we likely won't be able to overpower people with our big guys this has to be a good thing for us.

Thanks freak. I needed a friend! Lol

It's supposed to make freedom of motion much better for sure. I would have to think the fact we likely won't be able to overpower people with our big guys this has to be a good thing for us.

I've always had an issue with moving screens and I'm glad that's an area that's supposed to be addressed. I also like the idea of punishing players who fake fouls.

Did you happen to notice the experimental rule about six fouls in the post-season tournaments other than the Division I Basketball Championship? Not sure I like that idea at all.

I've always had an issue with moving screens and I'm glad that's an area that's supposed to be addressed. I also like the idea of punishing players who fake fouls.

Did you happen to notice the experimental rule about six fouls in the post-season tournaments other than the Division I Basketball Championship? Not sure I like that idea at all.

I missed that. Does make some sense especially if they are really going to start calling it so much closely

Two new rules will affect TN since we don't have an experienced point guard. Coaches can no longer call time out while the ball is live. The other will be a big problem... 10 seconds TOTAL to get the ball across mid court. The 10 seconds won't reset with a time out or when the defense deflects the ball out of bounds.

Dropping the 5 second rule when dribbling. That will help a little while TN has the ball.

No flopping. The circle under the basket is larger. Guys that drive to the basket will benefit from these two.

Women's game will look different. 4x 10 minute quarters instead of the 2x 20 minute half.

NCAA changes shot clock to 30 seconds, makes other changes to game | NCAA.com

Two new rules will affect TN since we don't have an experienced point guard. Coaches can no longer call time out while the ball is live. The other will be a big problem... 10 seconds TOTAL to get the ball across mid court. The 10 seconds won't reset with a time out or when the defense deflects the ball out of bounds.

Dropping the 5 second rule when dribbling. That will help a little while TN has the ball.

No flopping. The circle under the basket is larger. Guys that drive to the basket will benefit from these two.

Women's game will look different. 4x 10 minute quarters instead of the 2x 20 minute half.

I like the 4 10 minute quarters. Think it'd be exciting.

Love the 10sec rule for sure

Explain the no time outs when the ball is live?

Only can be called when the ball is dead?

Wasn't it 8 seconds to get it past half court before? Or is that just highschool/NBA or any other league?

Love the 10sec rule for sure

Explain the no time outs when the ball is live?

Only can be called when the ball is dead?

The coaches can't call a "rescue" time out if their ball handler is trapped. I guess it will also affect end of half and end of game strategy. It seems that the players will still be able to call TOs though with a live ball, so at worst at the end of the periods only an extra second would tick off as long as the players are effectively communicating with the bench.

The coaches can't call a "rescue" time out if their ball handler is trapped. I guess it will also affect end of half and end of game strategy. It seems that the players will still be able to call TOs though with a live ball, so at worst at the end of the periods only an extra second would tick off as long as the players are effectively communicating with the bench.

Thanks

Then I love that rule as well. Makes the make better IMO

The 10sec rule and this isn't good for us if we can't handle the pressure of full court pressure. I would think it's worth following in that punter didn't like that ball pressure last year at all

I think that for a season of two the 10 second rule required that the ball had to be across the mid court line and caught within 10 seconds. Thankfully now, the ball just needs to be out of the offensive players hands within 10 seconds if they are in the back court. We'll still be able to fling a pass at the 9.9 second count and not have a violation.

I don't understand the rule change for the Womens game or for the Mens game either,I don't understand why the NCAA thinks that scoring more points makes for a better game

i guess they like seeing teams run up and down the floor and chunk the ball up as fast as they can

I don't understand the rule change for the Womens game or for the Mens game either,I don't understand why the NCAA thinks that scoring more points makes for a better game

i guess they like seeing teams run up and down the floor and chunk the ball up as fast as they can

Yep. I like Ray Mears ball and early Devoe too. I don't get the fascination with college basketball being a track meet. When every team plays fast, every team looks similar. UNLV and Phi Slama Jama wouldn't have been nearly as memorable if every team played like them 30 years ago.

Reactions: 1 person
The college game will not open up until they install defensive three seconds and spread the three point line out farther. There are too many good shot blockers now. They talk about limiting physicality on defense for years but it always goes back to ugly basketball. You have to open driving lanes for pretty offensive basketball (if that is the goal).

I started this thread after seeing Seth Greenberg express his thoughts on espn that the new rules would actually slow up the game.

Early reports to see to be that he couldn't have been more wrong. Butler scored 144 last night and ga tech scored over 100 as well. Crazy high scoring games out there.

Anybody seen a scoring average compared to last years first few nights of action?

I started this thread after seeing Seth Greenberg express his thoughts on espn that the new rules would actually slow up the game.

Early reports to see to be that he couldn't have been more wrong. Butler scored 144 last night and ga tech scored over 100 as well. Crazy high scoring games out there.

Anybody seen a scoring average compared to last years first few nights of action?

Ken Pomerpy said it was the biggest margin in single day he's ever seen, Santa Clara scored 33 and Butler 144, 111 point spread.

Could be that five fewer seconds isn't enough to alter offensive philosophies but does rush teams into taking quicker shots. Also, it's easier to keep the defensive pressure and concentration up for entire possessions.

Could be that five fewer seconds isn't enough to alter offensive philosophies but does rush teams into taking quicker shots. Also, it's easier to keep the defensive pressure and concentration up for entire possessions.

SethG said that the 30sec play clock would actually slow the game up.

3/4 court press that takes 7-9sec to get past half court. Settle into a zone and teams will
Have to take bad 3s late in the shot clock

I didn't think he was correct with some of these scores we have seen but if there has only been a 2pt difference he may prove correct in time

VN Store

Back