CRBs style of play here

Lefteye

I rarely make threads. But I'm tired of thinking and talking about the game Saturday. And this place hasn't had much to discuss recently, so I thought I'd ask your folks opinion on a question I have.

Will CRB keep the same conventional style of play as he had at Texas, or will he mix up his style of play to try and create more pts off turnovers and make us harder to scout? Here's a good article from back in April and they had a quote from coach saying "we want to play fast offensively".Rick Barnes wants Tennessee playing 'national schedule' | Times Free Press

I have always liked the fact he will switch defenses and doesn't get stubborn with one or the other. But I'd like to see us play fast defensively also(pressing on occasion with double teams in the half court), to try and get some pts off turnovers. Thoughts?

Reactions: 2 people
I am no expert but I would say that with the team strength being on the wings, getting into transition off of steals would be the way to go. So I agree with you on that.

Tyndall was dead set on his matchup zone, Martin was hell bent on man until his final year, even Pearl was dead set on man press and rarely played zone...it will be nice to have a coach willing to adjust off the get go, will install man and zone, and will mix it up through out games to hault spurts.

Reactions: 2 people
Tyndall was dead set on his matchup zone, Martin was hell bent on man until his final year, even Pearl was dead set on man press and rarely played zone...it will be nice to have a coach willing to adjust off the get go, will install man and zone, and will mix it up through out games to hault spurts.

I felt like Pearl's style for us, at the time, was perfect. The full court press is how teams with lesser talent compete against teams with more talent in college basketball (and at the high school level, assuming the talent gap isn't vastly different.)

Remember, the best teams Pearl ever had, and even the tourney run we made, he switched his style up to suit the players.

I think Rick Barnes will do the same, he'll coach to the players, not pull a CCM or a Tyndall and try to force his system on them. At least until he has his players in for his system.

VN Store

Back