Vitale on Rick Barnes

Regardless on your opinion of Dickey V, it's nice to have a positive outlook around the basketball program for a change.

I'm excited to see some stability in the program. What a weird 5 years.

Reactions: 3 people
I sure hope Coach Barns is successful. But we are not doing well in recruiting. Over the first 1 & 1/2 recruiting periods we have been beaten by all three of the other New SEC coaches. See Below:

Bama- 1-5 stars 1-4 stars
Gators- 3-4 stars
Miss State- 1-5 star 3-4 star
Vols- 0-5 star 0-4star

I trust Coach Barns as a coach but we have struggle in recruiting at the beginning of his tenure.

Maybe these 3 stars we are signing are really good players! I sure hope so. Go Vols!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Most be a slow day for Coach Cal, since Dickie V failed to mention his Idol at least once in an article.

Reactions: 3 people
I think he came here about 5 years to late, he will never be able to land the top recruits here, but the others ones couldn"t either, just like UK in football we will never be able to compete year in year out for the SEC, every 4 or 5 years make a run to the sweet 16 is about what this program is, i go back as far as Ray Mears thats our history, i hope i am wrong on this i dont no Basketball like i do football, do you basketball nuts think we can if so how do we do it, i will hang up and listen at least tell me a lie where i will have hope for the Basketball program.:)

Last edited:
I think he came here about 5 years to late, he will never be able to land the top recruits here, but the others ones couldn"t either, just like UK in football we will never be able to compete year in year out for the SEC, every 4 or 5 years make a run to the sweet 16 is about what this program is, i go back as far as Ray Mears thats our history, i hope i am wrong on this i dont no Basketball like i do football, do you basketball nuts think we can if so how do we do it, i will hang up and listen at least tell me a lie where i will have hope for the Basketball program.:)

Making a run to the Sweet 16 every '4 or 5 years" is better than UK does in football.

And I personally don't give a rip if you believe in the basketball program or not. Either grow a sack and get on board or go root for Duke.

Reactions: 7 people

The guy that was here about 6 years ago pretty much proved this theory is bunk. He had us on the way when he crapped out.

Reactions: 1 person

The situation when Barnes took over at Texas wasn't all that different. They had one fairly recent Elite Eight, one very recent Sweet Sixteen, and not much else of note since the '40s. We'll be fine.

VQ saying they expect to hear something this coming week, and possibly as soon as Monday. The vibe seems to be he will be ruled ineligible for the 1st semester though.

Possibly a Stokes type entrance?
Hope it has the same effect if it happens.

VN Store

Back