Miami Heat: What's Josh Richardson's Role?

iKrager

For those DYING until kickoff against Oklahoma, and wanting something to kill the time, this is the perfect article for you.

The Heat value Richardson so much that they traded Zoran Dragic and Shabazz Napier away with draft picks and cash for nothing in return to create the roster room to keep him. Zoran, no big deal. But Napier was the Heat's first round selection last year that they also traded picks to acquire him, and now he's off with nothing in return.

It may sound foolish, or it could sound like a lot of trust in Richardson, the 4-year guard out of Tennessee.

But here's the question: what will Josh Richardson's role look like for the Miami Heat this season? If he plays point guard, he's behind Goran Dragic and Mario Chalmers. And if he plays the off-guard position, he is behind Dwyane Wade and Gerald Green and even Justise Winslow. And that puts him fighting with Tyler Johnson for playing time.

Read the full story for free: Miami Heat Rotation: What's Josh Richardson's Role?

Josh doing drills the with training staff:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwrvibpMaxM[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
He'll find a little playing time somewhere. The Heat gave up to much to get him on their active roster not to play him any.

Realistically I think he will see similar minutes to Jarnell last season or Tobias during his rookie year with the Bucks. The NBA has an adjustment period for most rookies, but within 2 years I see JR as a versatile backcourt option. I think during the regular season he will see 15-20 minutes a game at both PG and SG, but during the playoffs I see him guarding the opposing team's best player. Very similar to Thabo Sefolosha during his time with the Thunder if we're looking for a realistic comparison.

Probably see time at the 3 when the Heat go to a small lineup is my guess.

Heat have been trying to move Chalmers as well.

A first round pick they had time and money invested in says otherwise.

If you are talking about Bazz, he never should have been a first rounder to begin with. A first round pick they only took to try and make LBJ happy with. They sacrificed nothing at this point, except 2 below average players. And they saved future money and wasted time on those players, for a guy with real potential. Its a no brainer move.

If you are talking about Bazz, he never should have been a first rounder to begin with. A first round pick they only took to try and make LBJ happy with. They sacrificed nothing at this point, except 2 below average players. And they saved future money and wasted time on those players, for a guy with real potential. Its a no brainer move.

Yeah it's an excellent move on the Heats part. I agree, Bazz should of never been a first rounder. The fact is he was though, which goes back to my point.

As a first rounder the Heat had plenty of time and money invested in him. At this point in time the Heat may not be giving up or losing much by getting rid of him, but to suggest they aren't giving/losing anything just isn't true.

I shouldn't of said the Heat gave up a ton to secure Richardson's roster spot though. That isn't true/correct either. It was just an overstatement on my behalf.

Last edited:
An update from Josh Richardson after he visited Knoxville for the Oklahoma FB game.

In 10 summer league appearances, Richardson averaged 11.8 points per game, 2.8 rebounds, 1.6 assists and shot 38.6 percent from the 3-point line while playing under Heat assistant coach Dean Craig.

South Florida Sun-Sentinel columnist Ira Winderman wrote on July 19 that Richardson was "nothing short of a revelation, a picture of confidence whether cast at point guard or on the wing."

Richardson wasn't ready to take all the credit, though.

"I had good coaches and good teammates to play with," he said. "I was just trying to show teams that I was more valuable than maybe where I was projected in the whole process, just trying to get my name out there."

Those projections left Richardson without an invitation to the NBA's pre-draft combine in Chicago in May. He didn't flinch then or on draft night, when 39 players heard their name called ahead of his.

He was a constant in the program while everything around him was changing on and off the floor.

"It was tough, but I'm glad I went through it," Richardson said. "It was adversity. Adversity that made me a stronger player, made me a stronger person off the court. It was all happening for a reason.

"I think Coach Martin did a great job my first three years. I think Coach Tyndall came in and did a great job his year here. (I'm) thankful for everybody I played for while I was here. I think they made me as good of a player as I can be."

Josh Richardson prepares for rookie season with Miami - GoVolsXtra Story

I don't think he's at his peak yet, so I don't agree with him when he said UT coaches 'made him as good of a player as he can be'.

I don't think he's at his peak yet, so I don't agree with him when he said UT coaches 'made him as good of a player as he can be'.
I think he means that he wouldn't have been as good as a player without their coaching and guidance. He certainly wouldn't have been the same player had Donnie not forced him to run PG. It forced him to become a leader vocally and with his game.

Seen Josh at the Oklahoma game. I wish the kid nothing but luck and hope he sees meaningful minutes this season.

VN Store

Back