Funny set of tweets

The odds are extremely high that Grant Williams wont play pro basketball. An ivy League degree will open doors for him all over the world for the rest of his life.

As for Dobbs, it just so happens in his specialty that Tennessee is highly rated enough that he could pursue big time football and get a door opening education at the same time.

When you say pro basketball, do you mean all pro basketball or just the NBA?

The odds are extremely high that Grant Williams wont play pro basketball. An ivy League degree will open doors for him all over the world for the rest of his life.

As for Dobbs, it just so happens in his specialty that Tennessee is highly rated enough that he could pursue big time football and get a door opening education at the same time.

I disagree, I would say the odds are very much in Grant's favor that he will play professional basketball, and are you aware of Williams' degree of choice? Is it not possible it's similar to Dobbs situation?

As an aside, if Grant has a committable offer from Harvard, Princeton or Yale, he ought to jump on it with both feet.

All that glitters ain't gold. I was caught up in the Ivy League hype. Princeton football. Son came out a totally different person than when he went in....and not in a good way. I consider it one of the biggest mistakes I made as a parent.

Reactions: 2 people
All that glitters ain't gold. I was caught up in the Ivy League hype. Princeton football. Son came out a totally different person than when he went in....and not in a good way. I consider it one of the biggest mistakes I made as a parent.

If I get too personal that's fine here but I am very interested in the $ behind the IVY league financial aid offered. They basically have the same financial aid the Vandy has in baseball. Which if you follow my post in the baseball forum I am very much against

Those schools have the ability to meet "the full financial need" of the student.

Which means if the expected financial contribution(EFC) for each family is zero then the kid goes for free. I would assume that's how they get many FB/BB in the IVY league.

Would your experience suggest many of those kids there were going for very little $?????

If I get too personal that's fine here but I am very interested in the $ behind the IVY league financial aid offered. They basically have the same financial aid the Vandy has in baseball. Which if you follow my post in the baseball forum I am very much against

Those schools have the ability to meet "the full financial need" of the student.

Which means if the expected financial contribution(EFC) for each family is zero then the kid goes for free. I would assume that's how they get many FB/BB in the IVY league.

Would your experience suggest many of those kids there were going for very little $?????

Never mind, my apologies. You wanted info from somebody's kid that went to 1.

Last edited:
Not me.

Harvard basketball: How an elite academic institution became part of the problem with college sports.

"Harvard can now offer a great number of the nationÂ’s best basketball players the same thing as any other school: a free education and the chance to play in the NCAA tournament."

Yes that was part of my follow up question about their financial aid.

Pretty much if a kid is a pell grant recipient then they likely go to an ivy school for free if they can get admitted

You have to realize that "athletes" are not viewed the same way as they are at a school like UT or UGA. Most resent them as they're viewed as having gotten in through the back door. They're especially disliked by the instructors. Most keep the fact that they play a sport to themselves. They don't advertise. If you've been to an ivy football game, you can understand how it's possible to remain somewhat anonymous and play a sport at an Ivy League school. As for getting in, kids who have super grades and scores are a coaches dream. Where things get interesting are kids who are great athletes, but might not score at an Ivy level. A 1280 is something akin to a partial qualifier at an IVY school. Coaches are allowed only so many.

We got no financial aid and there is no athletic scholarship when my son played football at PU. My income disqualified us. I paid full tuition for 4 years. As a side note, they do insist that every kid graduate in 4 years. No exceptions. What I found odd was that job opportunities were available for the kids who received financial aid whereas my son couldn't get those jobs. I'd have thought a kid getting no aid would be first in line for those jobs. Didn't make sense.

One thing we kept hearing was how valuable that degree would be. Might not be something we'd appreciate right away, but in 5-10 years, doors would open that would make it all worthwhile. Hope that happens, but if I knew then what I know now, I'd have not let him attend an Ivy League school. Education was top flight. Sports were fun and some would argue....pure. No, those aren't issues wth me nor was it the money spent. What I regret is how my son was changed. Every kid grows up and matures in college. That's not what I'm referring to. Hard to put into words. He is simply not the same person at his core after four years at PU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
You have to realize that "athletes" are not viewed the same way as they are at a school like UT or UGA. Most resent them as they're viewed as having gotten in through the back door. They're especially disliked by the instructors. Most keep the fact that they play a sport to themselves. They don't advertise. If you've been to an ivy football game, you can understand how it's possible to remain somewhat anonymous and play a sport at an Ivy League school. As for getting in, kids who have super grades and scores are a coaches dream. Where things get interesting are kids who are great athletes, but might not score at an Ivy level. A 1280 is something akin to a partial qualifier at an IVY school. Coaches are allowed only so many.

We got no financial aid and there is no athletic scholarship when my son played football at PU. My income disqualified us. I paid full tuition for 4 years. As a side note, they do insist that every kid graduate in 4 years. No exceptions. What I found odd was that job opportunities were available for the kids who received financial aid whereas my son couldn't get those jobs. I'd have thought a kid getting no aid would be first in line for those jobs. Didn't make sense.

One thing we kept hearing was how valuable that degree would be. Might not be something we'd appreciate right away, but in 5-10 years, doors would open that would make it all worthwhile. Hope that happens, but if I knew then what I know now, I'd have not let him attend an Ivy League school. Education was top flight. Sports were fun and some would argue....pure. No, those aren't issues wth me nor was it the money spent. What I regret is how my son was changed. Every kid grows up and matures in college. That's not what I'm referring to. Hard to put into words. He is simply not the same person at his core after four years at PU.

Great post!

I pray your son achieves his full potential!

My guess is he returns to his upbringing like most do soon enough!

Back to the original note, I wonder which 5 or 6 schools Rob Lanier thinks are wasting their time with Grant Williams?

Not sure but I can't figure out a good reason for such a tweet. Not sure I like it. Seems combative to me and I don't see a reason for it

Thanks for sharing. And I agree those without financial aid should also be offered job opportunities. That's garbage

Thanks for sharing. And I agree those without financial aid should also be offered job opportunities. That's garbage

When you take tuition along with all the other expenses, we were spending over $60k per year at PU. A job wouldn't have made a huge impact, but a little help would have been nice especially since we had another child at an SEC school at the same time for 2 of those years. Very hard times financially. Kids both graduated with zero school debt hanging over their heads. I didn't want them to struggle with that like I did. Didn't pay off my UT and post grad education until I was 42. Painful at the time, but I'm glad God blessed me with the ability to do that for them.

1.9% of college bball players go to the NBA...

I'd say the % of Harvard grads making over 150K is slightly higher than that...

I agree, the kid should take Ivy league any day. Unless my kid was a phenom, I'd tell him the same thing.

I disagree, I would say the odds are very much in Grant's favor that he will play professional basketball, and are you aware of Williams' degree of choice? Is it not possible it's similar to Dobbs situation?

2nd question first - it is possible that Williams degree choice could work to his advantage at Tennessee. Unless it is aeronautical engineering, though, it isn't likely.

As for pro basketball, even the NBDL is a daunting challenge. If he wants to play in Asia or South America or one of Eastern Euro leagues, maybe. But I don't know many folks who would turn down the Ivy League to do one of those things.

VN Store

Back