Could Jauan help us at the point?

SeniorDrill

Do you all remember the days when Ron Widby in his senior year (1966-67), my freshman year at ETSU, was a first team All American in both football and basketball? He led the nation in punting average at 43.8 yards per game and averaged 22.1 ppg and 8.7 rpg leading the Vols to a conference title and was the SEC's basketball player of the year?
Why doesn't that happen anymore? Some of our football players are star basketball players in their own right. This came from an article on Jauan Jennings (6'4", 202), the quarterback now turned wide receiver for the football Vols. Could he provide needed depth at the point especially when the SEC season begins in January? That is the question?
"Three days into preseason practice, first-year Vols offensive coordinator Mike DeBord said Thursday that Jennings has proved to be “very athletic” and “a very good addition” at wide receiver after recently moving from quarterback to improve the Vols’ depth at receiver.
“He’s very athletic. He’s big, tall, and he’s kind of like what we have there. And he’s got great speed. He’s tough,” DeBord said of Jennings following UT’s first practice in helmets and shoulder pads Thursday evening.
“I mean, everybody saw him in our spring football game and how tough he was when he ran the ball and things like that, so he’s been a very good addition.
“He’s an athlete. I mean, he was a great high-school basketball player, and he was athletic at quarterback. And I know what you’re talking about. Receivers sometimes have to do things a little bit different with athleticism, but he’s displayed that.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Funny story; my old highschool had a quarterback that played point guard, he forgot which sport he was playing and tackled the other point guard. It was pretty funny.

Inb4 cool story bro.

Funny story; my old highschool had a quarterback that played point guard, he forgot which sport he was playing and tackled the other point guard. It was pretty funny.

Inb4 cool story bro.

So you're telling us your quarterback was really, really stupid.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't think it will happen. The days of dual sport athletes in college have always been few and far between (with he exception of FB and track and field). Playing college sports demands a lot of time and coaches don't want the players getting injured playing another sport. I think USCjr had a guy play both several years ago though. I don't think Butch would go for it.

Not gonna happen, would be completely unnecessary as well seeing as how Lamonte Turner and Shembari Phillips are both more than capable.

Jauan needs to focus on WR. His future is in football first, not basketball. He's not a difference-maker in basketball at the college level.

He was a very good HS basketball player. Saw him play quite a bit. He is nowhere near an SEC level PG. And his outside shot is not good enough to play SG. He would be a slashing SF that lacked ideal size.

The guy who thinks Lamonte Turner isn't ready because some of the sites call him a combo guard wants to turn the PG job over to a guy who played small forward in high school?

Reactions: 3 people
Don't think it will happen. The days of dual sport athletes in college have always been few and far between (with he exception of FB and track and field). Playing college sports demands a lot of time and coaches don't want the players getting injured playing another sport. I think USCjr had a guy play both several years ago though. I don't think Butch would go for it.

Bruce Ellington. His case was interesting because he came in on a basketball scholarship, and only played a couple seasons of football, yet that is the sport he chose professionally, and he is currently a WR for the 49ers.

Miami University (OH) just had a 2nd round nfl draft pick even though he played football only 1 year. The first 4 years he was at school he was the best basketball player on the team. It makes you wonder why didn't do both the whole time because he had the athletic ability to be both the football and basketball teams best player

The guy who thinks Lamonte Turner isn't ready because some of the sites call him a combo guard wants to turn the PG job over to a guy who played small forward in high school?
Nobody said he wasn't ready. That is total baloney. I have only said he is not on the roster as of 8-8-15 and he will not start at the point in game 1. That is based on the facts, nothing else. If you notice in the OP, I said several of the football players were outstanding in basketball as is usually the case with multi-sport athletes. I have not researched his basketball career and was just posing a question for opinions. You have posted yours. The only thing I know is that he is good size for a point guard and an athlete and it is highly unlikely he could play both ways. By the way Ron Widby was a four sport star at Tennessee including golf and baseball. Wish some of you would stop doing backflips just to disagree with me. This could be a meaningful discussion.

Nobody said he wasn't ready. That is total baloney. I have only said he is not on the roster as of 8-8-15 and he will not start at the point in game 1. That is based on the facts, nothing else. If you notice in the OP, I said several of the football players were outstanding in basketball as is usually the case with multi-sport athletes. I have not researched his basketball career and was just posing a question for opinions. You have posted yours. The only thing I know is that he is good size for a point guard and an athlete and it is highly unlikely he could play both ways. By the way Ron Widby was a four sport star at Tennessee including golf and baseball. Wish some of you would stop doing backflips just to disagree with me. This could be a meaningful discussion.

Except your agenda gets in the way of a meaningful discussion. You want Turner to not play/ miss time, which might lead to a bad season, so you can gloat and tell everyone I told you so.

Bruce Ellington. His case was interesting because he came in on a basketball scholarship, and only played a couple seasons of football, yet that is the sport he chose professionally, and he is currently a WR for the 49ers.

Thanks, Chris. I kept thinking Ellington, but only remembered Wayne from UNC and knew that wasn't right.

Isn't that one fact and one opinion.

If it didn't exist it would be even more meaningful
Sour grapes because you didn't think of it? :) Whoops, I just killed the discussion. Forget it, there are not any players on the UT football team who could qualify on the UT basketball team. They would have to just be walk ons.

VN Store

Back