'16 GA SG Josh Okogie (GT commit 10/13/15)

@CallMe_NonStop: I have reached my final four colleges, and they are listed in Alphabetical Order!

1. Georgia Tech
2. Kansas State
3. Tennessee
4. Tulsa

class of 2016 was Shiloh (GA) wing Josh Okogie, who had a tremendous summer with a very good CP3 team on the Nike EYBL Circuit.

Okogie has become a popular recruit with a lot of high major schools, drawing a lot of interest. Okogie tells HoopSeen that he is high on Temple, Tulsa, ECU, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Kansas State, and Tennessee.

However, three of those really stand enough for Okogie to plan visits this fall.

“I’m planning on a Kansas State and Tennessee visit soon and possibly an ECU visit too,” Okogie told HoopSeen.

Other than these three schools, Tulsa and Georgia Tech are also in the mix for Okogie and could be factors in his recruitment as well.

-HoopSeen

Snellville (Ga.) Shiloh small forward Josh Okogie isn't necessarily a household name in basketball recruiting circles despite playing on a high-profile travel team with Team CP3 and being very productive throughout the travel season. But just because he's not highly ranked or talked about much nationally doesn't mean he's lacking for options when it comes to picking a school to play for at the next level.

Offers rolled in from around the country for the three-star prospect, and he recently trimmed his list to five schools: Florida, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Tennessee and Tulsa.

Florida is the most recent school to join that list and Mike White's staff is very familiar with him from their time recruiting him at Louisiana Tech.

Josh Okogie will visit Tennessee and Kansas State in September.
"Florida came in about two weeks ago," Okogie said. "They are new there and I'd like to be a part of that. They were recruiting me when they were at Louisiana Tech and they are going to bring that same style of play. That's the way I like to play."

Conference affiliation could help Georgia Tech keep the local product in-state.

"I feel like I can make an impact really early if I go there, and possibly start there. I like the idea of playing in the ACC. If it was up to me, I'd like to get away, but you can't go wrong playing in the ACC."

Kansas State has spent a lot of time recruiting in Georgia the past few years, but have yet to breakthrough with a commitment. Could Okogie be their first?

"They want me to come in and make an impact as a freshman. I'm really cool with the coaches over there. Bruce Weber has been there four years and been to the tournament a few times."

Tennessee wasted no time making Okogie a priority following the April recruiting periods.

"I really like their program. Rick Barnes is coming in there and he's a great coach with a great reputation, so I wouldn't mind playing for him."

Okogie sees Tulsa as a place he can make his mark early and he's very familiar with assistant coach Dennis Felton from his time as head coach at Georgia, but there is a concern with Tulsa.

"They will have like four guards graduating when I'm coming in. They like to run a lot of pick-and-roll in their offense. They've told me that the ball will be in my hands and I can make a lot of decisions with the ball, which would be really good. The only question there is the competition. The AAC is good, but it's not as good as the ACC or SEC."

At the moment, Okogie has two visits set. He'll see Tennessee on the weekend of Sept. 12 and he'll follow that up with a trip to Kansas State the next weekend. He also has an in-home visit planned with Georgia Tech when the contact period begins.

If Okogie sees and hears what he needs to with those schools, he won't hesitate to pull the trigger.

"I'm not going to be able to see all those schools on official visits. That would be way too much. I'll probably check out my top three. If I don't find a school after that, then I'll check out the other schools. By the time I see my top two or three, I'll probably know where I'm going to go."

Okogie remains open to all five schools and says he doesn't have a top three just yet. He's planning an early October decision.

"My role on the team will be important. I don't want to go somewhere I'll have to sit. I want somewhere I can help out. I don't have to start, but I want to play."

-Rivals

So just from his words it sounds like Tennessee and Kansas State are in his top 2-3, and he has a visit set for Oklahoma weekend.

Decent player. Most think he is Tech bound. He plays with great talent. I'll be glad when we are going for the Giles type players instead of the Okogies though.

He's impressive , nice jumper and good size . His handles need a little work , but we need this guy

Around Josh Richardson's rank. Not comparing skillsets. Just worth pointing. Would be a solid get regardless.

Very similar skill set actually, Okogie was known last year for his defense, his offense has started to come around and is what has gotten him ranked now.

Very similar skill set actually, Okogie was known last year for his defense, his offense has started to come around and is what has gotten him ranked now.

I didn't know that about his D, but I did feel his offense was eerily similar to Josh's at that same stage.

Reactions: 1 person
Nike Global Challenge Scouting Reports: Shooting Guards
July 21, 2015
Josh Okogie, 6-4, SG, Lagos, 2016 High School Class

It took all but one glance at Nigerian-born shooting guard Josh Okogie to dub him one of the most physically intriguing two-guard prospects at Nike Global Challenge. Standing at least 6' 4” with a strong frame, huge hands and what appeared to be a near 7-foot wingspan, Okogie instantly won the physical profile battle among shooting guards at the tournament. Although not overly tall, Okogie is strong, long, quick and explosive and showed flashes of a fairly impressive skill set.

Okogie lacked consistency throughout the tournament as he battled poor body language and decision making, but he proved comfortable handling the ball, can shoot it a little bit both off the catch and the bounce, and has monster potential on the defensive end.

While very lazy when not engaged, when Okogie is locked in he shows tremendous technique lifting his inside foot to fight over screens. He covers ground quickly as an on-ball defender and can constantly poke the ball away with his length. When focused, Okogie was without a doubt one of the best on ball perimeter defenders at the tournament while showing the ability to fly around off the ball, highlighted by several chase-down blocks in transition.

On the offensive end, Okogie was a bit of a mixed bag. For stretches (especially during his 22-point game versus China) he looked very comfortable with the ball, weaving through traffic in transition, finishing around the rim effectively in the half court, making pull up or spot jumpers (while sporting a low release point) and even finding a big underneath from time to time.

Okogie has outstanding speed in the open court, uses his length and athleticism to finish, and was able to knock down 5-of-13 shots from beyond the arc. When Okogie was going well, he looked like one of the best perimeter players at the tournament, but when he would string together a few bad plays, the wheels fell off.

Okogie had a six-turnover, 2-for-10 game vs USA East that was filled with forced passes, low percentage shots, bad body language and very little natural feel for the game. Over the course of three games Okogie racked up only three assists while committing 12 turnovers. His decision-making and feel for the game need quite a bit of work, as does his motor when things go wrong.

But from a physical tools and skill set standpoint, Okogie has plenty of upside and could end up being a steal for whatever college he attends as long as the head coach is able to reel him in a bit. It's tough to find shooting guards with size, strength, quickness and length who can handle, finish and shoot a little bit. Okogie is a work in progress, but he's without a doubt worth tracking as a sleeper type moving forward.
Source: DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Josh Okogie, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

Sounds like there's plenty of upside, Okogie sounds like he could turn into a real player if he can get his mental part of the game right. Really solid scouting report.

Just a good article on Josh.

It is what has made Okogie productive pretty much across the board this season, averaging 21 points, seven rebounds, three assists and three steals per game in helping the Generals (28-4) to not only their second Region 8-AAAAAA championship in the past two seasons, but their first Class AAAAAA state Final Four appearance.

“Josh is plain and simple,” Kim Rivers said. “You know what you’re going to get every night. You can rely on him the whole game. He’s not going to make a lot of mistakes. He’s probably one of the most poised kids his age that I’ve had an opportunity to coach.”

That poise is something that has served Okogie well long before his skill level had caught up to his size while he was coming up in Shiloh’s feeder program as a youth.

Boys Basketball Player of the Year: Okogie keeps it simple as Shiloh's floor general | Gwinnett Daily Post

This is the type of kid we should be going after. Just now starting to come into his own. The type of player who isn't going to peak at 17 years old.

Reactions: 1 person
I read that Georgia Tech ' s coach is on the hot seat this year. Maybe that gives us an advantage with Josh.

VN Store

Back