'16 TN F John Fulkerson (UT commit 11/6/15)

bleedingTNorange

Tennessee offered 7/21/15
6'8" 195lbs

Offer list:
Tennessee
UNC Asheville
Appalachian State
Ball State
Charlotte
Duquesne
East Tennessee State
Evansville
Gardner-Webb
George Mason
Middle Tennessee State
Navy
Northeastern
Samford
South Carolina Upstate.

Attended Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett, doing a prep year at Christ School in North Carolina.

https://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/john-fulkerson-sf-kingsport-tn-2016

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Apparently Fulkerson was offered about a week ago, looking like the staff asked this to be kept quiet, but Rick Lewis missed the memo.

Reactions: 2 people
Apparently Fulkerson was offered about a week ago, looking like the staff asked this to be kept quiet, but Rick Lewis missed the memo.

Normally, you'd do that if you (a) were afraid of scaring of another kid you are recruiting for the same spot or ( b) slow playing a prospect. Of the two scenarios (b) would make more sense here, but I'm not getting that vibe from the way Rob Lewis or BTO are reporting the story.

Reactions: 1 person
Normally, you'd do that if you (a) were afraid of scaring of another kid you are recruiting for the same spot or ( b) slow playing a prospect. Of the two scenarios (b) would make more sense here, but I'm not getting that vibe from the way Rob Lewis or BTO are reporting the story.

Could also mean you don't want other schools to know you offered. Once a staff like UT makes an official offer, other big schools at least take notice.

Gary Parrish was telling a story about Jeremy Lamb on the AAU circuit. He was watching Lamb with Mark Fox. Lamb had not been highly recruited for most of high school, UGA had offered (instate prospect), and Fox hoped that he could stay under he radar. Soon thereafter, Russ Springman asked Rick Barnes to watch, and after Barnes watches 5 minutes, they offer. Lamb ends up at UConn.

All that said, we don't know the reason for wanting to keep it quiet.

Could also mean you don't want other schools to know you offered. Once a staff like UT makes an official offer, other big schools at least take notice.

Gary Parrish was telling a story about Jeremy Lamb on the AAU circuit. He was watching Lamb with Mark Fox. Lamb had not been highly recruited for most of high school, UGA had offered (instate prospect), and Fox hoped that he could stay under he radar. Soon thereafter, Russ Springman asked Rick Barnes to watch, and after Barnes watches 5 minutes, they offer. Lamb ends up at UConn.

All that said, we don't know the reason for wanting to keep it quiet.

Fwiw this is what I gathered, the staff asked it to be kept quiet to hopefully keep him under the radar, even though Rick Lewis mentioned it nobody else has acknowledged it and Fulkerson hasn't said a word on it.

Fwiw this is what I gathered, the staff asked it to be kept quiet to hopefully keep him under the radar, even though Rick Lewis mentioned it nobody else has acknowledged it and Fulkerson hasn't said a word on it.

I can see the staff wanting to do that. What would be a prospect's motivation to go along? If the offer is commitable, commit and take all that under the radar stuff off the table. If the prospect isn't ready to commit, it's in his interest to be as high above the radar as possible.

Not jumping on you BTO, just noting a curious development.

Probably because they didn't want the fan base b***** honestly. Lol

Actually, that makes some sense. Kid is offered, commits, bUT the staff wants to keep it on the down low until they get some higher profile commitments. Again, not sure why the kid would go along unless they threatened to pull the offer if he spilled the beans.

I can see the staff wanting to do that. What would be a prospect's motivation to go along? If the offer is commitable, commit and take all that under the radar stuff off the table. If the prospect isn't ready to commit, it's in his interest to be as high above the radar as possible.

Yea, I thought about the kid's angle, too. Don't know. Maybe he really likes UT but just doesn't want to commit yet.

Oh I agree completely which is why I found it odd, but if you look at Fulkerson's Twitter he clearly is going along, he hasn't posted ANYTHING about getting the offer, so obviously there's some sort of reason, just not sure what.

I live in Kingsport. Never heard of this kid until a few weeks ago. He probably had good numbers at DB, but I don't really remember his name on the local sports page,

Ok. Are you not a little concerned that he's going after a Kid with that offer list?

As I've said a few times, if this kid is the worst player we sign in the 2016 class I'm perfectly fine with it. His offer list has pretty much all formed in the last month, clearly shows he's a player on the rise, other HMs have began recruiting him and I would guess after this last live period of the summer he'll add a few more offers. He's a guy who I think will end up ranked in the ~200 range when all is said and done, and in a 5-7 man class im ok with that being the worst.

Now....if he's the headliner of the class, I've got a major issue with it yes.

As I've said a few times, if this kid is the worst player we sign in the 2016 class I'm perfectly fine with it. His offer list has pretty much all formed in the last month, clearly shows he's a player on the rise, other HMs have began recruiting him and I would guess after this last live period of the summer he'll add a few more offers. He's a guy who I think will end up ranked in the ~200 range when all is said and done, and in a 5-7 man class im ok with that being the worst.

Now....if he's the headliner of the class, I've got a major issue with it yes.

You have to consider the timing of the offer when predicting where he might fit in the class. IMO offering a mid major talent in the summer is way to early to give it the benefit of the doubt

BTO you even suggested CRB shouldn't take mid major talents to fill a huge need at PG last class but now you are having a wait and see approach. Interesting change of heart

It has been a while since UT has had a player from DB........ Buck Van Huss and George Pitts used to have some good coaching matchups against each other and it is good to see CRB and his staff trying to lock down the state in recruiting.

I'm not racist, but I didn't know he was white. I was honestly surprised to see he's a white guy, but thats cool. In the below quote it says he tied the block single-season record at 93 (a little less than 3bpg) and averaged 10ppg and 6.1rpg.

Christ School rising senior John Fulkerson, left, tied a single-season school record for blocks (93) last season.
Christ School rising senior John Fulkerson likes a good block as much as anybody.

But he's accepting a lot of phone calls lately from Division I college basketball coaches.
Fulkerson has no less than 15 scholarship offers to choose from as the 6-foot-8, 195-pound forward from Kingsport, Tenn., prepares for one last season with the Greenies.

The University of Tennessee made its pitch Tuesday.

UNC Asheville has also offered, as have Appalachian State, Ball State, Charlotte, Duquesne, East Tennessee State, Evansville, Gardner-Webb, George Mason, Middle Tennessee State, Navy, Northeastern, Samford and South Carolina Upstate.
Fulkerson is currently a member of the Tennessee Bobcats AAU program. Most of his offers have come this summer on the travel circuit.

"I like (the attention) a lot," Fulkerson said.
"This is my third year of playing (for the Bobcats). I know a lot of the players and it's the same coach. They know my strengths and we all play really well together."

Fulkerson tied a single-season school record with 93 blocks last season for the Carolinas Athletic Association champion regular-season and tournament champion Greenies (24-9).

He also led the team in scoring (10.0 points per game) and rebounding (6.1 rpg.).

Read more:
Fulkerson's stock soaring at Christ School

Fairly sure the Christ School is where the Plumlees played. They produce a decent amount of small school basketball players.

So..,. You calling us small? Haha jk.

That offer list has a Cuonzo/Tyndall kinda vibe. I just thought with RB's history, he wouldn't be recruiting against ETSU and SC Upstate

It's a little disappointing ......IMO. He should be a walking on.

That offer list has a Cuonzo/Tyndall kinda vibe. I just thought with RB's history, he wouldn't be recruiting against ETSU and SC Upstate

It's a little disappointing ......IMO. He should be a walking on.

It's definitely not a good sign when you go to YouTube and a player you are recruiting doesn't have a video.

VN Store

Back