Report: Heat to make offer to Josh Richardson after strong summer league

iKrager

FoxSports just reported this about 45 minutes ago. Sounds like the Heat want Richardson, they just don't have the roster space.

No one stood out more for Miami than second-round pick Josh Richardson, who controlled the offense, ran the open court with Justise Winslow, and made his mark in the passing lanes and on-ball on the defensive end. All told, he made a strong case for the Heat adding him to their roster next season.

The problem is that Miami's roster is full right now; trading Chris Andersen and Mario Chalmers would likely be necessary for Richardson to have a spot on the 15-man squad next season.

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that the Heat will likely offer Richardson a contract, but that they might need to stash him overseas for a year -- a condition to which Richardson might not be amenable:
"The Heat will make rookie guard Josh Richardson an offer to retain his rights but must decide whether to make room for him on the roster or encourage him to play a year overseas. Richardson’s reps want him to be in the NBA and it’s ultimately his choice whether to try to make the team in October.

The NBA 'has always been my dream; nobody wants to play anywhere else,' he said, adding he doesn’t know if he would consider a year overseas if asked."
Read more: http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/report-heat-to-make-offer-to-josh-richardson-after-strong-summer-league-072015

Reactions: 5 people
I'm confident that Josh has much more insight than I do, but it could be worth trying to stay on a Pat Riley-owned team. But Josh is a smart guy, he will make the right decision.

Obviously I'm biased here, but I'd think he would be their best perimeter defender the second he's added. I haven't seen their current roster, but after watching a few summer games I see them clearing a spot for him this yr. Jmo

Winslow may demand it. lol

Obviously I'm biased here, but I'd think he would be their best perimeter defender the second he's added. I haven't seen their current roster, but after watching a few summer games I see them clearing a spot for him this yr. Jmo

Winslow may demand it. lol

Apparently deng is a decent perimeter defender. Just a question of health.

So if he elects not to sign with them could another team sign him?

Once you go overseas that's it. Riley doesn't want any other team to have him. Better to not sign and get picked up by another NBA team. Plenty of teams could use Josh.

If he is offered a conditional contact, he can turn it down and be stashed over seas. The Heat would still have his rights next year. They would be working together so to speak with the idea of him making the roster next year. The only way to become a free agent is to be cut. You come back to same team if you play out of the country.

If he takes the conditional offer, he can try out to make the team and if he is cut he is a free agent. The problem with that is he is trying to make a team that wanted him to get seasoned over seas . By then most of the best contracts would have been given out in the best foreign leagues and most NBA rosters would be filled.

If they won't give him a guaranteed offer like Stokes got, I think I'd call their bluff and go to camp and think his summer league performance will get him a shot sooner rather than latter somewhere. His safest bet is to do what the Heat wants recognizing they have salary cap issues and would be well paid in Europe.

Reactions: 1 person
If they want him bad enough they will find a way...Josh is in a great situation as Micky arison is easily the best owner in all the NBA and treats his guys well...It's going to be great seeing josh play down here and he will blossom over time.

He can come to the Hawks. Probably won't happen, but I think he lands a bench spot somewhere. Will have to work from the bottom up though, in terms of getting minutes.

Man, tough call for Josh because the Heat have a solid roster, but he played his ass off in the preseason and deserves a roster spot THIS season. Pretty good problem to have, TBH.

I'd like to see him in the NBA next season. Heat should have made room. Hopefully there's a team who will take him. I don't know much about the NBA, but it seems like once you go the Europe route it becomes that much more difficult to get back

A good general rule of thumb in instances like this: TAKE THE MONEY! I hope Josh instructs his agent to do just that and not play too many games.

Europe is basically a black hole for players (with some exceptions of course). I'm sure his agent has made him aware of any other teams that would want his services. If he has other teams that are interested, I would be shocked if he went the overseas route just to get on the Heat roster some time in the future.

Good news everyone.. The Miami Heat traded Shabazz Napier to the Orlando Magic and also intend to trade Mario Chalmers. Which should leave room for Miami to offer a guaranteed (to partially guaranteed) contract. I have reading a few Miami Heat articles on Josh, and the Heat want him, but they just had to make room. This trade is definitely a good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Good news everyone.. The Miami Heat traded Shabazz Napier to the Orlando Magic and intends to trade Mario Chalmers. Which should leave room for Miami to pick him up. I've read a few Miami Heat articles on Josh and the Heat want him, but just had to make space. This space is definitely a good sign.

Interesting that they're shipping two point guards off. Makes it seem like they view josh as depth at either guard spot.

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting that they're shipping two point guards off. Makes it seem like they view josh as depth at either guard spot.

Meh, not really.

"This is a straight salary dump for the Heat. ... By doing this deal, it's gonna save them between $4.5-$5 million this year in tax and salary."

^their roster is full (with Josh included) so absent other trades, they will count on him for backup PG minutes at some point.

VN Store

Back