Kevin Punter changed his shot?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
This may have been discussed (I'm having a bit of deja vu as I post it), but I read Rick Barnes tweaked Kevin Punter's shot a bit. And based on his production in the RTL (43.7 ppg and 76 in his final game), I'm guessing this is a positive.

I don't know the extent of the change, and maybe it was just a minor adjustment, but I can't recall too many players changing their shot this late in their career.

"We started talking to him about tweaking some things with his shot," Barnes said. "It's hard to do that when you've done things your whole life a certain way. I'm not sure I've coached someone — I have, but not many — that have embraced it the way he has. It's a very frustrating thing to change a shot anyway.

"This morning when he was in there, he was working at it. He's had to deal with the frustration, because it's tough to do that. He's been a real champ, pro the way he's gone about it."

"(Punter's) work ethic, the way he's handled things, I told Shembari (Phillips) today, I said, 'If you're smart, you'll hitch your wagon to Kevin, and every time he's in here you should want to be with him,'" Barnes said. "When you've got a guy that's willing to put that much time in and show that much passion, that's something you want to develop in your program, and you hope it's handed down through the years."

Punter aims to 'step it up' for UT basketball | Local News | Times Free Press

Reactions: 7 people
Sure hope it works and hope Coach Barnes can "tweak" the rest of the team for a good season. :)

GO VOLS!

Scotty Hopson used to bring rain with his shot. We used to time it, like a punt. lol

Seriously, I believe it will allow Kevin not to have to fade away so often. Because he shot it across his head his release was a little slow. Imo He didn't have trouble getting it off because he has such a high release and again would fall away. As long as he's confident with it, should be a good thing.

Reactions: 1 person
Can't use the RTL as the end all, be all measuring stick but putting the ball in the hole a positive sign no matter where it happens. I think they tweaked the mechanics with the hopes of improving his 3pt %. He is good off the dribble and, as mentioned by others, his natural fade allows him to get it off. He is a throwback NY kid that has a real passion for the game.

I always wondered why guys are so hesisitant to change their shot, especially when their ceiling of consistency reaches a certain point (lets say can't become better than 36% from 3). I feel like having the perfect or fluid shooting mechanics would be the first step into becoming a professional wing player, but maybe thats just my opinion.

I really like that Kevin is such a hard worker, like Barnes mentioned, I hope it rubs off on our younger players.

I always wondered why guys are so hesisitant to change their shot, especially when their ceiling of consistency reaches a certain point (lets say can't become better than 36% from 3). I feel like having the perfect or fluid shooting mechanics would be the first step into becoming a professional wing player, but maybe thats just my opinion.

I really like that Kevin is such a hard worker, like Barnes mentioned, I hope it rubs off on our younger players.

Because you're getting a player out of his comfort zone and asking him to change something that has worked for him for years. That and the fact that muscle memory takes a lot of time to break. especially when it come to shooting. Even a little tweak can mess with you when trying to change your shot.

Because you're getting a player out of his comfort zone and asking him to change something that has worked for him for years. That and the fact that muscle memory takes a lot of time to break. especially when it come to shooting. Even a little tweak can mess with you when trying to change your shot.
Trust me, I know. But if it means you become a better shooter, its worth it. If a player can't shoot better than 30% from the 3 and is a gym rat always shooting but not improving - it goes right back to mechanics. It may take hundreds of hours, but if thats what it would take to be a better shooter (Tyler Harvey), I'd say its worth it.

Trust me, I know. But if it means you become a better shooter, its worth it. If a player can't shoot better than 30% from the 3 and is a gym rat always shooting but not improving - it goes right back to mechanics. It may take hundreds of hours, but if thats what it would take to be a better shooter (Tyler Harvey), I'd say its worth it.

I've seen guys try to change their shot and it never works, and they just shoot brick after brick and they can't fix it back.

Punter has a decent shot. His numbers were actually solid scoring.

He just can't handle the ball. That's his biggest weakness.

I understand that point of it. But if they're already shooting bad changing their jump shot is going to mess them up even a little bit more. but yeah I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

It seems like more times than not when you hear of a player trying to change their shot, that it ends up basically in disaster. You generally don't hear good stories when it comes to changing a players shot.

It seems like more times than not when you hear of a player trying to change their shot, that it ends up basically in disaster. You generally don't hear good stories when it comes to changing a players shot.
looks like it worked out for Josh and got him drafted by the Heat.... Just sayin

VN Store

Back