Point Guard by Committee - RB

SeniorDrill

Rick Barnes is looking at a point guard by committee situation. “We’ve had some guys that have shown us some different things, and I think we feel comfortable with those two guys, in particular.”
Those two guys are seniors Armani Moore and Kevin Punter. The 6-foot-5 pound Moore was initially recruited by former Vols coach Cuonzo Martin as a point guard but has been a much better player at shooting guard, small forward and especially at power forward. The 6-foot-4 Punter was initially recruited by former Vols coach Donnie Tyndall as a shooting guard but played the point in some situations last season.
PG-by-committee approach OK with Tennessee Vols' Rick Barnes

So is the Turner thing over?
The absence of info on him I'm the forum is puzzling.

One usually sees a dearth of replies when it turns out I might be right about something especially when the head coach more or less confirms it.

One usually sees a dearth of replies when it turns out I might be right about something especially when the head coach more or less confirms it.

Like i said in the other thread, it's July. This time last year Kevin Punter was a stone lock at PG and Willie Carmichael was going to be a big surprise in the post. Barnes will respond to questions with the best current info.

At this time in his first pre-season, Cuonzo was playing Armani at PG. Did that all the way into the exhbition trip. That didnt work out, either.

Nobody can say anything for sure until the full squad is on hand and real practice starts.

Mostella wasn't cleared until July 24 last season.
But let's drum up some drama til then.

Reactions: 4 people
SD, why is it that the only position you ever seem to pay attention to is point guard?

Obviously, the PG position had to be resolved by July 5th. This is all set in stone, written in blood even.

So it will be these two as backup Pgs.. Interesting. I was hoping Mostella would show out over KP or Moore.

So it will be these two as backup Pgs.. Interesting. I was hoping Mostella would show out over KP or Moore.

I don't think mostella will ever be able to play the 1, don't know if this was sarcasm or not lol but just saying I think mostella is better off scoring than setting up other people.

I don't think mostella will ever be able to play the 1, don't know if this was sarcasm or not lol but just saying I think mostella is better off scoring than setting up other people.

This. And he's better "off-ball" in a motion offense where he gets open looks off of catch and shoot plays. If he were PG he would be out of his comfort zone IMO.

This. And he's better "off-ball" in a motion offense where he gets open looks off of catch and shoot plays. If he were PG he would be out of his comfort zone IMO.
He was an awful catch and shoot type player this past year. We have an abundance of wing players, if Mostella could slide to the 1, it would first let Lamonte rest, and let Punter and Moore both play their normal positions. I'd rather have Mostella out of position to run Pg 5-10 minutes a game than having Kevin Punter. Mostella has the scoring potential yes, but unless he's been working to improve his game he will struggle in the same ways this year.

Barnes on Kevin Punter.

“No one has been more time in the gym this summer than Kevin. Nobody. And it’s not even close,” Barnes said. “He’s a guy that’s working. I think that when you’re a senior and you realize you’ve got one year left, and basketball’s something that you really love and you want it to be a part of your future, (you work harder). We talked to him about maybe tweaking some things in his shot, and it’s hard to do that when you’ve done things your whole life a certain way. I’m not sure if I’ve coached someone — well, I have but many — who have embraced it the way he has. It’s a very frustrating thing to change a shot, anyway, but like this morning, he was in there working at it, and I can tell he’s starting to feel good. He’s had to deal with the frustration, and it’s tough to do that, but he’s a real champ, a real pro the way he’s gone about it.

Tennessee Vols hoops coach Rick Barnes praises pair of seniors

Don't forget most think their 1-2 finish on RTL scoring average doesn't say much about them.

Don't forget most think their 1-2 finish on RTL scoring average doesn't say much about them.

So the 120-115 scores don't say anything to you?
Or one guy scoring 76 points.
That doesn't register in your scientific mind?

VN Store

Back