NCAA proposal: Players can return to school after declaring for NBA draft

volakil

College underclassmen will now have the opportunity to return to school even after declaring for the NBA draft, if a new proposal sponsored Wednesday by the NCAA men's basketball oversight committee is adopted by the membership in January.

The decision by the committee Wednesday in Indianapolis could be a watershed moment for college underclassmen and their coaches if players opt to return to school. Committee chair Dan Guerrero, who is also the UCLA athletic director, told ESPN that if the proposal is implemented it would be in place for the 2016 draft.

Under the proposal, which was a coordinated effort by the NCAA, the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the NBA, underclassmen would be allowed to attend the Chicago pre-draft combine in May, get evaluated by team personnel and given a true reading on their draft status. The players would then be able to decide if they wanted to stay in the draft or return to school. They couldn't sign with an agent, though.

College underclassmen will now have the opportunity to return to school even after declaring for the NBA draft, if a new proposal sponsored Wednesday by the NCAA men's basketball oversight committee is adopted by the membership in January.

The decision by the committee Wednesday in Indianapolis could be a watershed moment for college underclassmen and their coaches if players opt to return to school. Committee chair Dan Guerrero, who is also the UCLA athletic director, told ESPN that if the proposal is implemented it would be in place for the 2016 draft.

Under the proposal, which was a coordinated effort by the NCAA, the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the NBA, underclassmen would be allowed to attend the Chicago pre-draft combine in May, get evaluated by team personnel and given a true reading on their draft status. The players would then be able to decide if they wanted to stay in the draft or return to school. They couldn't sign with an agent, though.

Link: NCAA proposes new NBA draft rule to allow underclassmen to return to school

This sounds like a win-win for the NBA. Some of these kids REALLY need an agent for a big decision like this. Making a decision like this without someone to guide them thru looking out for their interests could be less than ideal.

This is a great proposal. Some of these kids have no business entering the draft, and a quick reality check at the combine amd camps is much needed to show them that fact. My main concern is them maintaining academic eligibility while training.

I wonder if Scotty hopson would've came back for another year or if he would said screw it and still turned pro when he didn't get drafted.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not typical.............. if they leave the college game, I'll never see them again.............

But that's just me. The NBA isn't able to pay their players from guys like me!

My question is would he have work any harder on the defensive end? That's his real achilles heal.

I saw Scotty on the D-League website. He had a pretty good season. He was like March or April's player of the month. Will play in the Summer League as well.

I saw Scotty on the D-League website. He had a pretty good season. He was like March or April's player of the month. Will play in the Summer League as well.

I wish he'd make an NBA roster. He's a heck of a scorer.

VN Store

Back